Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geno and Bengals to part ways after season?
The Bengals and Geno Atkins will have a conversation after the season, but the belief is the two parties are going to part ways, per a source. #Bengals

Would be a win for the Bengals and Geno IMO.

Also - you have to wonder if they Bengals didn't put him on IR sooner was because they were trying to trade him. Not sure I give this FO that much credit though.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
They can trade him after the season (they will probably just release him).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Unfortunate. I believe he still has some left in the tank. Plenty left, really. I mean, he is 32, not 38. He has one tackle on the season, barely plays and is nursing a shoulder injury. I think he will go somewhere and be productive again once he recovers and gets under a respectable coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 01:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals and Geno Atkins will have a conversation after the season, but the belief is the two parties are going to part ways, per a source. #Bengals

Would be a win for the Bengals and Geno IMO.

Also - you have to wonder if they Bengals didn't put him on IR sooner was because they were trying to trade him. Not sure I give this FO that much credit though.

He couldn't pass a physical to be traded with his shoulder.  He was basically doing them a solid and toughing it out for them due to all the injuries at DT.  

It's time to cut bait, but mad respect to Geno.  He's my all time favorite Bengal.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 01:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Unfortunate. I believe he still has some left in the tank. Plenty left, really. I mean, he is 32, not 38. He has one tackle on the season, barely plays and is nursing a shoulder injury. I think he will go somewhere and be productive again once he recovers and gets under a respectable coordinator.

He could be a really solid rotational piece for a team. Maybe not for 14 million dollars, but for the right amount. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I can see Atkins going.to.a contender like Kansas,City or Baltimore
In the off season.
Darn shame his last 2 years as a Bengals was spent under
A headcoach that could only win.4 games in 2 years
And a head coach that set this franchise back 3 years
Reply/Quote
Honestly I think a smart move would be to reconstruct his contract to have him stay. Because the salary cap is going to change next year and many veterans are not going to get top dollars in free agency as once before. So reconstruct a deal to keep him for depth and see if he can be a glimpse of his formal self or go ahead and trade him during the draft or release him. He still will always be a great player that has played for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Dude either hasn't been truly healthy since 2018 and/or just doesn't have it anymore.
He's played in 24 games since the start of 2019 and has only 4.5 sacks, 4 TFL, and 20 total pressures.
The 4.5 sacks, 4 TFLs, and 20 pressures came from 2019 (16 games). He has 0 in each of those categories this season.

It just makes too much sense to not gamble Atkins getting back to form at the cost that his contract commands ($14.8 mill in 2021, $16 mill in 2022). But then again, I said the same thing about AJ Green last year regarding the franchise tag.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Maybe he joins Dunlap in Seattle as a rotational piece. They could use guys who can get to the passer.
Reply/Quote
He was a lousy 14 million dollar cap hit in 2020.

He is like AJ, teams Can't count on him due to injury. That includes our team. Since no team is going to take his contract, we have no choice but to either restructure him for a bout 3 million a year of cut him.

I loved him, but in football guys just get damaged and old so from a business perspective, I think his cap if healthy for a new team (key being 100% healthy) is 4 to 5 million for a 1 year deal.

MB's biggest weakness is he is too loyal. If he trades Geno and Dunlap prior to 2020, he saves money to spend in 2021 or on other FA's in 2020 like OL. If he does not franchise AJ, 18 million saved. We have arounf 55 million plus tied up in 2020 in 3 has been players, we are a year late pulling the trigger, so now all we get is a 7th round pick and wasted 2020 and 2021 cap money to build around Joe B.

It is why we are one of worst run professional sports franchises.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:06 PM)Bengalsfanz Wrote: Honestly I think a smart move would be to reconstruct his contract to have him stay. Because the salary cap is going to change next year and many veterans are not going to get top dollars in free agency as once before. So reconstruct a deal to keep him for depth and see if he can be a glimpse of his formal self or go ahead and trade him during the draft or release him. He still will always be a great player that has played for the Bengals.

I mean, this sounds all well and good, but you have to ask yourself to very basic questions:

1.) What is his new market set at (renogitation amount)?

2.) Why would he take a lesser amount here, when he could he refuse, hit free agency, and sign a comparable deal elsewhere?

If I'm Geno Atkins I'm either having the Bengals pay my current contract or I'm getting the hell out of Dodge.  Go somewhere where you can win, and don't have to practice in the cold and rain like a High School kid.

But, if he's willing to redo his deal, and sign for like 2 years 8 million dollars then I'd keep him.  I just don't see why he'd take that here vs a contender with top notch facilites and ammentities.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, this sounds all well and good, but you have to ask yourself to very basic questions:

2.) Why would he take a lesser amount here, when he could he refuse, hit free agency, and sign a comparable deal elsewhere?

If I'm Geno Atkins I'm either having the Bengals pay my current contract or I'm getting the hell out of Dodge.  Go somewhere where you can win, and don't have to practice in the cold and rain like a High School kid.

But, if he's willing to redo his deal, and sign for like 2 years 8 million dollars then I'd keep him.  I just don't see why he'd take that here vs a contender with top notch facilites and ammentities.

What has he done since 2018 to deserve 8 million over 2 years? I would say we have DT's on our roster we paid less than a million a year and they did more than Geno the past 2 years. I loved Geno, but at least Dunlap has some swag left and proved it, Geno has proven to be a waste of space on our DL now for a very long time.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
DTs take a beating. Especially a player like Geno who constantly was getting double teamed.no one plays at a high level forever.
He has not been dominant in a long time.
Reply/Quote
Why keep Geno for another 2-14/4-12 season? We aren't competing for the next 5-10 years or so unless drastic measures are taken in the FO and Ownership (which they won't be).

Reply/Quote
Shocking.
Reply/Quote
considering we are probly years away(from a winning season if coaching changes do not occur)... Its the right thing to do for Geno if he wants it.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dude either hasn't been truly healthy since 2018 and/or just doesn't have it anymore.
He's played in 24 games since the start of 2019 and has only 4.5 sacks, 4 TFL, and 20 total pressures.
The 4.5 sacks, 4 TFLs, and 20 pressures came from 2019 (16 games). He has 0 in each of those categories this season.

It just makes too much sense to not gamble Atkins getting back to form at the cost that his contract commands ($14.8 mill in 2021, $16 mill in 2022). But then again, I said the same thing about AJ Green last year regarding the franchise tag.
 Last season our Defensive line was a lot better when we had the starting D-Line out there. Hubbard, Dunlap, and Lawson all produced at high level. A lot of that had to do with Atkins creating havoc up the middle. Secondly he didn't produce this season because he hardly played and he evidently had a serious injury.  
Saying he is done might be a huge stretch at this point. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why keep Geno for another 2-14/4-12 season? We aren't competing for the next 5-10 years or so unless drastic measures are taken in the FO and Ownership (which they won't be).

Can you be more melo dramatic? What do you mean we won't be competing til the next 5-10 years? 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:12 PM)J24 Wrote: Can you be more melo dramatic? What do you mean we won't be competing til the next 5-10 years? 

We haven't competed in the prior 5 years, how about you tell me why we will compete without significant changes the next 5? Have you seen this division? 

Even with coaching changes we are likely 2 drafts (thanks to not having enough picks to fix everything) away. That 2 more years under best case scenario right there. 

At this point the notion that we will be competitive given the last 5 years, the rise of the division, and the current state of the post Marvin era (given the state of the pre Marvin era, and the fact the FO has never been able to win without Marvin), the explanation should come from those who think that "hot take" that we aren't 5-19 years away.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, this sounds all well and good, but you have to ask yourself to very basic questions:

You do have a vailed point but this was kind of the same issues in the past for Aj Green. Really the right approach was to trade Geno last year when his value was high and get a decent third or fourth round pick for him. Also should have traded Aj Green, Carlos Dunlap and Andy Dalton. A huge mistake and miss which always happens all the time with this franchise. They have no general manager and Mike Brown and Duke Tobin are too stubborn to look for the best interest in the team long-term and building a strong franchise. Miami Dolphins are a prime example of this motto the past few years. Now look at there roster and success.
Reply/Quote