Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Geoff Hobson is Back
Here to Brownspalin how the Bengals are dead ass broke despite having a ton of cap space this offseason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXF_eVDvWRM
Reply/Quote
Hobson is clueless on the cap and the process.

He constantly talks about how you need a cap pool for the drafted rookies, but what he doesn't understand is that you are replacing vets on the team who are already hitting the cap with those said rookies. 53 players is 53 players. It's not an additional 7 players you are adding to the roster. You're replacing.

I suggest you all watch this Bengals free agency sim. Much better explanation on what the Bengals could really do:

[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
It's a yearly ritual with Hobspin. Even though the Bengals have like the 6th most cap space or whatever totaling millions of $$$, he makes it out to be they're nearly broke and the worst in the league in space.

Same old Hobspin song and dance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
God lord you folks are sad. He isn't even a reporter. He WORKS for the Bengals. He reports what he's told to report. He's doing his job.

The only clueless people are the ones who think he's going to report real news and then get upset when he doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: God lord you folks are sad.  He isn't even a reporter.  He WORKS for the Bengals.  He reports what he's told to report.  He's doing his job.

The only clueless people are the ones who think he's going to report real news and then get upset when he doesn't.

OK
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Geoff is pushing the Brown talking points. Like it or not the FA period will return to the pre Zac era budgeting plan.

There is going to be a lot of disappointed fans.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: Geoff is pushing the Brown talking points. Like it or not the FA period will return to the pre Zac era budgeting plan.

He's been saying that for the last 4 seasons though?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:05 AM)Stewy Wrote: God lord you folks are sad.  He isn't even a reporter.  He WORKS for the Bengals.  He reports what he's told to report.  He's doing his job.

I disagree when it comes to the cap stuff. Hobson has demonstrated over the years that he doesn't understand it...at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 02:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I disagree when it comes to the cap stuff. Hobson has demonstrated over the years that he doesn't understand it...at all.

Yep, he has been wrong for years on the cap stuff. Anything Hobspin says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Good times, couldn't stand it when the guy was right.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 02:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I disagree when it comes to the cap stuff. Hobson has demonstrated over the years that he doesn't understand it...at all.

My key point was that he's a paid muppet who does what he's told, and getting upset over his pieces says more about the reader than him, and I stand by that stance.
Reply/Quote
I hate anyone repeating Tobin’s moronic comment, “We’re not in the business of making other teams better.” As if it’s a one sided deal. Also, you can keep a player you may lose from going to KC, Buffalo or an AFC north team.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: Geoff is pushing the Brown talking points. Like it or not the FA period will return to the pre Zac era budgeting plan.

You only get disappointed if you have expectations and desires.  Call me a Bengal Buddhist, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 04:00 PM)Stewy Wrote: My key point was that he's a paid muppet who does what he's told, and getting upset over his pieces says more about the reader than him, and I stand by that stance.

Nothing wrong with not liking what he says.
Reply/Quote

Why are the Bengals telling him to report that? 
Reply/Quote

I totally get he's going to tow the company line. But he can do that without totally insulting our intelligence.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hobson is clueless on the cap and the process.

He constantly talks about how you need a cap pool for the drafted rookies, but what he doesn't understand is that you are replacing vets on the team who are already hitting the cap with those said rookies. 53 players is 53 players. It's not an additional 7 players you are adding to the roster. You're replacing.

I suggest you all watch this Bengals free agency sim. Much better explanation on what the Bengals could really do:

I watched it already and I am a big fan of Goodberry. I definitely don't have the best understanding of the cap and all the ways teams can get around it (not that the Bengals utilize all the tools available). I believe he said only the top 51 actually count against the cap.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 08:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I watched it already and I am a big fan of Goodberry. I definitely don't have the best understanding of the cap and all the ways teams can get around it (not that the Bengals utilize all the tools available). I believe he said only the top 51 actually count against the cap.

This is true.  One of Hobson's annual fallacies is that we have to have millions and millions to sign the rookies, when in truth only the 1st rounder and maybe the 2nd rounder actually end up counting against the cap.  

Reply/Quote
I take Hobson's annual poor-mouthing a lot less seriously these days. Much like Lapham and the draft leaks every year, I think Hobson has less access to the grand plan than he used to. I don't think we'll see runs in fa like the first couple of Taylor years, but they'll still be moderately active.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 09:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I take Hobson's annual poor-mouthing a lot less seriously these days.  Much like Lapham and the draft leaks every year, I think Hobson has less access to the grand plan than he used to.  I don't think we'll see runs in fa like the first couple of Taylor years, but they'll still be moderately active.

Yes, everything is much better now a days around here. It is refreshing.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 09:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I take Hobson's annual poor-mouthing a lot less seriously these days.  Much like Lapham and the draft leaks every year, I think Hobson has less access to the grand plan than he used to.  I don't think we'll see runs in fa like the first couple of Taylor years, but they'll still be moderately active.

Agreed since the Bengals have been active in free agency under Taylor. Signing Orlando Brown Jr. last free agency wasn't exactly a conservative move for a cash poor or cap-restricted team.
Reply/Quote