Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aqib Talib: Why no public outcry?
(02-12-2016, 10:29 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Honestly, I would be fine if the NFL adopted the college targeting rule.

Anyone guilty of targeting, you are ejected. You would have to make it reviewable though, just so you can make sure you get the call right.

The only problem with that is, college refs on the whole were a mile better than NFL refs this year. And they still found a way to absolutely botch that rule. 

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 06:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Possibly.  Then again, the general public seemed to think Peyton Manning is a class act who deserves to be dragged to a final title, so I'm sure some people involved in the game were duped as well, ha.
NFL = WWF 

Trust me, it can almost be proved. What about the play of a Panthers DE pulling Luke's arm off of Denver's RB for the score, have anyone else seen that play?

https://www.facebook.com/shamar.duncan/videos/955302177899380/?fref=nf
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 11:30 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is Alib Talib's face mask on a Carolina player during the Super Bowl not drawing more media and public out cry? That was about as dirty of a play you will see.

And then Talib has the nerve to say this about the play:

“[The facemask] I just did on purpose, and I just had to show him. It’s probably going to be a fine, but, hey, we’re world champs.”

Will Talib get suspended next season for the play? Will he get fined?

Is this all Vontez Burficts fault?

Probably.

Here is the video of the play if you havent seen it:

http://deadspin.com/aqib-talib-admits-he-tried-to-rip-corey-browns-head-off-1758007923?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I honestly think it's because the NFL or the media didn't want to have another controversy after the Super Bowl like last year. Last year they had a huge controversy around flat footballs and things were so drawn out that a lot of people were saying the Patriots cheated. Everyone has their own opinion and perspective on things but I think if the NFL and media was focused on Aqib to that extent it just would have demolished Super Bowl. If you truly think about it "Aqib Talib" should have been suspended the instant the face mask penalty took place or the second he got called for two fouls. They should have said lets kick him out he's way out of character. Since they missed that there is no point in discussing it too much and better to leave it alone. But I feel your pain. 
Reply/Quote
There is a big outcry, even besides Bengals fans.

But the NFL isn't going to suspend a player right after they win the Super Bowl. It hasn't even been a week since the Super Bowl.

Yes, they suspended Burfict on Monday. But the Broncos held a parade on Tuesday.

Give it time, he will get suspended. The NFL is just trying to stay away from controversy right now.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 10:29 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Honestly, I would be fine if the NFL adopted the college targeting rule.

Anyone guilty of targeting, you are ejected. You would have to make it reviewable though, just so you can make sure you get the call right.

In college, the targeting call is always reviewed.

IMHO, the NFL absolutely has to get this under control and I am fine with them adopting a modification of the "yellow card/red card" soccer system. 

First personal foul=yellow card. Second yellow in the same game=red card=ejection plus 1 game suspension. Try this for 1 or 2 seasons. If personal fouls are down, great. If not, alter the rule to be ... second yellow card in the same season=ejection plus a 1 game suspension.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 11:32 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: In college, the targeting call is always reviewed.

IMHO, the NFL absolutely has to get this under control and I am fine with them adopting a modification of the "yellow card/red card" soccer system. 

First personal foul=yellow card. Second yellow in the same game=red card=ejection plus 1 game suspension. Try this for 1 or 2 seasons. If personal fouls are down, great. If not, alter the rule to be ... second yellow card in the same season=ejection plus a 1 game suspension.

Horrible idea. 
Might be one of the worst I've heard. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 08:01 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: NFL = WWF 

Trust me, it can almost be proved. What about the play of a Panthers DE pulling Luke's arm off of Denver's RB for the score, have anyone else seen that play?

https://www.facebook.com/shamar.duncan/videos/955302177899380/?fref=nf

This is silly.  Every fan of every team in the league has examples where his team was clearly "robbed" by the officials.

How can it be fixed if every single team is getting robbed?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 11:44 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Winning changes the narrative.  It may not be right, but it's how things work.  He'll get suspended, but they won the game and that's all people are focused on.  If the Bengals would have held on, Burfict's hit would not have garnered as much attention either.  Also throw in the fact that the Bengals were on the verge of winning their first playoff game in almost three decades, Burficts history, and you knew it would get talked about.

Damn love that pic on your profile lol. As for your comment regarding winning the game and Burfict's hit. I think that makes sense especially since usually a win would change the subject at this point. When a team loses everyone focuses on the little things and take thing out of proportion. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 02:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Horrible idea. 
Might be one of the worst I've heard. 

And just why is that, pray tell?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 11:59 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: And just why is that, pray tell?

The refs can barely call a single game without botching a personal foul. Now you want to give them carte blanche on the ability to eject players over two personal fouls in a season? That's lunacy.

Incidental contact to the helmet and facemask are now 15 yards. You apparently think they should also get suspended for it. 
Reply/Quote
Look at baseball. An umpire can toss any player for just arguing balls and strikes. I think most of us have seen Votto tossed just for giving dirty looks so there is a huge discrepancy between the two sports, but why? It's always seemed a bit odd.
The case of Pete Rose..banned for life from baseball? The guy is too old to play anyway and nobody would hire him to manage a team so it's an absolutely pointless ban at this point in time. In football to get a lifetime ban it really has little to do with how a player plays.Hell, they could get caught red handed gambling on a game and caught throwing a game and sign a confession and probably play the next game.
It's about revenue. With everything follow the money and it will tell you all you need to know, but we're not privy to the money so it gets to remain the dirty little secret..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 11:32 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: In college, the targeting call is always reviewed.

It is beyond ludicrous that every single call is not able to be reviewed currently.  The technology exists that the review official can quickly look at the play and determine if it was called correctly on the field.  You have a set of officials in New York whose job it is to review any play that involves targeting before the player is actually ejected.  It's pretty simple.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 03:04 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The sooner everyone realizes that nobody likes the Bengals the better off you will be.

sad but true.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 01:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Look at baseball. An umpire can toss any player for just arguing balls and strikes. I think most of us have seen Votto tossed just for giving dirty looks so there is a huge discrepancy between the two sports, but why?

In all fairness there are 162 games in the MLB season and 16 in the NFL season, so getting tossed out of 1 NFL game is like getting tossed out of 10 MLB games...or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 01:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The refs can barely call a single game without botching a personal foul. Now you want to give them carte blanche on the ability to eject players over two personal fouls in a season? That's lunacy.

Incidental contact to the helmet and facemask are now 15 yards. You apparently think they should also get suspended for it. 

Have you ever seen a college football game where there was a targeting call and a subsequent ejection. The play is REVIEWED by officials before the ejection. The same would happen in the NFL and should be reviewed by league officials before the ejection

Furthermore, 2 yellows in the same game is an idea, nothing more. They could make it 3 or 4 or 10 ... as long as players know there are consequences.

As others have said, Burfict had 3 PF penalties all of the 2015 season so even had this rule been in effect, it would not have affected him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2016, 10:58 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Have you ever seen a college football game where there was a targeting call and a subsequent ejection. The play is REVIEWED by officials before the ejection. The same would happen in the NFL and should be reviewed by league officials before the ejection

Furthermore, 2 yellows in the same game is an idea, nothing more. They could make it 3 or 4 or 10 ... as long as players know there are consequences.

As others have said, Burfict had 3 PF penalties all of the 2015 season so even had this rule been in effect, it would not have affected him.

You never specified review. And even then, they STILL get it wrong all the time. 
I posted two plays from this year, flagged, ejected and upheld. 
Horrible, horrible calls that cost two kids parts of their collegiate careers because refs are too stupid for their own good.

Until refs can get out of their own way, ejections are an awful idea. 
Reply/Quote