Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka penalty
(09-11-2016, 10:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: Exactly, theres was also nothing wrong with the Ilona hit. If you find it and watch it again you'll think flag football is around the corner if that hit warranted a flag.

You can have this opinion, but you should understand the difference between the two plays. Jones was a runner which is ruled differently compared to a receiver who is defenseless trying to catch a pass. 

If a receiver is looking to catch a pass and cannot move to avoid contact, he is considered defenseless. From my memory it looked like he had not established himself as a runner yet and the ref felt Iloka hit him in the neck/head area so it was a reasonable call. Jones was not defenseless and clearly a runner so no call was made. I don't even remember him getting hit that high, but I would also have to see the play again. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:55 PM)GodFather Wrote: Exactly, theres was also nothing wrong with the Ilona hit. If you find it and watch it again you'll think flag football is around the corner if that hit warranted a flag.

In 10 years I dont think the game will look much like the football we all grew up with. Its already much different. We are definitely heading the flag football direction lol. I've been complaining about Goodell since he was hired. Was even trolled on the old board over it, of course until the suspensions started rolling in, and inconsistent punishments, more rules that make it harder to play and watch, etc, etc. Watching football news started looking more and more like a Springer episode. So yah until he's gone, we will keep moving that direction and ticket prices will continue to soar to absurd levels. What's Goodell's goals for 2017, like 23 BILLION or something? Yeah other than all of them getting richer off us whilst our taxes pay for stadiums, he hasnt done much good for the lowly football fans. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I thought for a second there, the officials were going to pick up the flag.

They should have. It was a BS call. Its getting to the point where football is almost unwatchable. If they want to protect the players thats fine, but if they want to protect the game then they need to change the rules and make "penalties" like that reviewable.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:03 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I haven't seen this discussed yet. That personal foul penalty called on Iloka that ultimately ended in a TD was IMO, ridiculous. There is no way that should have been flagged and my TV (and my wife) sure did hear a lot about it from me. I was livid.

I really believe the league should allow one coaches challenge on a penalty called per game. I understand that hits like that are bang bang plays and in real speed it may be hard to tell. So why not allow a challenge there? It was an awful call that could have been made right immediately. I have no doubt in my mind that would have been reversed if that provision were available. So am I crazy or does this make sense for the league to explore?

Receiver didn't even catch the )(&*%&$ ball....and Iloka hit him in the shoulder.  If he went to his knee, he would be chastised for trying to end a guys career.

Absolute horseshit call that gave them a free first down after they would have been punting. 

On another note, when is George going to start be more of a downhill run stuffer?  Our safeties were no help today in run support.  Late to the play, and poor tackling. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lets face it, if you are a Bengals Safety, you can't hit people. It is ALWAYS a penalty.

Not true:

Reply/Quote
It was a bullshit call. Iloka led with the shoulder and hit the shoulder right as the ball arrived.

It's a clean hit and the helmet to helmet Nancy boys need to see a real helmet to helmet hit
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Only screamed at my TV 3 times.

When AJ scored the first TD.
When AJ stumbled out of bounds when he could have had the HUGE TD (damn AJ that coulda been amazing lol)
When Iloka was called on that BS

Lets face it, if you are a Bengals Safety, you can't hit people. It is ALWAYS a penalty.

Lol same here. You know what's funny though is Mike Mitchell can lay devestating helmet to helmet hits that cause concussions all game long and yet he doesn't get penalized, fined, or suspended. The call on Iloka was straight bs.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:03 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I haven't seen this discussed yet. That personal foul penalty called on Iloka that ultimately ended in a TD was IMO, ridiculous. There is no way that should have been flagged and my TV (and my wife) sure did hear a lot about it from me. I was livid.

I really believe the league should allow one coaches challenge on a penalty called per game. I understand that hits like that are bang bang plays and in real speed it may be hard to tell. So why not allow a challenge there? It was an awful call that could have been made right immediately. I have no doubt in my mind that would have been reversed if that provision were available. So am I crazy or does this make sense for the league to explore?

Here's the thing, at least IMO. The Bengals are pretty much "marked" at this point after the playoff game last year and how much publicity the personal fouls got. If you're in the secondary and going after a receiver while wearing Bengal colors you better make it super clean every single time. Whether they like it or not the perception is out there that the Bengals players don't always play clean. Every ref right now has that perception, until we go through a long stretch (probably a season) without a big fine/suspension for hit to the head, etc. we won't shake our image. As the NFL moves more and more to improve it's public view of player safety we will continue to be on the wrong side of the fifty-fifty calls until our image improves. The NFL doesn't want to second guess the refs anymore than they have to so I really doubt a challenge will come into place. My 2 cents.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:49 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Here's the thing, at least IMO. The Bengals are pretty much "marked" at this point after the playoff game last year and how much publicity the personal fouls got. If you're in the secondary and going after a receiver while wearing Bengal colors you better make it super clean every single time. Whether they like it or not the perception is out there that the Bengals players don't always play clean. Every ref right now has that perception, until we go through a long stretch (probably a season) without a big fine/suspension for hit to the head, etc. we won't shake our image. As the NFL moves more and more to improve it's public view of player safety we will continue to be on the wrong side of the fifty-fifty calls until our image improves. The NFL doesn't want to second guess the refs anymore than they have to so I really doubt a challenge will come into place. My 2 cents.

I tend to agree with this.... except Iloka nailed someone in the endzone and it wasn't called lol. Thought that deserved a flag.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 11:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: Not true:

Ah the 1 time in the last 5 seasons lol.

Thank you for posting though, I DO love a good Reggie thumping.
Reply/Quote
Pacman got hit square in the chest. There wasn't helmet to helmet contact.

As for Iloka's penalty, yes, it was crap. However, if they call it consistently the rest of the year, I won't argue with it.
Reply/Quote

Ball in receiver's hands, Iloka did not launch, did not hit helmet to helmet, did not touch head or face mask of receiver, it was a good clean football play. I could not believe it was flagged.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I was equally livid on that call.  Utter horseshit is what it was.  No doubt in my mind that penalty was called because it was the Bengals defense.  I get the feeling that not only does Burfict (and to an extent, Adam Jones) have a bullseye on their backs with the refs, it seemed to me that the zebra bullseye has now bled over to the entire team, especially the defense.  That was a shoulder to shoulder hit, nothing more.  And a good hit, at that.  It was a bunch of shit, is what it was...
Reply/Quote

It was bullshit for sure.  I was in Hooter's.....had to calm myself down rather quickly after a short outburst...lol.  Thank goodness there were several other Bengal fans in there as well.

I agree with your premise, and even stated something similar about this very topic on the mothership.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Out of the 2 huge Ilona hits I thought the one on bm in back of end zone was worse that the hit he was flagged for.
Reply/Quote
Just watched the game and yeah those calls were bullshit.

We just gotta accept this isn't gonna be a good season for us. Whenever we hit anyone hard the crowd will cry and basically force the refs to throw a flag.
Reply/Quote
does anyone have a video of the hit? I cant seem to find it anywhere. I do remember it being bs, however I would like to see it again
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:14 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I yelled when the jets timekeeper started screwing us at the end of the half. Did anyone else find it odd when we threw to the sidelines four straight times, caught, player went out of bounds moving forward, yet nearly two minutes ticked off between plays.  That was egregious, not sure how the refs didn't catch that the player caught the ball, went out of bounds at 2:12, then time rolls off and it's the two minute warning.

Not egregious, they timed it correctly.

(09-11-2016, 10:16 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: No...no more reviews.  It sucks but we deal with it.  And IMO, they dont turn that penalty over in a review because there was helmet contact

This ^

(09-11-2016, 10:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: That call was pure horseshit, which led to a Jets TD as a result. My question is why wasn't the hit to Jones on the following kickoff called for the same thing?

Because it is not the same thing.  Jones was a runner.

(09-11-2016, 11:02 PM)MrRager Wrote: You can have this opinion, but you should understand the difference between the two plays. Jones was a runner which is ruled differently compared to a receiver who is defenseless trying to catch a pass. 

If a receiver is looking to catch a pass and cannot move to avoid contact, he is considered defenseless. From my memory it looked like he had not established himself as a runner yet and the ref felt Iloka hit him in the neck/head area so it was a reasonable call. Jones was not defenseless and clearly a runner so no call was made. I don't even remember him getting hit that high, but I would also have to see the play again. 

What he said above, but Jones did get rocked.
(09-12-2016, 12:08 PM)xxlt Wrote: Ball in receiver's hands, Iloka did not launch, did not hit helmet to helmet, did not touch head or face mask of receiver, it was a good clean football play. I could not believe it was flagged.

The bold is incorrect, his helmet hit the helmet of the receiver, thus the flag.

The reality of the modern NFL is that the "Big Hitter" safety is a liability.  He needs to learn how to come in low and not high.  Drill the ball so it comes free, not the upper body (hell, might break the receivers hand so he can't catch another one).
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:14 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I yelled when the jets timekeeper started screwing us at the end of the half. Did anyone else find it odd when we threw to the sidelines four straight times, caught, player went out of bounds moving forward, yet nearly two minutes ticked off between plays.  That was egregious, not sure how the refs didn't catch that the player caught the ball, went out of bounds at 2:12, then time rolls off and it's the two minute warning.
I saw that too and wondered WTF was going on. I fully expected the Ref to ask for the game clock to be reset...he didn't.
Reply/Quote

That was garbage but they missed one they could have easily called in the end-zone when he hit Brandon Marshall!
Reply/Quote