Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka penalty
(09-12-2016, 09:16 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: What he said above, but Jones did get rocked.

The bold is incorrect, his helmet hit the helmet of the receiver, thus the flag.

The reality of the modern NFL is that the "Big Hitter" safety is a liability.  He needs to learn how to come in low and not high.  Drill the ball so it comes free, not the upper body (hell, might break the receivers hand so he can't catch another one).
There was no helmet to helmet on that play. I have no idea what you were watching.
Reply/Quote
I said during the game day thread that it was a good call... "Hit to the head/neck area". Somebody on here who was most likely drunk called me a moron because he was watching it on a 60" tv from 5 feet away. Well, so was I, and I was taping it. It may have been  shoulder to shoulder, it was a also a hit to the head, and on the slow motion you can see the heads move when they collide. With the concussion crap going around, that is going to get called every time. If you people can't see that you either need to get glasses, read an NFL rulebook, or just admit you're no better than Stoolers fans whining about every call. I really like Iloka, but if he does not learn to lower his target, he is going to get called over and over again, and cost us. The first hit that he got away with was more egregious in that he launched on that one and the refs missed it. I'm sure they got the call from the booth to watch him. Shoulder to shoulder....LMFAO.
[img][Image: Iloka%203.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%204.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%205.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%208.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%209.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%2011.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka10.png][/img]

If you truly think this was not a legitimate call on hitting a receiver in the head/neck area, you need to drink less beer during the game...... Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Nice try on those still shots. You know what is missing though? The helmet to helmet contact. If he would have hit his helmet you would have seen his head rocked back by the impact. Never happens.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:30 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Nice try on those still shots. You know what is missing though? The helmet to helmet contact. If he would have hit his helmet you would have seen his head rocked back by the impact. Never happens.

Uh, yeah it does... I just watched it on slow motion 5 times.... and the point is, any hit in the head neck area is going to get flagged. Iloka knows that....
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:30 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Nice try on those still shots. You know what is missing though? The helmet to helmet contact. If he would have hit his helmet you would have seen his head rocked back by the impact. Never happens.
It's when (and why) his head leans to the right while his body is still going straight.

No one said he ear-holed him, but he hit the receivers head, which IS a foul in the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The fifth still is when the helmets touch, the 6th is when they are coming apart. You can see his head/neck go to the right at impact. If it was all shoulder to shoulder, his head would have rocked towards Iloka....
Reply/Quote
Since we're talking about the hit on Adam Jones, he definitely got speared on that play. That special teamer put his head down, aimed for Jones' chest, and drove the crown of his helmet into him. It actually was a blatantly illegal hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I said during the game day thread that it was a good call... "Hit to the head/neck area". Somebody on here who was most likely drunk called me a moron because he was watching it on a 60" tv from 5 feet away. Well, so was I, and I was taping it. It may have been  shoulder to shoulder, it was a also a hit to the head, and on the slow motion you can see the heads move when they collide. With the concussion crap going around, that is going to get called every time. If you people can't see that you either need to get glasses, read an NFL rulebook, or just admit you're no better than Stoolers fans whining about every call. I really like Iloka, but if he does not learn to lower his target, he is going to get called over and over again, and cost us. The first hit that he got away with was more egregious in that he launched on that one and the refs missed it. I'm sure they got the call from the booth to watch him. Shoulder to shoulder....LMFAO.
[img][Image: Iloka%203.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%205.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%208.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka%2011.png][/img]
[img][Image: Iloka10.png][/img]

If you truly think this was not a legitimate call on hitting a receiver in the head/neck area, you need to drink less beer during the game...... Sarcasm

Technically you may be right but I think its still a bad rule because he clearly wasn't aiming for the head. It seemed the helmet contact was incidental and I think the NFL should take a look at that during the offseason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:22 AM)J24 Wrote: Technically you may be right but I think its still a bad rule because he clearly wasn't aiming for the head. It seemed the helmet contact was incidental and I think the NFL should take a look at that during the offseason.

While I don't think the hit should have been flagged, the NFL has specifically stated that even incidental helmet to helmet contact is not allowed. Basically it is the defenders job to make sure they don't go that high no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Uh, yeah it does... I just watched it on slow motion 5 times.... and the point is, any hit in the head neck area is going to get flagged. Iloka knows that....

I'm kind of following Iloka's facemask.  Doesn't seem like any kind of launch is happening.
Reply/Quote
It was shoulder to shoulder and can't be argued otherwise. Big time BS call.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:24 AM)treee Wrote: While I don't think the hit should have been flagged, the NFL has specifically stated that even incidental helmet to helmet contact is not allowed. Basically it is the defenders job to make sure they don't go that high no matter what.

I get it but I don't like it. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:39 AM)J24 Wrote: I get it but I don't like it. 

Yea on one hand it's just another advantage for offense going with the trend for the past 20 years. On the other hand though, penalties based on intent are really hard to judge and end up with a lot of controversy. Seems like the NFL was in a tough spot on this one and decided to just go the player safety route.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 10:23 PM)MrRager Wrote: The clock doesn't stop unless it's under 2 min in the first half. This wasn't some sly scheme by the Jets and the NFL isn't out to get the Bengals by not enforcing the rules.

This is incorrect.  It is the last 5 minutes of a half.  Outside of the last 5 minutes the clock starts at the spotting of the ball. 

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

See page 12.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:24 AM)treee Wrote: While I don't think the hit should have been flagged, the NFL has specifically stated that even incidental helmet to helmet contact is not allowed. Basically it is the defenders job to make sure they don't go that high no matter what.

If there was contact with the helmet it was baaaaaaaarely.  This should not have been a penalty.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:55 AM)EatonFan Wrote: This is incorrect.  It is the last 5 minutes of a half.  Outside of the last 5 minutes the clock starts at the spotting of the ball. 

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

See page 12.

I couldn't find anything on page 12, but I did find the rule on page 20. Look at the top of page 20 and it clearly says the clock only stops from going out of bounds after the 2 min warning of the first half, or at 5 min in the second half. So they change it depending on the half.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:22 AM)J24 Wrote: Technically you may be right but I think its still a bad rule because he clearly wasn't aiming for the head. It seemed the helmet contact was incidental and I think the NFL should take a look at that during the offseason.

I'm not saying I like the rule, I don't. But, the rule is the rule. Iloka either learns to lower his target or he's gonna get flagged every time.... this was a good call, according to the rules as written, and anyone who can't see that is blind.
Reply/Quote

Exactly!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:32 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm kind of following Iloka's facemask.  Doesn't seem like any kind of launch is happening.

He didn't launch on this one, he launched on the first one he got away with...... and even though the refs didn't see it, I'm sure the officials in Philly saw it and radioed it in to watch him.....
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 12:59 AM)EatonFan Wrote: If there was contact with the helmet it was baaaaaaaarely.  This should not have been a penalty.

Read the rulebook. Contact is contact, there is no degree of how hard in the rule..... I don't like it either, but it is what it is....
Reply/Quote