Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka's Tweet Indicates Where He Wants To Be
(02-24-2016, 05:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We should also have the money to re-sign all of them. There's no reason to watch all of these guys leave.

Right on, I mean this is why we don't spend big $ on FA. We draft and retain our own. Right Mike?

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: When it comes to getting paid, more money means more love, respect, acknowledgement, whatever you want to call it.

I get what you're saying, but that's not always the case. The team that drafted you may have just as much love and respect for you abilities, but they just so happen to have less money to offer. It happens.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:48 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Right on, I mean this is why we don't spend big $ on FA. We draft and retain our own. Right Mike?

That is the company line.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:48 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Right on, I mean this is why we don't spend big $ on FA. We draft and retain our own. Right Mike?

Katie will offer him a fair deal im sure... But not one that will hurt the team and not one that will pay him more than what they believe his market value is.

Which is why sometimes you see free agents leave to sign for just a little more elsewhere but then they usually get cut from those places before getting all there money. so really they end up with less.

If only there was someone looking out for a players best interest and not just trying to line their pockets off their clinets success.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:50 PM)McC Wrote: That is the company line.

I hear ya, but with Andre and Sanu leaving on top of the other $ left over.. it really shouldn't be a problem to sign Nelson, Iloka, A Jones and Hall. I'm still waiting to see what M. Jones price tag is.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:57 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I hear ya, but with Andre and Sanu leaving on top of the other $ left over.. it really shouldn't be a problem to sign Nelson, Iloka, A Jones and Hall. I'm still waiting to see what M. Jones price tag is.

Totally agree.  You also have Leon's contract coming off the books.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 06:01 PM)McC Wrote: Totally agree.  You also have Leon's contract coming off the books.

I'm confused when it comes to Leon because you want to give him vet minimum due to injury concerns. Still it's freaking Leon and vet minimum just sounds weird because he is only 31 and a all time Bengal great. 

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 06:05 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'm confused when it comes to Leon because you want to give him vet minimum due to injury concerns. Still it's freaking Leon and vet minimum just sounds weird because he is only 31 and a all time Bengal great. 

So, maybe you give him vet min plus a mil or two.  

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 06:15 PM)McC Wrote: So, maybe you give him vet min plus a mil or two.  

This. Plus Leon - while declining - is still worth more than "vet minimum".

That's not the going rate for solid nickel corners in an era where all teams use 3 WRs fairly regularly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
"Me hand"?

Is that good or bad?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 05:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: For me it would all depend on where my family wanted to be and possibly other factors. Rich is rich. I don't need much to be happy, so going from $6 million to $8 million really wouldn't matter much.

I wasn't taking a shot at this thread or anything, I was just suggesting that it seems most of our players love playing for the Bengals.

Iloka is just more proof of that.

For all of us the money would be not a big deal because we have never had it on that scale.

These guys live in a different world. Pac Man reportedly blew 1 million in a weekend once. Not all are like that but still the difference between 6 and 8 million is something that would have to be considered. 

Bengals will have to offer fair market value and with that being said believe they will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Given the age disparity between Nelson and Iloka, I'd say Iloka has to be the priority of the two.

That being said, I see no reason why we can't keep both.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 07:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This. Plus Leon - while declining - is still worth more than "vet minimum".

That's not the going rate for solid nickel corners in an era where all teams use 3 WRs fairly regularly.

I hear you Shake and I even repped mcC for the 1 mil extra suggestion. You also have to remember that we (i really do hate saying "we") paid him a lot of money last year and through the 2 achilles tears as well.  Leon may kinda owe "us"  a home town discount, at least for a year. I know i know injuries happen..just give us a year.

Reply/Quote
Iloka is obviously going to say he wants to be here because, even if he doesn't, it drives up the cost that other teams would offer to get him away.

Maybe he really does want to be here and I hope it's true, but I'm far from saying it's a certainty.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 09:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Iloka is obviously going to say he wants to be here because, even if he doesn't, it drives up the cost that other teams would offer to get him away.

Maybe he really does want to be here and I hope it's true, but I'm far from saying it's a certainty.

I'm in this boat as well. While I would like to think Iloka is excited to remain a Bengal, I will believe it when I see it. 
With so many players treating their time in the NFL as a business (as I feel they should), I often feel like things are said as part of "gamesmanship", so to speak. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 09:29 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I hear you Shake and I even repped mcC for the 1 mil extra suggestion. You also have to remember that we (i really do hate saying "we") paid him a lot of money last year and through the 2 achilles tears as well.  Leon may kinda owe "us"  a home town discount, at least for a year. I know i know injuries happen..just give us a year.

I hear ya. Leon was massively overpaid last year, but that's our FO's fault, not Leon's. He could return the favor by taking less than market value, but I don't expect that to happen. Blame Mike Brown for stubbornly refusing to restructure bloated contracts. A few years ago, Hobs had an article that suggested the Bengals were following the Steelers' "model". Well, the Steelers restructure contracts more often than anyone. We're the polar opposite.

And fwiw, I have no problem saying "we" because the team represents my home city and all Bengals fans. Besides, it's much easier than saying "the Bengals" all the time.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 03:14 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: https://twitter.com/George_iloka/status/702288040144846850

This may not be earth-shattering news. But I think it's a really good thing that some of our young stars want to stay as a Bengal. And honestly, how many times in the past did players want to stay here in their prime? Not many. This has the feel of a new organization.

Hoping they re-sign him.

Love it. Iloka is a great player and he keeps getting better and better every year. Definitely a keeper.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 09:39 PM)Harmening Wrote: I'm in this boat as well. While I would like to think Iloka is excited to remain a Bengal, I will believe it when I see it. 
With so many players treating their time in the NFL as a business (as I feel they should), I often feel like things are said as part of "gamesmanship", so to speak. 

You play the game or the game plays you.

He's doing it right.
Reply/Quote
Its a good sign when players want to stay with the team. It means the majority of the team feels they have unfinished business, which is great for our future. Sometimes money plays a smaller role when your heart tells you that your closer to your goals than you can realize. I love it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We do this every year. Questioning our FO at this point seems silly considering how we have had one fo the best rosters for the last 3 or 4 yearss.

Step 1. Everyone acts like the FO has no clue how to handle resigning players and FA.
Step 2. Fans act like we must retain everyone or else we are doomed.
Step 3. We let certain players go and keep others.
Step 4. Fans complain it's the Browns being cheap and we are going to regret it.
Step 5. We continue to draft and develop players in the back ground without most fans realizing it.
Step 6. Players drafted in mid to later rounds (like a George Iloka) emerge, but the staff and FO already knew they had an acceptable replacement.
Step 7. We go on to the playoffs where a series of unfortunate events causes us to lose.

It is a cycle that doesn't ever appear to miss a beat.
Reply/Quote