Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Mason University rethinking ASSoL
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/06/473228688/plan-for-antonin-scalia-school-of-law-is-tweaked-over-unfortunate-acronym

Plan For Antonin Scalia School Of Law Is Tweaked Over Unfortunate Acronym

It must have seemed a straightforward way to honor a U.S. Supreme Court justice who was famous for, among other things, prizing straightforwardness. But then people began to titter about the unintended acronym of the Antonin Scalia School of Law — and now George Mason University has tweaked the name.

The new name for the institution in Arlington, Va., will be the Antonin Scalia Law School, says law school dean Henry N. Butler, citing "some acronym controversy on social media" as the reason for the change. The name will become final in July, pending approval by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.

In another sign of fallout from the renaming, the university is now looking at how to accommodate law school students who don't want Scalia's name on their diplomas, Butler said. While George Mason's name is the most prominent one on law school graduates' diplomas, the law school's name appears beneath the dean's signature.

Announcing the new developments in a letter to students and alumni, Butler also apologized to the many people in the university's community who were "blindsided" by the announcement, which came less than two months after Scalia died.

{insert less necessary paragraphs from the second half of the article I didn't feel like copy and pasting here}
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
This has been all over my social media given I am in Virginia, and in a public higher ed institution. It's been great. LOL
(04-06-2016, 05:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This has been all over my social media given I am in Virginia, and in a public higher ed institution. It's been great. LOL

Yeah I posted it in the Not the Onion thread.

I loved it!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Saw it on Facebook. I appreciated the photo that went with it, all the other justices were laughing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
So, there are some Democratic lawmakers fighting the name change: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/07/some-virginia-lawmakers-oppose-george-mason-renaming-law-school-after-scalia.html

It's not what you think, though. They are fighting it being named after Scalia at all. It would definitely have been funnier if it was already ASSoL and they were fighting them from changing it from that.

Side note, I find the name funny even without it being associated with Scalia. Leave it to GMU.
If nothing else come of this I have learned a lot more about who George Mason was.

Really impressive historical figure.
(04-07-2016, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If nothing else come of this I have learned a lot more about who George Mason was.

Honestly, one of the most underrated of the founding fathers, IMHO. He isn't as widely known outside of Virginia, but his name deserves to be right alongside those of Jefferson and Madison. Had he lived longer, it might have been.
(04-07-2016, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If nothing else come of this I have learned a lot more about who George Mason was.

He made the Final Four or something.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]