Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Germaine Pratt...we'll see ya
(03-03-2023, 12:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It is such a weird situation we find ourselves in.

1) The major FA's we have (the guys who project to start when we are healthy) are all at spots with low positional value: safery (two), linebacker, and tight-end. We drafted Bates' replacement last year (Dax Hill) and could easily get a high end prospect at the other spots where we are picking (Rds 1-2) and save some cap cash. Yes, I know Apple is a starter, but is he when Chido returns? Regardless, we'll get to him later. Cap wise, this makes the most sense. Save the big $$ deals for spots that have higher positional value (QB, OT, DE, CB, WR).

2) Furthermore, the guy we could cut to save the most $$ this year, Mixon, is also at a low value spot. Where quality, productive starters are often found day 2 or day 3.

3) Cap-wise, some combination of these 2 moves seems like a no-brainer. Save the cash. Spend your high picks on top prospects at those spots (TE, LB, S, RB). Use your mid-round picks and cash savings in FA to bolster depth at other spots (DE, CB, OT, WR) and move on.

4) But that is probably gonna weaken a super bowl caliber team in the short term. And it makes us draft more for a particular position rather than value. And it could leave us dangerously thin at some other spots with injury concerns (RT, CB). If Chido is iffy & Apple and Flowers walk, we have an issue at CB. And it does nothing to address the looning issues at OT.

5) If we draft to replace guys at TE, S, LB, and RB, it means foregoing help at high value soots like OT, CB, and in the pass rush. Tough to find immediate Day 3 help there. Almost impossible. If we hold what we have (to the extent possible) it allows us to take guys in the draft early who can help us NOW.

6) The FO is not in total control of this situation. To what extent Burrow, Higgins, Bates, Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine, and Wilson are willing to take a bit less to stay, and what the market is for them, will make some decisions for us.

Me, I tend to be in the camp of holding what we have to the extent possible. And using the draft to get the BPA who can help us now (likely DL, TE, or CB, maybe OL). If I have to lose guys, I want to lose guys at positions it is easiest to replace with mid to late round picks. RB (Mixon) and LB (Pratt) top that list. TE & S next.

And I want to kick the can down the road as far as possible on cap casualties. I'd love to be drafting for potential cuts down the road like we did with Hill last year, but I'd rather get a guy who helps get us over the top this year.

1st priority: Burrow extension
2nd priority: Bell & Hurst (cupboard can't be bare at TE & S)
3rd priority: Pratt (I call Wagner if he walks)
4th priority: Perine (insurance for if I cut Mixon)
5th priority: Apple (for backup money & to free the draft)

I let Bates walk. I would totally cut Mixon in 3 scenarios, but Perine has to be locked up in all of them:

1) It lets us keep one of our top FAa (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, even Bates)
2) It lets us replace a top FA we lose (Wagner for Pratt)
3) It lets us sign a quality FA at a high value spot (RT, DE, CB)

This right here. I would like to keep bell, hurst perine and the other less expensive guys we have for experienced depth. I feel pretty confident bates and Pratt are gone. Mixon needs restructured at minimum. I’d prefer letting him walk. I can see Collins restructured or cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pratt won't be back and it isn't because of the Ossai situation or his tweets that just state his winning mentality.

He won't be back because Logan Wilson is the future leader at LB and is younger and Pratt would cost too much to retain.

Need to see what we have in ADG and Bailey who I like tons anyways.
Reply/Quote
I saw someone predicting earlier that Pratt's value may be decreasing daily due to the number of teams releasing their starting linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I saw someone predicting earlier that Pratt's value may be decreasing daily due to the number of teams releasing their starting linebackers.

That can only be a good thing for the Bengals with regards to signing him to a second contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That can only be a good thing for the Bengals with regards to signing him to a second contract.

There HAVE been a ton of starting LB's cut. Maybe there is a chance we re-sign Pratt...

Before I didn't think there was a chance. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:57 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The big question regarding Pratt is, who do the coaches think is the better player: Pratt or Wilson. Because I don't think they should give second contracts to both. That's a lot of money to give to off ball line backers.

So, if the Bengals feel Pratt is better than Wilson, I think we'll re-sign Pratt.

The thing is....I don't think the Bengals feel that way.

So Pratt is probably gone.

Unless the market just totally whiffs on him and we get him back for like 5M AAV.

7M AAV ain't that far off!
Reply/Quote
It's ok to have guys on the roster that get mad when we lose!
Reply/Quote
Germaine Pratt...we'll see ya? See ya putting ink to that contract!

So glad that Pratt is staying a Bengal

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You guys suck.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 04:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 7M AAV ain't that far off!

Good deal for both sides. Also great insurance in case Wilson's shoulder ever gets hurt again.

(03-13-2023, 04:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's ok to have guys on the roster that get mad when we lose!

Yeah it is. It is all good.

(03-13-2023, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Germaine Pratt...we'll see ya?  See ya putting ink to that contract!

So glad that Pratt is staying a Bengal

Same, didn't expect it as you can tell in this thread. Happy to be wrong! Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 02:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to Pratt: I thought that was nipped in the bud both here and in the Bengals. He's a solid teammate if the compensations matches the skill, he'll be back, if not he'll walk.

None of ewe will truly understand the burden of always being write. Its my cross to bare.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 04:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: None of ewe will truly understand the burden of always being write. Its my cross to bare.  

Eh, you kind of hedged your bets there Bfine lol 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 04:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: None of ewe will truly understand the burden of always being write. Its my cross to bare.  

Lol.  Nice work.  Of course, I said the same thing about Bates and Bell.  And I was right.

Just kidding, but I was shocked as I thought he would command more on the open market,
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 11:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: 0% this dude is back in stripes next year.

ZT values the locker room and a players character. Pratt won't stop tweeting bullshit and with the way he treated Ossai after the KC loss...this guy dug his grave.

It kind of reminds me of Spain last year. He threw the other OL under the bus after the SB loss and the Bengals showed no interest in him coming back.

I'd look for the Bengals to re-up Logan Wilson this off-season while Pratt walks. I just can't see them bringing him back.

Seems he went from zero to hero within 3 pages. 
Reply/Quote
I think we as fans try to evaluate players based on logic and emotion too much. Oh this guy seems to love playing in Cincy (CJ Uzomah)...so we assume they'll be back.

And Pratt, oh he flipped out after a loss. Bye!

Reality is, dollars talk. And loyalty or liking being in a situation don't really matter at that level.

There really are no bad situations in the NFL. Teams can go worst to 1st.

Carolina hits on QB with the #1 pick...and they can turn around quick. Same with any team. It happened to us!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 04:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You guys suck.

All in good fun.  After all, the celebration was short lived with the looming news of losing both starting Safeties.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote