Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Get ready for sexy Rexie.
(03-16-2016, 08:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Crap, I seriously thought we were going to bring in Sexy Rexy Grossman to be a backup QB.

SB Qb as a backup how bad can that be right?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 09:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My hand went up!  It is a silent motion...so maybe that is why you heard crickets.

When Rex came out of college, he had the fastest short-shuttle in the entire scouting combine.  When the Bengals asked him to play Wes Welker as the scout team slot receiver, he was so good the Bengals considered altering his role.  While that didn't take place with 3rd rounder Sanu already tabbed the starting slot receiver, his role did expand in the offense.  

I'm a little surprised you took a shot at him for the Indy game.  He looked great!  The lack of complementary weapons made it difficult for Dalton, but I would take Burkhead in the slot in a heartbeat. 

He's a smart guy, elusive route-runner, and has great hands.  

I'm also more than a little surprised that folks want to waste a first round pick on a slot WR.  The Bengals need a bigger, taller, faster option to replace Jones at the "X" receiver.  

Meh, he looked decent, but he was one of those lacking weapons himself.  If he is starting, and not a role player come September, then we are in trouble......it wasn't really a shot at Rex, per se.  Armon Binns was a scout team hero too.....and I know it's a silent motion, I was referring to the lack of folks in the room outside of the padded cell where all of the hand raising *was* going on. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 08:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Crap, I seriously thought we were going to bring in Sexy Rexy Grossman to be a backup QB.

Grossman is not Sexy Rexy anymore.  He is now known as "RG3 and out"
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 10:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bingo. Rex is just the latest popular seldom-used white guy on the team. Decent backup RB though.

Hah, this is where you're wrong Shake. Ryan Whalen turned out to be a huge succe-- oh.....

(03-17-2016, 09:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When the Bengals asked him to play Wes Welker as the scout team slot receiver, he was so good the Bengals considered altering his role.

And when they asked Armon Binns to play Calvin Johnson for the scout team, he was "uncoverable". It's almost like the Bengals regularly say stupid crap that's not true for propaganda purposes, like...
"Margus Hunt is going to have a monster breakout season in 2014."
"Dennard is the best rookie cornerback I have ever seen."
"Domata Peko might be the best nose tackle in the NFL."

Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 09:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When Rex came out of college, he had the fastest short-shuttle in the entire scouting combine.  When the Bengals asked him to play Wes Welker as the scout team slot receiver, he was so good the Bengals considered altering his role.

My nephew was just running around pretending to be Batman today.  Next time you need help I'll send him.  No need to thank me!

But seriously, how do you pretend to be Wes Welker? Do you say "I'm white and have a concussion!" before or after each play? Look, I'd LOVE to debate this further but I have pickup basketball game to attend, and I'm the Shaquille O'Neal of this particular under 6-foot white rec ball league, buddy.
Reply/Quote
White WR = Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson, no matter what the skill level is.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: White WR = Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson, no matter what the skill level is.

They're also real gymrats.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hah, this is where you're wrong Shake. Ryan Whalen turned out to be a huge succe-- oh.....

Well, that Leonard dude wasn't so bad. He was easily the best of the great white hopes.

(03-17-2016, 04:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: White WR = Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson, no matter what the skill level is.

Ha, no doubt. Just like any bad black QB prospect is Jamarcus Russell.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 08:26 PM)phil413 Wrote: I'm all for giving the guy more reps, but I'm against chanting "Sexy Rexy" at games.

Same here, My middle name is Rex and i hate THAT shit.

BTW, i like Burkhead and he definately should not be left out of thought when talking about our passing
options. Dude is quick with good hands, just what you want in a Slot receiver and he is tougher than the
average Slot guy as well being a RB in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 10:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many successful examples of this happening can you think of? A RB to WR conversion?

I pride myself on being a knowledgeable, long-time (since '73) NFL fan.  So whenever I see a question like this I take it as a challenge even if it is not directed at me.  And this one is a real head scratcher.

Keith Byars switched from RB to TE, but that is as close as I can get.

I am sure that it has happened, but I can't think of an example.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I pride myself on being a knowledgeable, long-time (since '73) NFL fan.  So whenever I see a question like this I take it as a challenge even if it is not directed at me.  And this one is a real head scratcher.

Keith Byars switched from RB to TE, but that is as close as I can get.

I am sure that it has happened, but I can't think of an example.

have one that happened this year.. DeAnthony Thomas from KC
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: have one that happened this year.. DeAnthony Thomas from KC

And I just thought of Dexter McCluster.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: have one that happened this year.. DeAnthony Thomas from KC

(03-17-2016, 07:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And I just thought of Dexter McCluster.

Well, I did say "successful enough to start". Neither of those guys are starting or playing significant snaps in the slot (50% or more) like people have suggested we do with Burkhead. Thomas had 17 catches last year. McCluster had 31, but he's not really a WR. Heck, McCluster had more carries (55) than catches last year and many of his catches came out of the backfield.

On top of that, McCluster has always been a RB/WR hybrid even dating back to his college days. Rex Burhead has always been a RB. Burkhead is also far bigger than either of these examples.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, that Leonard dude wasn't so bad. He was easily the best of the great white hopes.

Ha, no doubt. Just like any bad black QB prospect is Jamarcus Russell.

Burkhead is a very poor man's Danny Woodhead.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh, he looked decent, but he was one of those lacking weapons himself.  If he is starting, and not a role player come September, then we are in trouble......it wasn't really a shot at Rex, per se.  Armon Binns was a scout team hero too.....and I know it's a silent motion, I was referring to the lack of folks in the room outside of the padded cell where all of the hand raising *was* going on. Wink

I remember hearing that the Bengals were surprised at their defenses inability to cover him as the scout team Wes Welker.  I don't think anyone ever said that about Binns.  

My belief is that if Burkhead was a Patriot, he would have 60+ receptions a season.  I'm really hoping he develops in to that kind of check-down security blanket for Dalton.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My nephew was just running around pretending to be Batman today.  Next time you need help I'll send him.  No need to thank me!

But seriously, how do you pretend to be Wes Welker?  Do you say "I'm white and have a concussion!" before or after each play?  Look, I'd LOVE to debate this further but I have pickup basketball game to attend, and I'm the Shaquille O'Neal of this particular under 6-foot white rec ball league, buddy.

You honestly don't know how a scout team works?  And the Bengal's coaches were so impressed with his abilities that he started the playoff game at slot WR.  And Welker had not fallen off the proverbial map yet, as he was still an asset.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I remember hearing that the Bengals were surprised at their defenses inability to cover him as the scout team Wes Welker.  I don't think anyone ever said that about Binns.  

My belief is that if Burkhead was a Patriot, he would have 60+ receptions a season.  I'm really hoping he develops in to that kind of check-down security blanket for Dalton.  

meh I know opinions vary and I like Rex,but I just don't see him having that big a role in the bengals passing game much less patriots. Like many others I wish they would use him more.  to your other post about starting th playoff game in slot, wasn't our receivers all injured?
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  And the Bengal's coaches were so impressed with his abilities that he started the playoff game at slot WR. 

Yeah, that didn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact he was one of only three healthyWRs on the team at the time.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, that didn't have ANYTHING to do with the fact he was one of only three healthyWRs on the team at the time.

Rolleyes

Rep didn't Tate have to start in place AJ ? seems if they thought that highly of him he would have had a lot more chances this past season  Mellow
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
While I think Burkhead should get some meaningful snaps in the slot, I don't think he should be the primary slot receiver. He's too slow to be a dynamic slot receiver. He's slower than Mohamed Sanu (who many of us feel was already too slow to be a true threat from the slot) and 4 inches shorter. Plus, Bernard deserves opportunities out of the slot since he's proven he can handle limited time there and he's much faster than Burkhead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote