Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting Ran Over
A common theme has developed over the past 3 plus years with Bengals defenses, and that is the inability to stop the run.

Over the last 51 games, 2016-present, they have allowed 100 or more rushing yards 30 times, 140 or more 20 times and 200 or more 6 different times. During that time, they've also allowed 4.4, 4.2 and 4.7 yards per carry, with a whopping 4.9 so far this season. Their rankings against the run have been 21st, 30th, 29th and 31st so far this year.

It's very frustrating to watch teams run so well with regularity, and it's even more infuriating when watching the poor tackling continuing to occur.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A common theme has developed over the past 3 plus years with Bengals defenses, and that is the inability to stop the run.

Over the last 51 games, 2016-present, they have allowed 100 or more rushing yards 30 times, 140 or more 20 times and 200 or more 6 different times. During that time, they've also allowed 4.4, 4.2 and 4.7 yards per carry, with a whopping 4.9 so far this season. Their rankings against the run have been 21st, 30th, 29th and 31st so far this year.

It's very frustrating to watch teams run so well with regularity, and it's even more infuriating to watch poor tackling continuing to occur.

What has been the trend in becoming worse in defending the run?
I would think it's more runs in space such that our slower defenders can't get to the ball carrier fast enough?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What has been the trend in becoming worse in defending the run?
I would think it's more runs in space such that our slower defenders can't get to the ball carrier fast enough?

It all starts up front.  Our interior DL get blocked by OL that continue to the second level and impede the LBs.  Until the DTs start defeating the OL in front of them, the running lanes will continue to be open.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would think it's more runs in space such that our slower defenders can't get to the ball carrier fast enough?

It seems to be a whole bunch of different things.

Players appear to be out of position.  How many times have we seen a RB get his original running lane clogged just to have him cut back or bust it outside with no Bengal in sight?  That is not about player speed as much as being in position, maintaining run fits, and setting the edge.

It also seems like our ability and/or desire to tackle has taken a nosedive over the last two years.  It seems like I see a lot more broken or missed tackles when we do have a defender in position to make the play.  According to Footballoutsiders only three teams allowed more broken tackles than the Bengals D last year.

Finally many fans think stopping the run is all about the D-line, but it is just as much about the LBs.  In fact many times the linemen occupy blockers so that the LBs can make the tackles.
Reply/Quote
We let go of burfict with no replacement. Yeah, he was trending down, but could of helped this team with what we have
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It seems to be a whole bunch of different things.

Players appear to be out of position.  How many times have we seen a RB get his original running lane clogged just to have him cut back or bust it outside with no Bengal in sight?  That is not about player speed as much as being in position, maintaining run fits, and setting the edge.

It also seems like our ability and/or desire to tackle has taken a nosedive over the last two years.  It seems like I see a lot more broken or missed tackles when we do have a defender in position to make the play.  According to Footballoutsiders only three teams allowed more broken tackles than the Bengals D last year.

Finally many fans think stopping the run is all about the D-line, but it is just as much about the LBs.  In fact many times the linemen occupy blockers so that the LBs can make the tackles.

This ^

The Dline is getting bunched up and LBs aren't filling gaps properly. Add in poor tackling and it's way more than just one thing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Our DB's generally are poor tacklers too. I'd venture to guess that teams that stop the run usually have atleast some good tackling DB's.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Wait just a damn minute.

Our D is getting gassed because of the opposing team's  TOP.

I thought the Offense(mainly the QB)was to blame for that!

Throw, throw, throw, "where's our running game?!?"

Little clock burned by the Offense with the lack of run game.

Much clock burned because of teams running all over us.

I guess there really are other factors to TOP being lopsided besides our crappy QB.

Who'd a thunk it??

What?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our DB's generally are poor tacklers too. I'd venture to guess that teams that stop the run usually have atleast some good tackling DB's.

Dennard is a good tackler.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Finally many fans think stopping the run is all about the D-line, but it is just as much about the LBs.  In fact many times the linemen occupy blockers so that the LBs can make the tackles.

What happens when the DL doesn't occupy blockers?  That's right, the OL ends up in the LBs faces, allowing for all sorts of bad things to happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's even harder when you watch our O-line unable to open any lanes for anyone.

I agree with the thought that you really shouldn't pay big money to running backs... decent line play can make a guy like CJ Anderson get some love during the post-season.
Reply/Quote
When it comes to defending the run each player has a run fit they are supposed to be in. These are gaps between each linemen that is their responsibility to fill. Your job is not to do someone else's job and so while sometimes you see a back run by someone you assume it is that defenders gap it can often be a LB or a S who is supposed to be there. The reason this is important is because if they deviate out of their fit then it can create a bigger busted play.

In my opinion the issues with running are that our linebackers are slow to react and don't plug their gaps which often times results in backs getting up to the second level and easily making them miss. Understand it is easier to meet the back in the hold then on the second level in space. Add to that our secondary players who have back side contain don't do well being the force defender. Dre is horrible at it and Jackson got caught a couple times not keeping outside leverage into his help. As far as the defensive line often times people attribute things getting wide to them, but again most the time a Safety or CB depending on the formation are the force defender and they have to stay wide to contain the run.

In summation I'd rank the reasons for bad run defense as LB>CB>S>DL.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A common theme has developed over the past 3 plus years with Bengals defenses, and that is the inability to stop the run.

It's very frustrating to watch teams run so well with regularity, and it's even more infuriating when watching the poor tackling continuing to occur.

I miss Zimmer!

Reply/Quote

God especially this, looks like a madden video game where the RB just bounces off the defense and runs down the field play after play and you know you cant stop it..
Reply/Quote
Poor LB play
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

If only after the 2013 season they had an in-house defensive genius who they could have hired to be their head coach rather than let him walk away to be the HC of another team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What?

He's saying, "Quit blaming Dalton!" 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It all starts up front.  Our interior DL get blocked by OL that continue to the second level and impede the LBs.  Until the DTs start defeating the OL in front of them, the running lanes will continue to be open.

right if the DL cant set their gaps and the edge and are allowing  the OL to get to the second level... its gonna be a bad time...

We have decent pass rushers but their run defense is less than stellar...
Reply/Quote
I thought this was gonna be a thread about Billy Price..... LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This is nothing new, i remember Rudi getting stuffed in the backfield too with no lanes.
Reply/Quote