Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants release LB Ogletree and Martin
After reading these, an absolute no on Olgetree (though, they said the same thing about Justin Smith...)

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/02/giants-release-alec-ogletree-kareem-martin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: After reading these, an absolute no on Olgetree (though, they said the same thing about Justin Smith...)

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/02/giants-release-alec-ogletree-kareem-martin

After reading what?

I did not see anything bad about Ogletree in the link.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After reading what?

I'm not positive, but I think he's referring to the comments by the Giants' fans, below the article.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 06:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After reading what?

Sorry Fred...

(02-28-2020, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not positive, but I think he's referring to the comments by the Giants' fans, below the article.

... and thank you, Sunset. Indeed, that was what I was referring to.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 05:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: After reading these, an absolute no on Olgetree (though, they said the same thing about Justin Smith...)

I’m not too concerned about the fan comments. The 12 INTs and franchise record for INTs sold me even more that I want the guy
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 11:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m not too concerned about the fan comments. The 12 INTs and franchise record for INTs sold me even more that I want the guy

Trust me, I saw the stats and thought, "wow, he would be PERFECT FOR US!" then saw the comments and became a bit apprehensive.

Wouldn't be against it and him being cut means it doesn't affect the comp picks.
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with Ogletree and a draft pick or two at linebacker. Lou should have had a pretty good chance to see what he could do with the Giants in 18. I'd say he's a prime candidate for us if Lou had a favorable opinion of him. H'ed be a solid grab for 5 mil or so.
Reply/Quote
Ogletree was a beast for the Rams a couple yrs ago...I would venture to say he would be BY FAR our best Backer if we signed him.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:06 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Ogletree was a beast for the Rams a couple yrs ago...I would venture to say he would be BY FAR our best Backer if we signed him.

Well, we also have players Joe Mixon and Alex Ericson already reaching out to Joe Schobert.  However, we are all familiar with how the team makes their deals, and it will come down to who, if any of the top LBs are willing to work for what works for the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 03:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:
Well, we also have players Joe Mixon and Alex Ericson already reaching out to Joe Schobert
.  However, we are all familiar with how the team makes their deals, and it will come down to who, if any of the top LBs are willing to work for what works for the Bengals.

Cool, like this. Would love to get Schobert in here. Cool
Reply/Quote
It could be worth considering Ogletree for depth.
He's not the good player he was in college, but he'd provide some veteran experience for a Bengals team that only has two LBs under contract (Pratt and Evans).

If only Ogletree and a draft pick were added with a Vigil re-signing though, I foresee the LBs being bad yet again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2020, 03:28 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Did we sign Ogletree yet? Because we need to

Seriously. He’s a perfect fit. Bring in ogletree and draft Malik Harrison and linebacker is fixed at a bargain. That’s bengals all day
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 02:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It could be worth considering Ogletree for depth.
He's not the good player he was in college, but he'd provide some veteran experience for a Bengals team that only has two LBs under contract (Pratt and Evans).

If only Ogletree and a draft pick were added with a Vigil re-signing though, I foresee the LBs being bad yet again.

Lol bro ogletree comes in as our best linebacker lol not a depth piece at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 03:26 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Lol bro ogletree comes in as our best linebacker lol not a depth piece at all.

Depends on who you are comparing him to.

He's had lower than 56 PFF rating each of the past 3 years...
2019 - 54.2
2018 - 50.6
2017 - 55.9

He did rate higher than Pratt and Evans, so compared to those two, yes.
Nick Vigil had a higher PFF rating than Ogletree in 2018 and 2019.
This was because Vigil was better than Ogletree in coverage (per their ratings).

Obviously though, you could look at INTs and PDs and they could imply a different story than what PFF reports.
Ogletree INTs for past 3 seasons - 7 (5 in 2018)
Ogletree PDs for past 3 seasons - 24

Vigil INTs for past 3 seasons - 2 (same number of INTs as Ogletree in 2017 and 2019)
Vigil PDs for past 3 seasons - 13

Bottom line though, if you're not happy with Vigil as a starter, you shouldn't be happy with Ogletree as a starter either. They really are about the same. The only difference is one was a first rounder while the other was a third.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 03:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Depends on who you are comparing him to.

He's had lower than 56 PFF rating each of the past 3 years...
2019 - 54.2
2018 - 50.6
2017 - 55.9

He did rate higher than Pratt and Evans, so compared to those two, yes.
Nick Vigil had a higher PFF rating than Ogletree in 2018 and 2019.
This was because Vigil was better than Ogletree in coverage (per their ratings).

Obviously though, you could look at INTs and PDs and they could imply a different story than what PFF reports.
Ogletree INTs for past 3 seasons - 7 (5 in 2018)
Ogletree PDs for past 3 seasons - 24

Vigil INTs for past 3 seasons - 2 (same number of INTs as Ogletree in 2017 and 2019)
Vigil PDs for past 3 seasons - 13

Bottom line though, if you're not happy with Vigil as a starter, you shouldn't be happy with Ogletree as a starter either. They really are about the same. The only difference is one was a first rounder while the other was a third.

This hurts the Vigil hater's points. Vigil needs to learn how to tackle better, that is my deal with him.

But so does everybody on Defense honestly. Hope we bring in someone like Schobert, Trevathan, Bradham, Jamie Collins,
Kwiatkowski or Littleton and this year we practice physical as Taylor alluded to. The bottom line on Defense is really we 
just need to tackle better, how was Ogletree in stopping the run? I bet better than Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This hurts the Vigil hater's points. Vigil needs to learn how to tackle better, that is my deal with him.

But so does everybody on Defense honestly. Hope we bring in someone like Schobert, Trevathan, Bradham, Jamie Collins,
Kwiatkowski or Littleton and this year we practice physical as Taylor alluded to. The bottom line on Defense is really we 
just need to tackle better, how was Ogletree in stopping the run? I bet better than Vigil.

You're in for a surprise...

2019 run defense grades:
Vigil - 51.2
Ogletree - 49.9

2018 run defense grades:
Vigil - 63.9
Ogletree - 46.8

2017 run defense grades:
Vigil - 45.2
Ogletree - 45.4

When looking at TFLs, Ogletree has had 13 in the past 3 seasons whereas Vigil has had 12.

The only area Ogletree is rated well is actually as a pass rusher.
Vigil has never been a good pass rusher.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 04:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're in for a surprise...

2019 run defense grades:
Vigil - 51.2
Ogletree - 49.9

2018 run defense grades:
Vigil - 63.9
Ogletree - 46.8

2017 run defense grades:
Vigil - 45.2
Ogletree - 45.4

When looking at TFLs, Ogletree has had 13 in the past 3 seasons whereas Vigil has had 12.

The only area Ogletree is rated well is actually as a pass rusher.
Vigil has never been a good pass rusher.

Wow, I am surprised. Want someone better than Ogletree now, you talked me out of him.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, I am surprised. Want someone better than Ogletree now, you talked me out of him.

I'd take him over LaRoy Reynolds, Jordan Evans, or Preston Brown, but he shouldn't be a prime target.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 05:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd take him over LaRoy Reynolds, Jordan Evans, or Preston Brown, but he shouldn't be a prime target.

True, give me Schobert and Ogletree and I am happy lol
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, give me Schobert and Ogletree and I am happy lol

Any of Schobert, Collins, Littleton (my choice), Bradham (coverage), or Trevathan (run def) to be LB1.
I'd be fine with Vigil back too to be LB3 or LB4.
Ogletree would be in same boat as Vigil in terms of depth.
And use a draft pick to compete with them, Pratt, and Evans.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote