Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gilberry to the Lions
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5058/wallace-gilberry

Nice pick up for them. Hunt and Clarke may be safer then some think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I would really be shocked if we don't take a DE in the draft, so I wouldn't say they're both safe...yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hardison's expectation level just went up, by a factor of 10.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Expecting us to draft a DE in first 4 rounds.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hardison's expectation level just went up, by a factor of 10.

I don't really see how Hardison is going to fill Gilberry's role.  The guy is 315 lbs.  Gilberry was averaging 6+ sacks in his best years here as a rotational end.  I fail to see how a 315 lb dude is going to take over as a rotational end/occasional inside rusher.
Reply/Quote
I think edge rusher will be our 1st pick. It is the only position we haven't addressed, besides RB and OT.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
As a 3rd DE and rotational DT he played a lot of snaps. At least it sure seemed like it. And we got 23 tackles and 2 sacks.

He has played a boatload of snaps over the last 2 years. And we got 3.5 sacks out of him in that time. Part of the reason our pass rush was so bad in 2014 is because of him being a starter.

I am not sweating over this loss at all. I don't think it will be hard to do better.
Reply/Quote
Am fine with this. I always liked him, but he was at the center of instigating contact with Porter during the playoff game. He was the one who was in the middle of us constantly losing our heads against Pittsburgh, going back to the bounty that was allegedly placed on him by the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I'm not fine with this. It is a big blow to the DL.
Reply/Quote
Coley Harvey seems to think this puts pressure on a leap from Hunt and Clarke. Scary. Sounds like the front office is going to force their busts to play (and try to get something out of them) instead of cutting the cord early and moving on which it's less likely now that they will do.

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey · 14h14 hours ago

While no surprise to see Wallace Gilberry end up elsewhere, this helps open opportunities for Margus Hunt, Will Clarke (and Marcus Hardison)

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey · 14h14 hours ago

This figures to be a very important year for Margus Hunt, who has had a tough time breaking out since being drafted second round in 2013.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Opposing QBs will have field days with Hunt as a potential starter. Yeah, we have Dunlap and Atkins but MJ has yet to live up to his potential as well.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:36 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Opposing QBs will have field days with Hunt as a potential starter.  Yeah, we have Dunlap and Atkins but MJ has yet to live up to his potential as well.

MJ has been playing good for us. IDK what you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:36 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Opposing QBs will have field days with Hunt as a potential starter. Yeah, we have Dunlap and Atkins but MJ has yet to live up to his potential as well.

MJ and Dunlap play close to 80% of our snaps... Next Man up.. .=

Draft Pick
Will Clark
Hunt
Hardison.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:36 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Opposing QBs will have field days with Hunt as a potential starter.  Yeah, we have Dunlap and Atkins but MJ has yet to live up to his potential as well.

"potential starter?

Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: MJ and Dunlap play close to 80% of our snaps...  Next Man up.. .=

Draft Pick
Will Clark
Hunt
Hardison.

Agreed, his production can be replaced relatively easily most likely.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 09:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think edge rusher will be our 1st pick.  It is the only position we haven't addressed, besides RB and OT.

I've been thinking this for awhile now, too.  They re-signed all of the DTs but have stayed put with the ends.  I'll be pretty surprised if we don't see them grab an end in 1 or 2.
Reply/Quote
Noooooo!!!

Dingleberry!!!!!!!! :'(
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Two big issues on this and why DE should be considered in the draft:
1) MJ's pass rush could be improved
2) If MJ or Dunlap goes down, outside pass rush will be trash
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 11:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'm not fine with this. It is a big blow to the DL.

C'mon JL, how is losing a 31 y.o. pass-rushing DE with only 3.5 sacks in 2 years a "big blow"?

I loved Dingle from 2012-2013, but hasn't been getting it anymore. We've been getting 5-7 sacks from rotational ends dating back to Frostee and Fanene.

(04-05-2016, 08:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: Coley Harvey seems to think this puts pressure on a leap from Hunt and Clarke. Scary. Sounds like the front office is going to force their busts to play (and try to get something out of them) instead of cutting the cord early and moving on which it's less likely now that they will do.

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey  · 14h14 hours ago  

While no surprise to see Wallace Gilberry end up elsewhere, this helps open opportunities for Margus Hunt, Will Clarke (and Marcus Hardison)

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey  · 14h14 hours ago  

This figures to be a very important year for Margus Hunt, who has had a tough time breaking out since being drafted second round in 2013.

In fairness, this isn't Coley saying we won't add anyone, and there are no quotes from inside sources that would suggest that Hunt/Clarke are going to be leaned on this year. In other words, it's way too early to panic on this. If they don't draft anyone, then I'd start to worry. For now, I just think they were intentionally moving on from another aging/ineffective player, and the position will be addressed via the draft. 

Hunt's snaps were way down last year, so I think they're done with him. Imo, the only reason they haven't cut him is because it'd make DE look like an obvious need for the draft. I see him being a TC or preseason cut.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 12:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hunt's snaps were way down last year, so I think they're done with him. Imo, the only reason they haven't cut him is because it'd make DE look like an obvious need for the draft. I see him being a TC or preseason cut.

Guenther has pretty much said the same thing.  There is no need to cut him now.  He is under contract,  But unless he shows massive improvement in training camp he is gone.  

And a guy who has been in the league 3 years usually does not suddenly get better.
Reply/Quote