Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets an extension
(06-08-2016, 11:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess there's a first time for everything.

The exact same thing happened last year when the Bengals spent over the league cap because of the money they had rolled over from 2014.
Reply/Quote
My first thought is that it's very high for a RB who's never going to be a 3 down back.

But he knows the offense and he's probably better than taking a chance on someone new in the draft next year.

Hill needs to step up this year or we will be looking for another workhorse to be the starter. That's not Gio though, he's the other guy who comes in and changes the pace. That's what he's best at.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Very good news
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:04 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote:

Confused

You can make the raised eyebrow face all you want Truck, but he's not the 3rd best guard in the NFL, which is what his cap hit is sitting at this year.

If his 2016 cap hit was the AAV of a contract, he'd be the second highest paid guard in the NFL.

Zeitler is good, but he's definitely not top 2-3 in the NFL good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 02:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can make the raised eyebrow face all you want Truck, but he's not the 3rd best guard in the NFL, which is what his cap hit is sitting at this year.

If his 2016 cap hit was the AAV of a contract, he'd be the second highest paid guard in the NFL.

Obviously those at the professional level on the Bengals staff do not agree with you on Zeitler and it is not that simple to just to run numbers, other variables come into play outside of just plain $$, like need, timing, circumstance.  For someone that tends to be critical of those just using stats, you seem to be doing the same thing with $$.
Reply/Quote
Gio is a good guy glad to see hom stay in stripes. Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 11:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: My first thought is that it's very high for a RB who's never going to be a 3 down back.

But he knows the offense and he's probably better than taking a chance on someone new in the draft next year.

Hill needs to step up this year or we will be looking for another workhorse to be the starter. That's not Gio though, he's the other guy who comes in and changes the pace. That's what he's best at.

idk if its too high I understand not wanting to pay RBs big money cause of their short career span in most cases.

But that's also a good reason to pay a good one a decent salary.      5.5 mil a year isn't a huge chunk considering the increase in cap each year.   Now having 2 RBs under that type of contract might be hard to do.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 10:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk if its too high I understand not wanting to pay RBs big money cause of their short career span in most cases.

But that's also a good reason to pay a good one a decent salary.      5.5 mil a year isn't a huge chunk considering the increase in cap each year.   Now having 2 RBs under that type of contract might be hard to do.

As Jim pointed out, we are taking on 6 this year. That makes it 3.5 a year after this year. That actually allows us to resign Hill if we like to a similar deal and pay them both about 3.5 a year for a combined 7 a year. Basically two backs combined being one.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 02:21 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can make the raised eyebrow face all you want Truck, but he's not the 3rd best guard in the NFL, which is what his cap hit is sitting at this year.

3rd best RG in the game. Period. Pay the man.

Find me 3 RGs that are better than him!!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 10:11 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Gio is a good guy 

Not always the most important reason to re-sign a guy, but it is always nice to see as many "good guys" as possible on our team.  

From the homepage of the Run Gio Foundation

The Dream

Being the child of Haitian immigrants, I knew financial struggles at a young age. I've persevered, and dedicated myself to education and sports. I was blessed with a scholarship to attend St. Thomas high school in Fort Lauderdale and was fortunate enough to continue my education, having earned a full ride football scholarship to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through hard work and dedication I became the first running back selected in the 2013 NFL draft to the Cincinnati Bengals football club. Humbled, I was determined to give back to youth. I believe that every child, no matter their race, religion or income, deserves the op

The Goal

The RUN GIO Foundation is a non-profit organization that aims to provide children of Haiti with an opportunity for a quality education. Inspired by my mother, we built Le jardin vert de Josette, or, Josette's green garden 1st classroom with the help of family and friends. The dream is to have matching classrooms ring a courtyard and our goal is to fund the expansion entirely through my foundation. In addition to supporting education, my foundation provides youth football camps, free of charge, to children who may not have had the opportunity to attend otherwise. I believe that sports build character in a positive, healthy and familiar environment within their community.

http://www.giobernard.com/pages/foundation
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 04:19 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Bengals and Gio agree to a 3 year extension worth $15.5m.

Thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/06/08/giovani-bernard-contract-extension-cincinnati/85610336/

Great news, this was one of the two deals i really wanted us to get done this Offseason. Gio is a great scat back
with the ability to even be a bell cow if needed. His versatility to go along with his shiftiness and hands are rare.

Love it. Cool

Now get that other deal done with Zeitler please.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm assuming that's because Kirk and Zeitler's 2016 cap hits can't realistically get any more inflated (like Gio's did)? Also Hewitt should be relatively affordable.

Agreed on Hewitt being affordable. Marcell Reece is the highest paid FB at $3.5 million/yr. He's the only one making over $3 million. I'm guessing the Bengals will make him one of the highest paid FBs, so it'll probably be just a little over $2 million.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 05:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Damn good deal to get him for the rest of his prime RB years. Glad they got that done.

Agreed, and I love to see a guy with Gio's story "hit it big".  They have done a good job spelling him to keep him fresh.  You can be sure he won't suddenly get fat and lose interest in offseason training.

That was a shot. 
Reply/Quote