Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict dropped 15 to 20 lbs.
(07-27-2017, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love Burfict, but he was not great the first half of 2016 due to suspension and injury hurting his fitness level. We watched him play his way into football shape week by week and by second half was great.

(07-28-2017, 01:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Burfict was out of shape or overweight last year.

Most likely due to the long recovery process of his leg.   if I had to guess.

This might be the best shape hes been in since hes been here.   I'm looking forward to the season Lets extend him now...

(07-28-2017, 01:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You need to rewatch the first couple games after he got back from suspension. Noticably slower and bigger than normal. He did had that 10 tackle game against Dallas in his second week back, but they were not playmaking tackles. Their RBs combined for 21 carries, 167 yards that game.

Seriously, go back and watch his first and second games of the season, then his first couple games after the bye week. Watch the difference.

Just going to have disagree with you guys. But I guess that's how opinions go sometimes. He looked a little rusty from the layoff in the first week back, which was understandable. I thought he looked fine after that. I think people saw the initial rust and his weight and just kinda ran with this narrative.

Other than the first game or 2, it's a stretch to say his weight was any kind of major factor with him. He was same old Burfict with the same impact, tackles and occasional big play that we've always seen. I didn't see him out there huffing and looking for the oxygen mask, either. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 01:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just going to have disagree with you guys. But I guess that's how opinions go sometimes. He looked a little rusty from the layoff in the first week back, which was understandable. I thought he looked fine after that. I think people saw the initial rust and his weight and just kinda ran with this narrative.

Other than the first game or 2, it's a stretch to say his weight was any kind of major factor with him. He was same old Burfict with the same impact, tackles and occasional big play that we've always seen. I didn't see him out there huffing and looking for the oxygen mask, either. 

Fair enough to disagree, but he missed 1st 4 games. Then came back and played 2/3rds of his normal snaps in game 5 and 6. Our point was he was more than rusty and the snap count proves it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurfVo00/fantasy/2016

So based on this at a minimum he was not the same Burfict for 6 of our 16 games (4 missed and 2 not ready 100%)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 05:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough to disagree, but he missed 1st 4 games. Then cam back and played 2/3rds of his normal snaps in game 5 and 6. Our point was he was more than rusty and the snap cpunt proves it.

So based on this at a minimum he was not the same Burfict for 6 of our 16 games (4 missed and 2 not ready 100%)

True, but my thought is..  Why in the hell are we all arguing about a player that we all love?  We all know what he can do.  The fact that he's in top shape is only a great thing for the Bengals, and us, the fans. 

However, in retrospect, the suspension may have been a blessing, allowing Burfict to fully heal, once and for all.  Sure, he was fat and out of shape, but the dude sure knew how to play football.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but my thought is..  Why in the hell are we all arguing about a player that we all love?  We all know what he can do.  The fact that he's in top shape is only a great thing for the Bengals, and us, the fans. 

However, in retrospect, the suspension may have been a blessing, allowing Burfict to fully heal, once and for all.  Sure, he was fat and out of shape, but the dude sure knew how to play football.

I agree Burfict is a stud and glad he plays so hard for us

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 05:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fair enough to disagree, but he missed 1st 4 games. Then came back and played 2/3rds of his normal snaps in game 5 and 6. Our point was he was more than rusty and the snap count proves it.

Eh...according to the same site, Burfict played the 2nd highest percentage of snaps in his career:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BurfVo00/fantasy/

He played roughly 75% of all snaps in his first 2 games and 91% for the season. All of this matches up completely with what I'm saying. His weight was not a factor. He missed time and had to shake off a bit of rust when he got back. If it were truly a weight issue, he would've struggled all year. It's not like he suddenly lost weight in his 3rd game. 

In the end, he played his 2nd highest percentage of snaps and produced 101 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 INTs. Numbers that far exceed the pace of any season he had outside of 2013. At the very least, the weight issue has been a smidge overblown and the numbers back me up. Again, it will be nice to have him in shape and not suspended. That alone should be a great help.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 08:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Eh...according to the same site, Burfict played the 2nd highest percentage of snaps in his career:

He played roughly 75% of all snaps in his first 2 games and 91% for the season. All of this matches up completely with what I'm saying. His weight was not a factor. He missed time and had to shake off a bit of rust when he got back. If it were truly a weight issue, he would've struggled all year. It's not like he suddenly lost weight in his 3rd game. 

In the end, he played his 2nd highest percentage of snaps and produced 101 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 INTs. Numbers that far exceed the pace of any season he had outside of 2013. At the very least, the weight issue has been a smidge overblown and the numbers back me up. Again, it will be nice to have him in shape and not suspended. That alone should be a great help.

I get what you're saying Shake and agree mostly, however. Put me in the camp who believes along with some of the others that he didn't come back as well as he could have and was out of shape and a bit overweight.

I really hope he has come full circle and is now ready to step up and become the true leader he can be. If he does our defense could truly be a special one.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2017, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, but my thought is..  Why in the hell are we all arguing about a player that we all love?  We all know what he can do.  The fact that he's in top shape is only a great thing for the Bengals, and us, the fans. 

True dat.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 08:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Eh...according to the same site, Burfict played the 2nd highest percentage of snaps in his career:

So you admit he played 16% less the first 2 games back than normal?? Why would a 3 down LB do that if he were 100% fit?  Sorry Shake, I love Burfict bit he was over weight and not in football shape. I understand why, he was injured and hard to keep weight off when injured.

Reply/Quote

To be fair isn't 2013 the only season he had a full season? In 2012 wasn't he a rookie who had somewhat limited snaps until he was the full time starter. 2014 and 2015 he was injured.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 03:17 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: To be fair isn't 2013 the only season he had a full season? In 2012 wasn't he a rookie who had somewhat limited snaps until he was the full time starter. 2014 and 2015 he was injured.

That's why I said "pace". I was averaging all his numbers up to full seasons. 

Even when you do that, Burfict had his 2nd most impressive season statistically.

It was also his 2nd highest % of snaps played. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 01:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you admit he played 16% less the first 2 games back than normal?? Why would a 3 down LB do that if he were 100% fit?  Sorry Shake, I love Burfict bit he was over weight and not in football shape. I understand why, he was injured and hard to keep weight off when injured.

Brother you are getting all worked up arguing against things I never said. I've said myself that he was rusty for a game or 2. Once again, I'm just saying that he still had a fine season, and his weight was never the issue. He didn't suddenly lose weight in his 3rd game back...did he? Yet his performance got much better and it wound up being one of his best seasons statistically. Now if his weight were the problem, how did that happen?

To answer your question, I'd say he played 75% of the snaps in the first 2 games due to rust from not practicing or playing for several weeks. Marv worked him in gradually. Again, he didn't suddenly lose the weight, so I'm not sure why you think his weight was the reason.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 07:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brother you are getting all worked up arguing against things I never said. I've said myself that he was rusty for a game or 2. Once again, I'm just saying that he still had a fine season, and his weight was never the issue. He didn't suddenly lose weight in his 3rd game back...did he? Yet his performance got much better and it wound up being one of his best seasons statistically. Now if his weight were the problem, how did that happen?

To answer your question, I'd say he played 75% of the snaps in the first 2 games due to rust from not practicing or playing for several weeks. Marv worked him in gradually. Again, he didn't suddenly lose the weight, so I'm not sure why you think his weight was the reason.

Cardio is one of the quickest things to lose, but the quickest to gain back. Burfict was most likely out of shape when he came back. He probably lost a couple of pounds in those 3 weeks, but the biggest thing was getting his heart and lungs back. He won't have that this year, and he's most likely in even better shape. Which almost always increases performance.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He didn't play dirty at all last year, completely agree he cleaned up that shit.

Burfict just flies around the field like no other, remember watching one game last year when we were losing and he
just thumped some guy so hard it just stood out. Still stands out in my mind, even when we lose he is fun to watch.

With him being in this good of shape he should be even funner to watch this year. Want him to retire a Bengal.

He would be like a living God in Pitt, it is that he is a Bengal that he gets the "Dirty" card from people who are not
in the know. He plays like the great LB's used to play and i think is the leading candidate to be the best LB'er in the
NFL this year after Kuechly's concussion troubles.

Dead on, Nate.  

The bully is always the bully until someone punches him in the nose.  Well, Burfict did just that (metaphorically, speaking) and you would think the world was going to end.  I think the world would similarly end if someone blind side shot Brady and knocked him out.  It will never happen because certain teams are allowed to hold and they know it.  

I am more excited about Burfict than any other player on the defensive side of the ball.  The defense is just different when he is out there, and if he is in great shape, well...I think that it could be a top 5 unit easily...maybe higher.  

With a bit more "complementary football", where the offense and running game has longer, sustained drives, I think they could be one of the best, if not THE best in the NFL and it all starts with Burfict.  

In addition, I love what I know about guys like Glasgow...who might seem a bit like an obscure piece, but if he can help plug up the middle and be a solid rotational player, guys like Billings will be even stronger in their pass rush.  Glasgow seems to have a bit of that Krumrie Red-ass, which I LOVE in my players.  No more soft-spoken guys...I want a defense that is breathing fire and after they knock your ass down (fat ass, piggy), they don't even let you back up.  
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:28 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Cardio is one of the quickest things to lose, but the quickest to gain back. Burfict was most likely out of shape when he came back. He probably lost a couple of pounds in those 3 weeks, but the biggest thing was getting his heart and lungs back. He won't have that this year, and he's most likely in even better shape. Which almost always increases performance.

As an ex-soldier, I can tell you that the opposite is true. The heart (which has everything to do with cardio) is the hardest muscle to get in shape. Either way, are we now shifting the argument from Burfict's weight to his cardio shape (which is much harder to prove either way)?

I'm done. I think I laid out a pretty good case. 
Reply/Quote