Poll: Do the Bengals finish the season above .500?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Give Me Your Gut Feeling, Do The Bengals Finish Above .500?
Superbowl 2017.......... why not!!!! I'm going to go ahead and say when "Radio" and Billings hit the field, they are as advertised... Billings and Geno devastate all Olines, and Radio teams up with Kirkpatrick and Dennard to finally establish a no fly zone in the backfield. Andy and the offense should only have to generate 14 points to win..... Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I like your optimism.  The fan in me wants to agree with you, but he realist in me says no.

A lot of our issues in the 2nd half were because of line play, we lost our 2 best.  How are we going to get better?

I think the line play was a bit of an aberration.

I felt like there were times and stints during the season where the line played really well. others where it fell apart.

They HAVE to fix that. HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE to. I believe they will. I also don't hate the line coach like everyone else.

- The Bengals have ONE..... ONE major thing to fix this offseason and three minor ones. The offensive line. is the major, with minor being:

- DE rotation (they need one or two guys there to be role players)
- LB where they need some electric/splash plays.
- RB needs consistent production. Hopefully this goes in line with the major fix as well.

Everything else is in place.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 09:36 PM)Derrick Wrote: Yes.
Check out Cincy Jungle article about FA. It says the Bengals never come out even or a bit better which is the goal in FA for almost every other team.

Was thinking about that this morning. We've had a net loss almost every FA period. Then we've also had some flop drafts. No wonder the team is slipping.

As for this season, maybe the Bengals surprise us by signing Barwin and having a home run draft. They're definitely due. Maybe Ogbuehi somehow gets better.

I'll say right now that it doesn't look good, but they can turn it around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think the line play was a bit of an aberration.

I felt like there were times and stints during the season where the line played really well. others where it fell apart.

They HAVE to fix that. HAVE HAVE HAVE HAVE to. I believe they will. I also don't hate the line coach like everyone else.

- The Bengals have ONE..... ONE major thing to fix this offseason and three minor ones. The offensive line. is the major, with minor being:

- RB needs consistent production. Hopefully this goes in line with the major fix as well.

I don't hate Alexander either.  However, my question is really this (and it involves a lot of blind faith):

1.  What makes you think Ced can do it at LT.  Even if he can pass protect, his run blocking sucks.
2.  We still have Bodine.
3.  Zero experience at RG.

I'm with you, but it seems like its a real stretch to get 3 new starters in ready on the line.
Reply/Quote
I will say upfront I loved Whittworth and Zeigler and will miss them, but let's look at the facts. Whitt may have been the #1 pass blocking LT, but was only an average run blocking OT. Zeigler was an awesome in line run blocking guard, but not athletic enough to pull. He was also just an above average pass blocker.

My point is neither was close to being worth the contracts others paid IMHO.

They will be missed, but until we see how their replacements play, we don't know yet how big a loss
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Voted no. Think the Bengals go 6-10 this year. Browns still in last place. What do you expect from a rebuild?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't hate Alexander either.  However, my question is really this (and it involves a lot of blind faith):

1.  What makes you think Ced can do it at LT.  Even if he can pass protect, his run blocking sucks.
2.  We still have Bodine.
3.  Zero experience at RG.

I'm with you, but it seems like its a real stretch to get 3 new starters in ready on the line.

Ok,

So, here are my thoughts to your (good) points...

1. Ced is extremely athletic, but really needs to find confidence & aggression as well as  add weight & strength (will come with age). He has missed 1 full off season and 2 camps. Basically, last year was his first year playing and he had very little practice. Assuming the best: He will have a full offseason of training and a full camp. I think the talent is absolutely there, so I'll trust in that. Also, I'm not dismissing the Bengals signing someone competent, either.

2. Bodine wasn't as bad last year as people make it out. Seems as if he has been getting better. He is only 24 and fairly young still and I think there's opportunity for him to get better.

^ Both O-linemen that had issues seem to be young enough to get better. If they were finished products then I would be worried.

3. Right Guard. The least of my concerns, to be honest...
- They can draft a guy: Joe Thuney was a 3rd round rookie last year played every snap for the Patriots at LG and they won a Superbowl.
- If they can't draft a guy - they MUST because there are only 4 Gs on the roster, I actually liked the Westerman pick a lot. Projected 2nd-3rd rounder taken late. Potential is there for sure.
- There is also roster depth for the Bengals at the G spot. Trey Hopkins has been on the team for a while now and certainly has the ability to step in as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:31 AM)samhain Wrote: I say no.  Even if the young tackles eventually become adequate or even good, it's going to take time for a line with 3 new to relatively new starters to gel.  I think they'll take their lumps in a major way early in the season.  Hopefully time and experience will mold them into a solid unit by season's end, but I don't see it happening right out of the preseason.  The youth and inexperience will cost several games IMO.  

I see a 5-6 win season.

Ah yes....the venerable ol deadcat bounce looks to be a real possibility this season.  My gut says sub .500, my heart says maybe we pull off another 2011.  I hope my heart is right.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:58 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Ok,

So, here are my thoughts to your (good) points...

1. Ced is extremely athletic, but really needs to find confidence & aggression as well as  add weight & strength (will come with age). He has missed 1 full off season and 2 camps. Basically, last year was his first year playing and he had very little practice. Assuming the best: He will have a full offseason of training and a full camp. I think the talent is absolutely there, so I'll trust in that. Also, I'm not dismissing the Bengals signing someone competent, either.

2. Bodine wasn't as bad last year as people make it out. Seems as if he has been getting better. He is only 24 and fairly young still and I think there's opportunity for him to get better.

^ Both O-linemen that had issues seem to be young enough to get better. If they were finished products then I would be worried.

3. Right Guard. The least of my concerns, to be honest...
- They can draft a guy: Joe Thuney was a 3rd round rookie last year played every snap for the Patriots at LG and they won a Superbowl.
- If they can't draft a guy - they MUST because there are only 4 Gs on the roster, I actually liked the Westerman pick a lot. Projected 2nd-3rd rounder taken late. Potential is there for sure.
- There is also roster depth for the Bengals at the G spot. Trey Hopkins has been on the team for a while now and certainly has the ability to step in as well.

I agree with everything - except Bodine.  The only reason he wasn't as bad as people thought last year is because he was complete garbage the previous year.  Can't really go down from there.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 02:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I agree with everything - except Bodine.  The only reason he wasn't as bad as people thought last year is because he was complete garbage the previous year.  Can't really go down from there.

That's fair. We shall see how they address that here in the next few months!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think the line play was a bit of an aberration.

Good points
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
They're gonna win 100 games this year despite only playing 16.. I know this because my cat meowed at the exact same time that I typed 16. The cat is never wrong. And I still have a fishing pole. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Paul Brown used to say, "Football is a young man's game." Based on that and the fact they've been consistently good for quite some time and are getting younger I said yes. There is still plenty of talent and plenty of continuity with players and coaches.

But I also won't be shocked if they don't make the playoffs or even slip below .500
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
My gut says absolute best, if everything falls perfect, every ball bounces our way, etc = 8-8.

4-12 would not surprise me, if I had to make a wager on it I'd say 6-10
Reply/Quote
No, we still have a doofus owner and doofus head coach
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Just below 500. But I will be at every game and hope I am wrong. It's hard being a bengals fan. Cant stand pit but would it not be nice to know you are going to have a competitive team every year? And not have to worry about this stuff.
Reply/Quote
Yes, the Bengals finish above .500 this season.

Why, you might ask?

1.  3rd place schedule should be kind to them.

2.  Consistency among the coaching staff.  Last year we lost both our excellent OC, as well as a tremendous DB coach. 

3.  Consistency in the receiving corps.  Last year we were coming off of losing two WR regulars.

4.  Emergence of two defensive players drafted last year injects vitality and enthusiasm to the defense, as well as Vigil stepping into a regular role.

5.  Marvin hasn't been offered his customary extension.  He feels a need to prove, once again. (though I wish he would have retired two seasons ago)

6.  Andy Dalton is a battle tested veteran.  Do not underestimate him, he can be a bad mo-fo.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The schedule seems easier, not just because we were 3rd place but because NFC North and AFC South don't inspire fear these days. Also our kicking game has to be better -- though Randy hasn't inspired me yet (but then there is no guarantee he's the guy and he'll at least have to earn it).

So I'm taking over, though I could also see 8-8. We will have a decent defense and try to run the rock on offense. So yeah, the Oline is filled with questions marks but you're gonna win at least some of the time with that setup. Add in Dalton to Green and a progressing supporting stable of WRs and other targets and you know that if Andy can manage to get a ball off without getting decked we'll do well.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:49 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Free agency is a tool for the Bengals acquiring comp picks - and they always come out ahead.

Until the use those picks in the draft. Look what we actually got from those picks versus the players they we lost. Painful, painful.

Reply/Quote
My gut feeling?
[Image: 72c817dc9987057b33c8d132acfefc23.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote