Poll: Do the Bengals finish the season above .500?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Give Me Your Gut Feeling, Do The Bengals Finish Above .500?
No. But like others have said, that could change after the draft and if they sign anyone decent in free agency. If they somehow get Connor Barwin and hit a home run or two in the draft I could see them winning 9 or 10 games. I'm seriously hoping that the coaching staff knows that our O-line is going to be okay and are not just crossing their fingers and hoping! I haven't panicked as of yet as most everyone seems to have when Whitworth and Zeitler signed with other teams, simply because I have to believe that the organization feels there are/will be capable replacements. Who and where they are remains to be seen...
Reply/Quote
It all hinges on the draft.

If the Bengals go

1. Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
2. Takk McKinley, DE, UCLA
3. Isaac Asiata, RG, Utah

then things will probably work out just fine. They get younger at positions where they desperately need playmakers and all 3 could very well step in and start on day 1.

Get those 3 guys and the Bengals can make the playoffs. If they go BPA and draft yet another CB or somebody like Evan Engram who's "too good to pass up" in the 2nd, get ready to tank.

If the Bengals mess up even one of their first 3 picks, they're destined for .500 or worse.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like SIG-BET time!!

I think it is too early to tell...not promising yet, but it is really early to be jumping off the titanic...we haven't even hit the iceberg yet. Nervous

Speculation, if Big Ben retires, Browns are looking better, but not there yet by far, and the Ravens are always quite this time of the year...if the Bengals hold their own, just by splitting the wins in the north, 4 down, with a third place schedule...so, I'm not panicking yet.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's too early for even a gut feeling. The losses on the line are terrible, but there is still a chance they have an average line if the youth gel and improve, they land a competition for a starter in the draft or FA, and Andre holds up at RG. The defense could get a few pieces and they could land a starter out of a McCarron deal. They could fall short, but let's give them time.
Reply/Quote
I would say no right now because of the offensive line mess that is going on. However if the Bengal  can get one or two legit defensive players in the draft then yes this team can make the playoffs and then some.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Oggieboogie that's all I got to say about that
Reply/Quote
Honestly here's what I hope happens we go 2-14 have the 1st or 2nd pick in next year's draft because honestly do you think we have any type of shot at a super bowl this year??? If you do then you need help get off the drugs!!!!

Hopefully we get a new head coach and rebuild the team where even Mike Brown can't screw it up and get one super bowl win out of it because we know he can't keep a winning team together too costly!!!!

I know this might get me some hate but I would love nothing more than a super bowl win and right at this moment with this team we can't do it so I want to throw this season away and get a super bowl win the following year!!

And if we're lucky maybe Brady and Rapestburg are in retirement!!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 04:45 AM)The_WiseOne Wrote: Honestly here's what I hope happens we go 2-14 have the 1st or 2nd pick in next year's draft because honestly do you think we have any type of shot at a super bowl this year??? If you do then you need help get off the drugs!!!!

Hopefully we get a new head coach and rebuild the team where even Mike Brown can't screw it up and get one super bowl win out of it because we know he can't keep a winning team together too costly!!!!

I know this might get me some hate but I would love nothing more than a super bowl win and right at this moment with this   team we can't do it so I want to throw this season away and get a super bowl win the following year!!

And if we're lucky maybe Brady and Rapestburg are in retirement!!

I've got questions about your plan...

1. How do we rebuild the team so even Mike Brown can't screw it up? He owns the team.
  2. What do you think the new coach has to do to improve to win a super bowl before things get too costly? What kind of time frame are we talking here?
  3. How does throwing this season away mean we win a Super Bowl the following year?
Reply/Quote
Nope. O and D both get worse, making .500 the ceiling for this squad, if a few small miracles break thier way.

I'm thinking 5 or 6 wins is what we're looking at here.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 04:54 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I've got questions about your plan...

1. How do we rebuild the team so even Mike Brown can't screw it up? He owns the team.
  2. What do you think the new coach has to do to improve to win a super bowl before things get too costly? What kind of time frame are we talking here?
  3. How does throwing this season away mean we win a Super Bowl the following year?

I tried everything I could think of and with all the contacts that are up in the next two years there's no way you can keep Mike Brown from screwing everything up!!! 
I'm even more depressed now thanks it seems 90% of our players contracts are up in 2018 & 2019
I was going to say who we should draft this year and research next year's draft with the players we have now but I can't even see how this team is going to keep our own star Free Agents now with the way they handle FA!
If we don't extend some of these contracts this year there's no way we get them all done next year we are going to lose a few more guys next year!

A list of contacts up in 2018       and in 2019
V Burfict.                                           Geno Atkins
W Clarke                                            R Bullock
D Dennard.                                        T Carson
T Eifert.                                              P Dawson
M Flowers.                                        C Dunlap
C Harris.                                            A Erickson
J Hill.                                                 J Fisher
K Huber.                                            M Hardison
TJ Johnson.                                      M Johnson
J Kumerow.                                       A Jones
R Mauluga.                                        T Kroft
AJ McCarron.                                   B LaFell
P Sims.                                               V Rey
B Thompson.                                     J Shaw
DeShawn Williams.                           D Smith
E Winston.                                          CJ Uzomah
B Albright
B Benwikere
R Bodine
D Dean
T Hopkins
A Redmond
A Russell
A Smith

It's crazy how many contracts are up in two years
Reply/Quote
I can see this being a playoff team or a complete dumpster fire.

But as of now, I voted no. It doesn't feel right; it actually feels kind of toxic. You lost your locker room guys to keep their heads on straight, still have mediocre Marv and his outstanding record vs winning teams/primetime, and just them still following this outdated process that has yielded nothing leaves alot to be desired.

But if they nail the draft perfectly, the former will probably happen than the latter.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Hate to say it because I really hate the whole Debbie Downer thing - but without a miracle (or certainly multiple pleasant surprises) this team will be 3-13 at worst, 6-11 at best. Whaaa Whaaa
Reply/Quote
I expect our record to be similar to that of our 1990's decade until the M&M boys are gone.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Call me the eternal optimist, but I do see the Bengals finishing over .500 and returning to the playoffs. At that point, they can absolutely make a run and contend for a title.

Why do I believe that? Because I honestly believe with Andre Smith at RG, they are better equipped for short yardage than with Zeitler and the only area they are not as talented as they were last year is LT. To be honest, I was dreading when Whit would have his decline. You knew it was coming.

What else have they lost? A RB they didn't use properly. A DT that was aging and due to be a backup.

What have they gained? Well, after the draft, I could see them having a much more effective pass rusher at the RDE spot. I can see them having a vertical threat opposite AJ Green that would allow Eifert, AJ, and Boyd to work underneath. They have a talented young TE in Uzomah who was impressive when forced in to action last year before injuries shortened his season.

Let's also not forget they have a first round CB in WJIII coming back from a chest injury (so his wheels should be fine) who had 28 PBUs in his senior year...28. Is that a record? They have a first round talent in Billings that will eat double teams that never had to be employed on Peko.

The adjustment period to life without Reggie Nelson wasn't pretty early on, but Williams improved thoughout the season, and we have him and Iloka back with Smith and Fej providing excellent depth.

Vigil is finally going to start in the nickel next to Burfict. When have we had two backers that could cover TEs? I saw Vigil make a play on a Baltimore TE that we almost never see on our team. They are going to be a rock solid tandem.

Dunlap, AJ, Geno, Gio, Dalton, and Burfict are now the leaders. It is their team, and it is their time. I think they will take this to heart and take the team to the next level.

Yes, I have ignored the issue at LT, but couldn't they put a TE like Kroft on that side to chip every down if it comes to that? And Ced should be improved with more strength and a year of OTAs to get situated. I'm not letting the LT situation rain on what I think will be a much improved team after the draft.
Reply/Quote
The draft alone can't save this team. We need the majority of the 11 picks to contribute and be great year one. When is the last time that happened? This is a team rebuilding. Worse off then the 6-9-1 team of last year (and the fall from grace actually dates back to 2015 if you look at our record against teams with winning records).

3-13. Top 5 pick, and Marvin stays because lets be honest, there isn't a HC that would take over a franchise with no urgency or plan for winning, who will force the HC to defend claims of 15M in CAP space when everyone knows it's 43, whose eye is always on a year in advance (2018 comp picks) then the current upcoming season.

This is the real reason Marvin is still here. There isn't a HC prospect that would take this job. It's got to be one of the least desirable. Only thing good is youll have a job for life, no accountability, and playoff wins are frowned upon (because of the extra expense from travel, and the extra games) by the owner.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 08:55 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I expect our record to be similar to that of our 1990's decade until the M&M boys are gone.

Right.  Because making the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years is exactly like the 90's.
Reply/Quote
IF they draft an impact guy like Fournette or Foster...I think that improves the roster A LOT.

IF Andre Smith adjusts to Guard and is a dominant run blocker...that improves the roster A LOT.

IF Fisher and Ced improve...

IF Jackson and Billings can play at an above average level...

A LOT of IF's but I think some could happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  Because making the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years is exactly like the 90's.

We've had the same amount of playoff wins, unless we're including the 90s before Mike took over. Then we actually have won 1 more playoff game in the 90s than the decades since.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has snagged Fred hook, line and sinker with this playoff appearance talk. I guess that's the goal. Make a playoff appearance. Anything else (like a win or Superbowl trip) would be too expensive. I can see Hobspin now trying to add travel and playoff game expenses to the new cap figures like he did when he tried to add upgrades to Paul Brown Stadium to the cap figures a couple years back.

Time to up expectations. Besides the team and coaches that went on that failed run are long gone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Looking at a repeat of last years banner year or worse.

Time for a REAL change from owner on down.
Reply/Quote