Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me your dark horse and your dud for 2018
We can do this again after the draft, as I will surely fall in love with some late round player Tongue , but I thought this would be a fun subject. Your dark horse would be the player that no one has great expectations for, but you believe could have a breakout season. Your dud is the opposite: someone that people are counting on for a big year and it just isn't going to happen, in your eyes.

My dark horse: Tyler Boyd. Maybe he isn't that dark (not racist Hilarious ) but he had a really good rookie season, and finished last year with a big game at Baltimore. I don't know what happened to him last year, early on, but he seemed to not be a big part of the game plan. The kid may not have Ross's speed, but he has great hands and length in the slot. Being a second round pick, he has two more years under this contract, and could be extended after this year if he has a great season. If Dalton is kept clean and the new offense has a solid rushing attack, Dalton should have no problem approaching 4500 yards. For him to do that, Boyd will have a be a big contributor.

My dud: Tyler Eifert. It is nothing personal about the guy. I think he has had terrible luck. He has great talent, but the way he comes across to me in interviews seems like a guy that is relying on "hope" of being healthy, and just letting his natural abilities take over. Seems easy enough, but I was hoping to see a guy that dedicated himself to the weight room to get stronger and more physical. I want to see him determined to make people calling him China Doll (I am not one of them) eat their words. I just don't see that kind of fire in the guy. I think Kroft might actually end up the season with more TDs than Eifert.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Josh Malone, he'll turn some heads as he has a breakout season.

Dud: Dre Kirkpatrick, team will really grow to regret giving him that nice contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dud - Dre K. Guy will PI us into at least 2-3 losses this year and laugh about it.

Dark Horse: Hard to say but I will lean towards Ross. After last year, I really don't have a lot of expectations for him because of Marvin. If Marvin gives the chance to redeem and doesn't punish him for mistakes, we could see some really good football from him. So I hope.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dark Horse:  Josh Malone, he'll turn some heads as he has a breakout season.

Dud:  Dre Kirkpatrick, team will really grow to regret giving him that nice contract.

When I look at the depth at the receiver position (as well as TEs and RBs that are good receivers), I think to myself:  All we have to do is keep Dalton clean....and get the running game on track.

Malone looked pretty good and caught (from what I could remember) his only real downfield target (a floater that Dalton barely got rid of) for a 25 yard TD.  He averaged 19.4 yards per reception his senior year at Tennessee.  I would love to see more opportunities for him down the field.

I really hope you are wrong about Dre.  I was very frustrated with him early on, but then he would show flashes where he defended a top flight WR extremely well.  Streaky is how I would define him.  Streaky and, perhaps more disturbing, unfocused.  He seems to go through lapses of concentration on the field.  If he can improve his consistency, he could actually be the dark horse.  If he doesn't, he might find himself replaced by Dennard. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We can do this again after the draft, as I will surely fall in love with some late round player  Tongue , but I thought this would be a fun subject.  Your dark horse would be the player that no one has great expectations for, but you believe could have a breakout season.  Your dud is the opposite:  someone that people are counting on for a big year and it just isn't going to happen, in your eyes.

My dark horse:  Tyler Boyd.  Maybe he isn't that dark (not racist  Hilarious ) but he had a really good rookie season, and finished last year with a big game at Baltimore.  I don't know what happened to him last year, early on, but he seemed to not be a big part of the game plan.  The kid may not have Ross's speed, but he has great hands and length in the slot.  Being a second round pick, he has two more years under this contract, and could be extended after this year if he has a great season.  If Dalton is kept clean and the new offense has a solid rushing attack, Dalton should have no problem approaching 4500 yards.  For him to do that, Boyd will have a be a big contributor.

My dud:  Tyler Eifert.  It is nothing personal about the guy.  I think he has had terrible luck.  He has great talent, but the way he comes across to me in interviews seems like a guy that is relying on "hope" of being healthy, and just letting his natural abilities take over.  Seems easy enough, but I was hoping to see a guy that dedicated himself to the weight room to get stronger and more physical.  I want to see him determined to make people calling him China Doll (I am not one of them) eat their words.  I just don't see that kind of fire in the guy.  I think Kroft might actually end up the season with more TDs than Eifert.

I'd go with the exact opposite.

Dud: Tyler Boyd. Green, Lafell, Ross, Malone, and Erickson push Boyd down the depth chart and won't dress on game days.

Stud: Tyler Eifert. Hes finally over the back injury that has plagued him for the last two seasons and has another year like 2015.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When I look at the depth at the receiver position (as well as TEs and RBs that are good receivers), I think to myself:  All we have to do is keep Dalton clean....and get the running game on track.

Malone looked pretty good and caught (from what I could remember) his only real downfield target (a floater that Dalton barely got rid of) for a 25 yard TD.  He averaged 19.4 yards per reception his senior year at Tennessee.  I would love to see more opportunities for him down the field.

I really hope you are wrong about Dre.  I was very frustrated with him early on, but then he would show flashes where he defended a top flight WR extremely well.  Streaky is how I would define him.  Streaky and, perhaps more disturbing, unfocused.  He seems to go through lapses of concentration on the field.  If he can improve his consistency, he could actually be the dark horse.  If he doesn't, he might find himself replaced by Dennard. 

I could see the team taking a CB in mid rounds, for developmental purposes.  Your description of his play as "streaky", is quite accurate in my opinion.  However, at a "premium" position like CB, a true professional needs to be consistent and focused in his craft.  At this point, it's tough to see the Bengals ever entertaining the idea of signing him to a 3rd contract.  FWIW, I believe that the dead money on his deal goes down significantly, after this season.

Much like yourself, I certainly hope that he get's it together, and leads the league in PDF and INTs.  But, I'm not holding my breath.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Jordan Willis - I wouldn't necessarily call him a dark horse but he was definitely overshadowed by Carl Lawson's play last year. Willis now has a year under his belt and should get more snaps now that Chris Smith is gone... I expect him to have a good 2018 season.

Dud: Shawn Williams - This may be a personal bias. Shawn Williams isn't Reggie Nelson and I still don't get why we let Reggie Nelson walk away for less annual money than we're paying Shawn Williams (I guess age?). His contract surpasses his play in my opinion... especially after seeing how some good safeties aren't really getting paid in free agency this offseason.
Reply/Quote
DARKHORSE....My first choice for is Josh Malone, but since everyone is picking him I will go for Billings. Billings was the most over hyped draft pick since P.J. Dawson, but we REALLY need a DT to step up and last year was Billings first after his knee surgery. Even Geno looked human the year after his surgery.

DUD...Billings. Most overhyped pick since P J Dawson.

I am guaranteed to be right. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Dud...Burfict...He's already starting with a suspension. Iffy on concussions. And probably will have some late hit to be reviewed again by the office.

Darkhorse...Well I'll say Jackson. Has potential to play a lot more and gather some picks
Reply/Quote
Darkhorse........ Hopefully Ross

Dud........ Burfict by missing more than half a season with suspensions before it is over. Hope I am wrong

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:57 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Dud...Burfict...He's already starting with a suspension.  Iffy on concussions.  And probably will have some late hit to be reviewed again by the office.

Darkhorse...Well I'll say Jackson.  Has potential to play a lot more and gather some picks

I can see the Burfict selection due to spotty availability.  

Disagree on WJIII due to the fact that most probably already expect him to be one of the 5 best players on the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: DARKHORSE....My first choice for is Josh Malone, but since everyone is picking him I will go for Billings.  Billings was the most over hyped draft pick since P.J. Dawson, but we REALLY need a DT to step up and last year was Billings first after his knee surgery.  Even Geno looked human the year after his surgery.

DUD...Billings.  Most overhyped pick since P J Dawson.

I am guaranteed to be right.  ThumbsUp

Guaranteed to be wrong too haha ;-)

I hope your dark horse prediction is the right one!
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse
Jordan Evans

Dud
Alex Erickson
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Dark horse, rg. Whoever wins the spot shows they have talent and blossom under pollack.

Dud, Cordy Glenn. This is only due to health concerns. The ghost of Antonio Bryant rears its ugly head showing the bengals didn't due an adequate med check and buffalo sold us damaged goods. I hope I'm wrong
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse - Ross. John has a legitimately talented skill-set. Diverse route tree, great separation and explosion as well as elite top-end speed. After a full off-season of staying healthy as well as putting in work with TJ, I expect Ross to be a contributor to the offense and start pushing LaFell for play time. I'm saying 400-600 yards and 3-4 TDs to kick start his production.

Dud - Burfict. His injuries and suspensions are starting to really take a toll. When he is on the field, his effect is still staggering but the referees are whistle happy with him, have no issue throwing him out and he also gets banged up regularly. Last year, he barely played in 50% of defensive snaps. In 2016 he played in 62% of snaps. 2015 was 43% and 2014 was 19%. He is talented but rarely available. That likely won't change this next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We can do this again after the draft, as I will surely fall in love with some late round player  Tongue , but I thought this would be a fun subject.  Your dark horse would be the player that no one has great expectations for, but you believe could have a breakout season.  Your dud is the opposite:  someone that people are counting on for a big year and it just isn't going to happen, in your eyes.

My dark horse:  Tyler Boyd.  Maybe he isn't that dark (not racist  Hilarious ) but he had a really good rookie season, and finished last year with a big game at Baltimore.  I don't know what happened to him last year, early on, but he seemed to not be a big part of the game plan.  The kid may not have Ross's speed, but he has great hands and length in the slot.  Being a second round pick, he has two more years under this contract, and could be extended after this year if he has a great season.  If Dalton is kept clean and the new offense has a solid rushing attack, Dalton should have no problem approaching 4500 yards.  For him to do that, Boyd will have a be a big contributor.

My dud:  Tyler Eifert.  It is nothing personal about the guy.  I think he has had terrible luck.  He has great talent, but the way he comes across to me in interviews seems like a guy that is relying on "hope" of being healthy, and just letting his natural abilities take over.  Seems easy enough, but I was hoping to see a guy that dedicated himself to the weight room to get stronger and more physical.  I want to see him determined to make people calling him China Doll (I am not one of them) eat their words.  I just don't see that kind of fire in the guy.  I think Kroft might actually end up the season with more TDs than Eifert.

Dud is Burfict, we already know he is missing at least 4 games and style of play likely he misses more due to injury or supension

Dark Horse - Eifert as not many expect him to stay healthy, I think he does and shows he is a stud again. But can't be a stud if you cant't play majority f the snaps.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Dark horse: Chris Baker and Bobby Hart. People are sleeping on those signings, but I could easily see both starting and performing well. Especially Baker. I also see Mixon going for over 1000 yards on 4.5 YPC or so, with the improvements to the line.

Dud: I'll lay down a hot take and say AJ Green. Ultimately, I do think he'll bounce back, but he had a bad year (by his standards) in 2017, and he turns 30 in July. It's within reason to say that his slide could start soon. Even then, I don't think he'd be a complete dud, but it wouldn't totally shock me if his best days are behind him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse- Brandon Wilson, I have absolutely nothing to back this up other than a gut feeling. I think he will surprise us with his ST play as well as S and occasional RB duties.

Dud- Joe Mixon- Again nothing but a gut feeling. I liked the pick at the time and I know the line has been horrible but to be honest I have seen nothing to suggest Mixon will be a pro bowl back. I know I will catch flack for this and I hope I'm wrong but looking at this past season unbiased, Kamara, Hunt, Fournette, even Cook before his injury looked like the better pick than Mixon. I know we didn't have a shot at Fournette but the other guys were there.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 11:47 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dark Horse
Jordan Evans

Interesting pick.

Nohting spectacular last year, but he got a lot of experience for a 6th round rookie.  Played over 30% of the teams snaps on defense (311) and another 246 on special teams.

Neither he nor Vigil impressed me much last year, but I'd think Evans is more likely to improve sigificantly because Vigil was already in his second year. 
Reply/Quote
Dark horse - Eifert - and he will be out the door with more (money from someone else) in 2019

Dud - Glen - no one gives up a truly successful left tackle unless there is a significant risk - except the Bengals (and to be fair the Patriots)
Reply/Quote