Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give the new regime a chance
(03-13-2019, 11:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not to mention, Uzo played hurt down the stretch and continued to produce.  While I'm not thrilled with the Hart signing, I understand the basics of it.  I guess we're in the minority in liking the Uzo and Brown extensions.  Uzo is a good blocker too.

Hell, I didn't pop a cork when we re-signed Hart; I just didn't bust a spring. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, I didn't pop a cork when we re-signed Hart; I just didn't bust a spring. 

Yeah.....at first I was like WTF, but when the details came out, and you step back and look at our T situation and what guys not much better than Bobby got....it made a little sense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone that would argue that would make themselves look pretty foolish.

AJ is way better than Landry.

Also, exceptional is a bit much. He didn’t even have 1k yds.

I'm not going to argue this because I JUST said I didn't agree.

However, if 1K yards is your breaking point for exceptional, how many did AJ have last year?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:03 AM)Big Boss Wrote: We're only a couple of days into free agency, and we still have the draft coming up, so I'm not jumping ship just yet.  But where it stands now, the team has not gotten better on paper.  The coaching staff is a complete unknown factor at this point, so all we have to go off of is the roster - which is mostly unchanged from last season.  If anything, it's gotten worse since we lost Kroft.  

That's the only question I'm asking right now.  What have they done to get better?  As of today, not much.

Yeas, at this point we can only hope the coaching staff makes up for the talent discrepancy and we have absolutely nothing to go on in that regard. Other than Taylor it doesn't feel that great and TBH i'm not entirely sure why Taylor is getting a pass from a lot of fans other than he's not Marvin. I was also excited in the beginning but then the position coaches started rolling in and nobody wanted to be our DC.  Not hiring Jack was a big fail for me.

So yeah, i'm hoping these guys are indeed wizards.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:54 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't have any issue with your optimism, but I do strongly disagree with a couple things:

1.  There's no guarantee that Taylor will be any better on game day than Marvin.  He's a rookie coach, there's bound to be some issues.

2.  The Pro-Bowl WR , RB, WR2 and Dalton will be extremely ineffective if the right side of the line isn't addressed.  

I don't think this team is that far away, but the start of free agency really makes me wonder if these guys have any clue what they are doing.  I can't see any scenario where you bring back the worst RT in the game AND give him a raise.

How about Dalton being better than Goff with the right guidance?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.  The team was playing winning offensive football before the injuries took their toll.  Glenn played hurt a lot (had to have an epidural just to try to take the field late in the season), Price was hurt and young, Brown played hurt, Uzo, etc.  That said, when I look at it, not having good depth is what REALLY sunk the team.  Goes back to the drafts, like you said.

That said, they didn't utilize Bernard at all.  Seemed confused on how to use Ross, had no contingency plan when the TE injuries piled up, and so forth.  Things like this are where the coaching may make a difference.

Yep. Injuries require depth. But, they also require adjusting the playbook to make due with what you have.

We've not been good at that.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:24 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: So far everyone is being really negative on the team. I feel we have the best WR in football on our team right now A QB who with the right guidance is better than Goff. A RB who might peak next year to become all pro. A pro bowl caliber number 2 WR A top 10 Defensive line with a mediocre secondary. With a new coach who by default will be better on gameday than what we had by a mile . its not all doom and gloom.

It’s nice to see a positive post. I’m excited to see a coaching staff that’s excited to do their jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
You have to give the new HC a chance, but the franchise deserves to be heavily scrutinized. They have earned that.
Reply/Quote
AJ has never been the best WR in the NFL in any one year, sort of like Chad. Top five and top three plenty of times, but never thee best.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:14 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: AJ has never been the best WR in the NFL in any one year, sort of like Chad. Top five and top three plenty of times, but never thee best.

Who was the best WR in 2006?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who was the best WR in 2006?

Marvin Harrison.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 01:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I'm not going to argue this because I JUST said I didn't agree.

However, if 1K yards is your breaking point for exceptional, how many did AJ have last year?

I know YOU said you wouldn’t argue it, but you said a case could be made. And I’m saying it couldn’t. It would be silly for ANYONE to Try and make a case that Landry is better than AJ.

As for last year, AJ was on pace for 1400 yards before the injury. Maybe his body isn’t what it once was as far as avoiding injuries, but his skill level is still extremely high. Higher than Landry’s, that’s for sure.

Reply/Quote
Fred always brings up how the Bengals in 2011 didn't break the bank on the top FAs but brought in solid players that contributed and improved our defense. We need that at LB and it's looking like we'll have to replace Dennard. They should be busy at the end of this week and next week if that's the case. I can live with focusing on OL in the draft.

If they do this, I can be more comfortable overpaying for Hart.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:24 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: So far everyone is being really negative on the team. I feel we have the best WR in football on our team right now A QB who with the right guidance is better than Goff. A RB who might peak next year to become all pro. A pro bowl caliber number 2 WR A top 10 Defensive line with a mediocre secondary. With a new coach who by default will be better on gameday than what we had by a mile . its not all doom and gloom.

Totally agree. But it wouldn’t be a Bengals message board if it wasn’t inundated with negative fans who don’t post much when good things happen but love to complain during free agency
Reply/Quote
Were there even message boards last time we won a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
How many posts have I seen over the years complaining about the coaching staff and how it didn’t matter what players we have because our coaches sucked? Now we finally have a new coaching staff and the naysayers are still out in full force. I’m going to tell you to chill and wait, which you won’t do. You’ll just keep crying and saying we never make any changes even though we have made major changes this year.
Reply/Quote