Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion
The Browns have been trying to trade for Trent Williams every week. Time to dump Cordy Glenn on them for a 3rd Round pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 09:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They almost certainly won't sign a Tackle in free agency. It's a premium position and there aren't a lot of them. The cost will be soo high too.

I agree though that they should try. We just both know it's not their MO.

Just think about how many crapsters they've signed, in any random year and how they could have pooled that money and put it towards one single A+ guy that would start and immediately upgrade the team. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hell....all I know is some of you cats should be sipping bourbon and beer with me in my cave right now....1500 watts of Yamaha power with Cerwin Vega center, sides, and surrounds, a Klipsch 12 inch 500 watt self powered sub blaring Jerry Lee Lewis in all his late country music glory, watching the Wake/ FSU tilt! Eff this Bungals shit.....lol

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We lose!!!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: We lose!!!!!

Well...at least you're already primed for tomorrow. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just think about how many crapsters they've signed, in any random year and how they could have pooled that money and put it towards one single A+ guy that would start and immediately upgrade the team. 

No doubt. Seems some of us talk about it EVERY year.

This year, they could have added guys like Jordan Hicks at LB and Saffold at Guard (who knows the Rams system) instead of Miller, Preston Brown, and Wynn. Plus, we still have $14 million in cap space.

Moves like this are what the Rams do.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hell....all I know is some of you cats should be sipping bourbon and beer with me in my cave right now....1500 watts of Yamaha power with Cerwin Vega center, sides, and surrounds, a Klipsch 12 inch 500 watt self powered sub blaring Jerry Lee Lewis in all his late country music glory, watching the Wake/ FSU tilt! Eff this Bungals shit.....lol

Haha. That does sound better than the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:30 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know. I'd guess that's an internal thing and they don't announce each step once they're cleared because, i'd imagine, there is a possibility for relapse at any time. 

If he's announced a "full go", that means literally everything. Same as with him listed as FP on the injury report on Wednesday before it was changed to DNP with a NIR (not injury related) on Thursday and Friday. 

The smoking gun seems to be the blowup and him leaving, asking to be traded, because the Bengals expected him on the field, ready to go, and he didn't feel he was ready. Like the link i posted before, that's not in his hands to decide. The docs say when he's ready and when they say go, he's expected to go. I think that backs up your argument that he's not dogging it. He was cleared, but didn't feel he was ready to play in a game yet. That's when the dispute/walkout/fine happened. 

The Bengals also cleared Ben Utecht to return to play after his career ending concussion when he told them he wasn't ready.  He filed a grievance and won his arbitration because he "had not been sufficiently tested, both in his aerobic and strength reconditioning program, nor had he been tested in sport-specific activities, which would be a more accurate means of determining whether the damage caused by the concussion had 'cleared.' "  The Bengals aren't following the return to play protocol so they're making the same mistakes all over again.  If Glenn files a grievance over this he'll win, just like Utecht.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217129/article/ben-utecht-awarded-remainder-of-his-2009-salary-by-arbitrator

Hey, XandOs, I guess Utecht was a malingerer faking an injury which can't be confirmed with a image or a lab test?  And in your professional opinion, he didn't have a concussion because it lasted more than 8 weeks . . . which would make it a TBI?  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 01:01 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Bengals also cleared Ben Utecht to return to play after his career ending concussion when he told them he wasn't ready.  He filed a grievance and won his arbitration because he "had not been sufficiently tested, both in his aerobic and strength reconditioning program, nor had he been tested in sport-specific activities, which would be a more accurate means of determining whether the damage caused by the concussion had 'cleared.' " The Bengals aren't following the return to play protocol so they're making the same mistakes all over again.  If Glenn files a grievance over this he'll win, just like Utecht.

That was 10 years ago and doesn't have anything to do with Glenn. Unlike Utecht, Glenn has to be cleared by the team physician and an independent neurologist, before he's able to resume full contact. 

Got a link for the bolded part?

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:06 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Miss me yet?

https://www.google.com/search?q=paul+alexander+bengals&rlz=1C1_____enUS856US856&sxsrf=ACYBGNQUk1qHVAdJPVF8ClhLRHdpcJUxAg:1571360818686&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjroaWbz6TlAhUuuVkKHSg8D4kQ_AUIEygC&biw=1920&bih=968#imgrc=FuL1pzFx-I0ruM:

He is the one that pounded his fist on the table and demanded Ogehdi and Fisher. How did they turn out? He started this shit show decline. Cowboys were smart and fired his ass mid season. The Bengals stuck with this moron for 20+years judging talent on how they pour ketchup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 02:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Everyone seems to think the pass protection isn’t an issue — which it is — but why isn’t anyone complaining about the worst run blocking in NFL history?

You serious Clark?

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed....and as I noted somewhere on here, we are basically totally ditching the old philosophy for a new one. Same as we did when Sam Wyche took over. This team was built for an antiquated AFCN approach. The new staff is looking at a modern west coast style of play. We don't have the horses for it across the roster. There are some pieces here and there, but not enough. The team is going to have to get aggressive in its personnel moves and fast. If the team still falls flat, then it's time to look at coaching. With as late of a start as we got assembling the staff due to the archaic rules of hiring coaches until they're done in the playoffs, we were behind the 8 ball before we even got started. A lot of people have lost sight of that little nugget.

EDIT: As a FSU fan, the same thing happened there, and last season looked brutal. This season started about the same, but over the last few weeks, the team has shown signs of pretty good improvement.

Basically, we did have it on offense until they lost Ross and Green, leaving no vertical speed to open up the middle of the field.  The running game also benefits from the vertical speed, forcing opposing defenses to drop their safeties.  We haven't taken a vertical shot since week 1???
Losing Jonah Williams, and Cordy Glenn seemingly losing his balls sure didn't help either.

The defense is a whole other matter.  The lack of talent at the LB position is staggering.  The secondary is loaded with first round picks and can't seem to cover anyone.  The front four that we loved so much in the offseason disappeared after week 1.  They need a TON of roster turnover. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Seriously though, that whole "build the line before you get the QB" is so antiquated, i get a subdural hematoma every time i read it. That thinking went out the window as soon as FA started. You can do both or get the QB first, just as easy these days. 

You are right. It is harder to replace 5 guys as opposed to 1 guy. It's also harder to accumulate 5 good offensive linemen and then pay them all within 5 years. That's why you get the QB, then build around him--as you said, a mobile QB. One that has wheels is a plus. That QB can last a decade+ and he will fit under the cap easier than multiple offensive linemen. 

If i never see that '70s thinking around here again...it will be too soon. 

Just to stay on topic, the Bengals have a potential franchise LT, they have a guy playing well (though declining every week--hopefully he picks up this week) at center. They have a bunch of guys to compete for other positions and they have some good draft positions coming up. And then there's a couple offensive linemen out there in free agency. 

They really do have the ability to fix the line in 1 season. 

Sorry to hear it, but that is how I see it.

Do you remember how the Ravens were created?  The Jags?  Those teams had instant credibility because of the talent on their lines.  We need to ditch the "only a few pieces away" and really overhaul the roster.  To do that, we have to eschew the QB in next year's draft and try to get a haul for our first round pick.  I honestly see Miami winning before the Bengals.  There are more guys injured (are they really?  Or do they just not want to play?) and guys quitting (Glenn) here than anywhere else to my knowledge.  Could have first overall pick.  If they draft a 6'1" QB without mobility, it will not improve this team at all.  If they trade it with Miami even jor a few spots, it should yield an additional first rounder.  Get two Pro Bowlers with those first two picks (easier said than done, I know) and make some key FA acquisitions (I see the Bengals actually doing this as they might otherwise have to pay people to come to their games) and get competitive fairly quickly.  

Dalton is under contract one more year.  They will likely still be (well) below .500 next year and can test out Finley or even Dolegala before settling on a QB in the draft.  

So, instead of getting a subdural hematoma every time it comes up, maybe look at it as just waiting on the QB until Fields is in the draft and getting key talent at key positions while Dalton is still under contract.  Do you really think they would be able to move Dalton or start Tua over him?  That is why I would see that as a wasted year.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sorry to hear it, but that is how I see it.

Do you remember how the Ravens were created?  The Jags?  Those teams had instant credibility because of the talent on their lines.  We need to ditch the "only a few pieces away" and really overhaul the roster.  To do that, we have to eschew the QB in next year's draft and try to get a haul for our first round pick.  I honestly see Miami winning before the Bengals.  There are more guys injured (are they really?  Or do they just not want to play?) and guys quitting (Glenn) here than anywhere else to my knowledge.  Could have first overall pick.  If they draft a 6'1" QB without mobility, it will not improve this team at all.  If they trade it with Miami even jor a few spots, it should yield an additional first rounder.  Get two Pro Bowlers with those first two picks (easier said than done, I know) and make some key FA acquisitions (I see the Bengals actually doing this as they might otherwise have to pay people to come to their games) and get competitive fairly quickly.  

Dalton is under contract one more year.  They will likely still be (well) below .500 next year and can test out Finley or even Dolegala before settling on a QB in the draft.  

So, instead of getting a subdural hematoma every time it comes up, maybe look at it as just waiting on the QB until Fields is in the draft and getting key talent at key positions while Dalton is still under contract.  Do you really think they would be able to move Dalton or start Tua over him?  That is why I would see that as a wasted year.  

I'm not a Tua fan. Fromm is Dalton 2.0. Herbert is just too inconsistent and his accuracy sufferes more often than not when pressured and he looks a bit skittish there. Right now, i'm more of an Eason and Burrow fan. Hurts looks like a guy whose stock is rising and probably could be gotten sometime from the 2nd round on. 

I've said it at least 5 different times in different threads but free agency and being bad is a good recipe for improving your team dramatically. It's how the NFL is structured. 

As i've said, it would take dealing someone and finding a way to get back in the first round but they can draft a QB, draft a G, sign a T and LB, draft more LBs and Oline (as well as all the other usual positions in the draft) and be competitive next year, with a young, talented QB and a rebuilt offensive line. 

It is very easily doable for any team that really wants to win. That is where the real issue lies. The Bengals aren't the kind of team to make those moves because they're backwards-ass half-wits (sorry, got angrier as this post went on Sad ). 

But it can be done by the start of next season. QB and Oline and LBs all in one offseason. 

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Basically, we did have it on offense until they lost Ross and Green, leaving no vertical speed to open up the middle of the field.  The running game also benefits from the vertical speed, forcing opposing defenses to drop their safeties.  We haven't taken a vertical shot since week 1???
Losing Jonah Williams, and Cordy Glenn seemingly losing his balls sure didn't help either.

The defense is a whole other matter.  The lack of talent at the LB position is staggering.  The secondary is loaded with first round picks and can't seem to cover anyone.  The front four that we loved so much in the offseason disappeared after week 1.  They need a TON of roster turnover. 

Is it players or scheme on defense?

Preston Brown was a decent LB in Buffalo. The secondary is filled with high picks...and guys like Bates and Jackson flashed serious talent in previous seasons.

I doubt the entire team just aged to the point that the are terrible.

It has to be coaching/scheme at some level.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 12:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm not a Tua fan. Fromm is Dalton 2.0. Herbert is just too inconsistent and his accuracy sufferes more often than not when pressured and he looks a bit skittish there. Right now, i'm more of an Eason and Burrow fan. Hurts looks like a guy whose stock is rising and probably could be gotten sometime from the 2nd round on. 

I've said it at least 5 different times in different threads but free agency and being bad is a good recipe for improving your team dramatically. It's how the NFL is structured. 

As i've said, it would take dealing someone and finding a way to get back in the first round but they can draft a QB, draft a G, sign a T and LB, draft more LBs and Oline (as well as all the other usual positions in the draft) and be competitive next year, with a young, talented QB and a rebuilt offensive line. 

It is very easily doable for any team that really wants to win. That is where the real issue lies. The Bengals aren't the kind of team to make those moves because they're backwards-ass half-wits (sorry, got angrier as this post went on Sad ). 

But it can be done by the start of next season. QB and Oline and LBs all in one offseason. 

Burrows would be the top of my list too. I'mma hard pass on Bama and OSU QBs.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Burrows would be the top of my list too. I'mma hard pass on Bama and OSU QBs.

I don't know. Burrow is A LOT of hype. He doesn't have the tremendous physical skills that you'd hope a #1 pick would have.

That said, I'll have to watch him next week. I see they play I think it's Auburn. I'll watch that and see.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is it players or scheme on defense?

Preston Brown was a decent LB in Buffalo. The secondary is filled with high picks...and guys like Bates and Jackson flashed serious talent in previous seasons.

I doubt the entire team just aged to the point that the are terrible.

It has to be coaching/scheme at some level.

As I watched today, I got the feeling that the regression of the back end is due to largely non existent pressure from the d line. Geno can't do it all, and they can only cover so long. I saw our guys have zero rush moves....just bullrush. No swim, no knife, no speed from the edges very often, and not much disengaging from blocks. Hell, that throw Minshew missed into the back of the end zone, he had so much time he didn't know whether to shit or go blind....dancing around like DWTS. 

Pratt looked a little better today.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: As I watched today, I got the feeling that the regression of the back end is due to largely non existent pressure from the d line. Geno can't do it all. I saw our guys have zero rush moves....just bullrush. No swim, no knife, no speed from the edges very often, and not much disengaging from blocks. Hell, that throw Minshew missed into the back of the end zone, he had so much time he didn't know wether to shit or go blind....dancing around like DWTS. 

All true stuff.

Interestingly, I think Dennard brought some physical play at CB. He looked good.

Webb isn't even an average CB. McRae isn't good at all and got beat.

However, it felt like our secondary play was better...but then we still gave up 460 yards so I don't know.

IF we had an offense that could hold the ball for half the game, it would be easier to evaluate the defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: All true stuff.

Interestingly, I think Dennard brought some physical play at CB. He looked good.

Webb isn't even an average CB. McRae isn't good at all and got beat.

However, it felt like our secondary play was better...but then we still gave up 460 yards so I don't know.

IF we had an offense that could hold the ball for half the game, it would be easier to evaluate the defense.

Yep...pretty much all of that. I thought Dennard coming back would help some.... he's pretty good in run support and tackling in general.

Reply/Quote