Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article on MMQB this morning ....
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/03/nfl-cincinnati-bengals-joe-mixon-john-ross-andy-dalton

I think he pretty much nails it. Front office decided that the best way to help our team this year was through the addition of two dynamic playmakers in Ross and Mixon. Hoping it will work as planned.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:08 AM)shanebo Wrote: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/03/nfl-cincinnati-bengals-joe-mixon-john-ross-andy-dalton

I think he pretty much nails it.  Front office decided that the best way to help our team this year was through the addition of two dynamic playmakers in Ross and Mixon.  Hoping it will work as planned.
Even teams with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers do that also.

You need to have playmakers around your QB. Bottom line.
Reply/Quote
I object to how the article treats Dalton as some kind of sub-par QB. That's clearly not the case IMHO. Otherwise, I'm glad someone can recognize the talent we drafted in the first two rounds for our offense. I'm curious to see just how quickly Malone might develop.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:04 AM)Shady Wrote: I object to how the article treats Dalton as some kind of sub-par QB. That's clearly not the case IMHO. Otherwise, I'm glad someone can recognize the talent we drafted in the first two rounds for our offense. I'm curious to see just how quickly Malone might develop.

That, and I don't know what college games this cat watched, but Cook is a dynamic pass catcher as well.  I mean, didn't he at least watch the Bowl game, and the over the shoulder catch 50+ yards downfield?  I seriously wonder about the credentials of some of these guys.....isn't SI the same bunch that wrote an article about piano man? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Using every pick since 2006 to draft an offensive player within the first two rounds is connected to surrounding Andy Dalton with playmakers? Feels like they just wanted to get that interesting factoid in there.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: That, and I don't know what college games this cat watched, but Cook is a dynamic pass catcher as well.  I mean, didn't he at least watch the Bowl game, and the over the shoulder catch 50+ yards downfield?  I seriously wonder about the credentials of some of these guys.....isn't SI the same bunch that wrote an article about piano man? Mellow

Journalism's dead pretty much across the board. It's no different in sports reporting. Fluff and hate seem like the only options. Knowledge and facts are passe. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:04 AM)Shady Wrote: I object to how the article treats Dalton as some kind of sub-par QB. That's clearly not the case IMHO. Otherwise, I'm glad someone can recognize the talent we drafted in the first two rounds for our offense. I'm curious to see just how quickly Malone might develop.

Feel the exact same way Shady. Dalton is a fine QB, weapons help every QB not just Dalton.

He has had lots of great games while Green was injured, he has played very well at times without the great weapons.

But these two are huge upgrades IMHO. Ross and Mixon are special players. Malone too, who is pretty much another
Chris Henry that can also be a ST stud that can return Kicks if needed. Major steal in the 4th round the more i read up.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:46 AM)Shady Wrote: Journalism's dead pretty much across the board. It's no different in sports reporting. Fluff and hate seem like the only options. Knowledge and facts are passe. 

You got that right sir..... :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: That, and I don't know what college games this cat watched, but Cook is a dynamic pass catcher as well.  I mean, didn't he at least watch the Bowl game, and the over the shoulder catch 50+ yards downfield?  I seriously wonder about the credentials of some of these guys.....isn't SI the same bunch that wrote an article about piano man? Mellow

Yeah, that's laughable.  He was a beast in the passing game vs Clemson as well.  
Reply/Quote

I will never understand that statement? Dalton makes a lot of plays with nothing there and can make all the throws. Sure he throws a stinker from time to time, but what QB doesn't? Not neccessarily always his fault either. 4000 yds and without your 2 best receivers for most of the year.......
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:13 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, that's laughable.  He was a beast in the passing game vs Clemson as well.  

When you look at the numbers, and the tape, I don't see where he gets that?  I seldom miss an FSU game....I thought Peter King was supposed to be damn near infallible, so much for that.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I will never understand that statement? Dalton makes a lot of plays with nothing there and can make all the throws. Sure he throws a stinker from time to time, but what QB doesn't? Not neccessarily always his fault either. 4000 yds and without your 2 best receivers for most of the year.......

Until Dalton starts winning playoff games...he's not going to be considered an elite QB.

There were 13 QB's that passed for over 4000 yards this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Until Dalton starts winning playoff games...he's not going to be considered an elite QB.

to bad he cant win them all by himself or we would probly have a few wins by now.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even teams with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers do that also.

You need to have playmakers around your QB. Bottom line.

Yep. And when AJ Green and/or Eifert is out, there has really only been one or no playmaker on the field. LaFell and Boyd are solid players, but playmakers they are not. Bernard is a playmaker at times, but sometimes he just disappears.
If there's just one playmaker, he is double covered and the rest single. If there are multiple, it's hard to cover that.
With the additions of Ross and Mixon, it adds two more playmakers to give the Bengals a total of four to five true playmakers and provides insurance in case Eifert/Green happens to be out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep. And when AJ Green and/or Eifert is out, there has really only been one or no playmaker on the field. LaFell and Boyd are solid players, but playmakers they are not. Bernard is a playmaker at times, but sometimes he just disappears.
If there's just one playmaker, he is double covered and the rest single. If there are multiple, it's hard to cover that.
With the additions of Ross and Mixon, it adds two more playmakers to give the Bengals a total of four to five true playmakers and provides insurance in case Eifert/Green happens to be out.

Plus...we're really not a good running team. Some of it is the backs. Some of it is the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 02:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Plus...we're really not a good running team. Some of it is the backs. Some of it is the offensive line.

It's pretty clear the Bengals are going full spread offense this year and hoping the pass opens up the run.
Hope it works!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 01:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Until Dalton starts winning playoff games...he's not going to be considered an elite QB.

There's a big gap between "considering him elite" and disrespecting the ____ out of him routinely. I don't see publications constantly ripping Stafford like that, and what the heck has that dude won? Only 11 QBs threw for 4200, and I doubt any of them dealt with as many injuries. 

AJ Green essentially missed 7 games. Eifert essentially missed 9. Gio missed 6+ and is also a top receiver. For half the season, his top WRs were LaFell (a newly added free agent) and Boyd (a rookie). That's not even getting into the o-line issues. Or the poor running.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's a big gap between "considering him elite" and disrespecting the ____ out of him routinely. I don't see publications constantly ripping Stafford like that, and what the heck has that dude won? Only 11 QBs threw for 4200, and I doubt any of them dealt with as many injuries. 

AJ Green essentially missed 7 games. Eifert essentially missed 9. Gio missed 6+ and is also a top receiver. For half the season, his top WRs were LaFell (a newly added free agent) and Boyd (a rookie). That's not even getting into the o-line issues. 

You mean those 41 sacks?  Mere child's play.....

I agree....for the life of me, I'll never understand the ridicule.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's a big gap between "considering him elite" and disrespecting the ____ out of him routinely. I don't see publications constantly ripping Stafford like that, and what the heck has that dude won? Only 11 QBs threw for 4200, and I doubt any of them dealt with as many injuries. 

AJ Green essentially missed 7 games. Eifert essentially missed 9. Gio missed 6+ and is also a top receiver. For half the season, his top WRs were LaFell (a newly added free agent) and Boyd (a rookie). That's not even getting into the o-line issues. Or the poor running. I think he had an impressive season all things considered.

I can remember a time with Bengals boards (old one was brutal) fans ripped AD for getting out of bed. It is good to see a great young man get the respect he deserves as an NFL QB. Yes, he needs to win playoff games, bit I like him, I respect him and guys like him are great for the NFL and for our community.

I will go on a limb and say AD has his best year in 2017 and then bests that in 2018 if he can avoid injury.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: You mean those 41 sacks?  Mere child's play.....

I agree....for the life of me, I'll never understand the ridicule.

I think it's partly that he was drafted 35th overall (something King mentioned as if it shows his talent level) and the fact that he came in with AJ Green drafted ahead of him. The perception ever since is that AJ Green is carrying a bad QB. Of course, the bad playoff games haven't helped Andy's case, and no one in the national media is going to look deeply enough at the Bengals to see that's more of a team wide issue under Marvin. It's much easier to just feed the "Dalton is mediocre" narrative.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote