Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news, Bad news
Good news: Marvin is out.

Bad news: The person that has the final say on who is the next HC goes by the name of Mike Brown.

Why do I have a sinking feeling that Hue and Mike are going to have a meeting at some point this week to discuss.....man, I can't even bring myself to type the rest.

Anyway, here's to hoping for the best!
Reply/Quote
For Mikey, losing to the Browns twice was already too much. Hiring the loser coach they fired would not be something he would even consider. That is my opinion, I would think Tobin and Katie would carry weight in this regard as well. Everything Hue did as HC of the Browns stank worse than Dave Shula and the fan base would further implode if he went the Hue route.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:37 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Good news: Marvin is out.

Bad news: The person that has the final say on who is the next HC goes by the name of Mike Brown.  

Why do I have a sinking feeling that Hue and Mike are going to have a meeting at some point this week to discuss.....man, I can't even bring myself to type the rest.

From what I am hearing Darrin Simmons looks like the favorite if they stay internal.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:11 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: From what I am hearing Darrin Simmons looks like the favorite if they stay internal.

So we can look forward to me calling him "The other Darrin from Bewitched" Simmons.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:11 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: From what I am hearing Darrin Simmons looks like the favorite if they stay internal.

Please Mike or Katie, or whichever one of you pinheads is making this hire, please do not have a favorite before anybody outside the goofy circle has even been interviewed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Yeah, go ahead and hire Darrin Simmons and here comes 35k per game attendance next year. Bengals have to hire outside of the building if they want the fanbase to give a damn.
Reply/Quote
There is no logical reason Mike Brown would consider an internal hire. It makes zero sense. Besides, the Bengals need a new start, not merely turning the next page. I think Mike knows this. I know Marvin Lewis knows this.
Reply/Quote
We have interview requests in for 2 Rams coaches

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Actually picking coaches is one thing that Mike has a decent record with.

Everyone mocked him for hiring an arena league coach with no NFL experience as an OC, but Gruden went on to become a HC.

Mike Zimmer was not a top name when we hired him, but that hire transformed this team.

Both those guys were outside hires.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually picking coaches is one thing that Mike has a decent record with.

Everyone mocked him for hiring an arena league coach with no NFL experience as an OC, but Gruden went on to become a HC.

Mike Zimmer was not a top name when we hired him, but that hire transformed this team.

Both those guys were outside hires.

I was under the impression Marvin had control of all coaching staff hires.  I could be wrong, but I think it was Marvin's call to bring in guys like Gruden and Zimmer.

Either way, let's hope we end up with a winner.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is no logical reason Mike Brown would consider an internal hire.   It makes zero sense. Besides, the Bengals need a new start, not merely turning the next page.  I think Mike knows this.  I know Marvin Lewis knows this.

Let's hope Mikey can step out of his comfort zone this time.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's hope Mikey can step out of his comfort zone this time.

Personally, I feel like Mike Brown being moved out of his "comfort zone" is being motivated by father time, more than anything else.  He wants to win a championship, before his days are done.  He put a ton of trust and stock in Marvin, who was supposed to be the one to take us to the promised land.  Now, he's in his 80's, and is now motivated to do whatever it takes to make that dream happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd agree with others that there is reason for optimism here. Nothing is a sure thing but Brown at least has the ability to make good coaching picks. It sounds like he has a concrete plan about the selection process over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it both allows enough time to make a good decision/interview enough candidates, but not so much time that the best prospects are already gone. That said, I'd err on the side of caution -- you don't always know who those best prospects are.

Irrational thing I want: Urban Meyer's health to totally rebound and for him to decide to come coach for us. I know I know it will never happen but it would be pretty great (at least in my book) if it did.

Reply/Quote

From the moment Paul Brown died this team has been all about hope. Based on history Paul was more progressive and forward thinking than his son has been. We’d all like to think Marvin helped progress Mike but Marvin is publicly saying Hue should be the next coach. So we are hoping that Mike ignores Marvin and instead listens to fans. If that happens I think it will be the first time in Mikes history that he’s let fans dictate his actions. I’m sure even Mike realized in 2003 that the team had a lack of coaching and player talent. I’m 100% positive Mike would just like to insert Hue right now and try to keep some continuity with a team that has player talent. But he has seen the empty seats and I have to believe, not hope, that he’s smart enough to realize the firestorm that comes with doing that.
Reply/Quote

I don't think it'll be hue. Maybe that's just me being hopeful, but I always felt if Mike fired marvin, the family would move away from the culture of the coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:15 PM)McC Wrote: Please Mike or Katie, or whichever one of you pinheads is making this hire, please do not have a favorite before anybody outside the goofy circle has even been interviewed.

(12-31-2018, 04:22 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Yeah, go ahead and hire Darrin Simmons and here comes 35k per game attendance next year.  Bengals have to hire outside of the building if they want the fanbase to give a damn.

(12-31-2018, 04:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There is no logical reason Mike Brown would consider an internal hire.   It makes zero sense. Besides, the Bengals need a new start, not merely turning the next page.  I think Mike knows this.  I know Marvin Lewis knows this.

I couldn't agree more with all you guys. Sound words 100%. Problem is we've learned that Mike Brown has his own way of processing running a football team. And we all know his record as an owner...

I think he got most of his genes from mom. Dad was a brilliant innovator for the game of football and his son? Well i think he enjoys bathing in money more...

[Image: tub-o-money1.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's hope Mikey can step out of his comfort zone this time.

Gruden, Zimmer, Austin all came from other teams.

I don't have the time to do the research, but I have noticed that many times when a team loses a coordinator but keeps the same head coach it is not uncommon to promote from within.  Especially if the coordinator was succesful and left for a HC job.
Reply/Quote