Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government overrules will of the voters.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/19/474805391/u-k-science-minister-torpedoes-boaty-mcboatface-as-ship-name

Appearing to drown all hope that the U.K.'s new $300 million research vessel will be named "Boaty McBoatface," Science Minister Jo Johnson says the ship needs a more "suitable" name.

Although Boaty McBoatface decisively won a public poll that Britain's Natural Environment Research Council launched last month to whip up enthusiasm about science, Johnson told BBC Radio 5 Live on Monday that "there is a process now for us to review all of the public's choices. Many of them were imaginative; some were more suitable than others."

According to The Guardian, Boaty McBoatface "received 124,109 votes, four times more than RRS Poppy-Mai — named after a 16-month-old girl with incurable cancer — which came in second place."

But Johnson was firm, saying, "I think we were clear when launching the competition that we were looking for a name that would be in keeping with the mission."

We can not let this tyranny stand!!!

[Image: Boaty-McBoatface-.jpg]
Reply/Quote
And that's why the general public hates science. It's no fun. People will hear the launch of the Poppy Mai and go back to watching videos of cats or guys getting hit in the nuts. But if they'd heard "And today, the Queen christened the RRS Boaty McBoatface," they'd stop what they were doing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Doesn't matter what it is christened as... the public will call it Boaty McBoatface.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Hey Dad, I get to serve on the Boaty McBoatface!

That's great son, I got saved by PT 109..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 09:25 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Doesn't matter what it is christened as... the public will call it Boaty McBoatface.

Yes, but ironically, not to its mcboatface.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
And you wonder why our forefathers revolted.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote