Poll: Based Strictly ON Talent/Need, What's Your Grade So Far?
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
MILLEN TRUBISKY
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Draft (PURELY ON TALENT/NEED)
(04-29-2017, 12:46 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Great take. I agree with basically all of it.

I enjoy Walter as a read, regardless of actual accuracy. I love how incredulous he gets. And, yeah, the Millen Trubisky combo grade had me losing it with laughter.

PS: Mixon ran a 4.4  Smack  <-------- Too soon?

He ran a 4.45. You round up, ya tool bag cool dude.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:49 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Somebody salty gave them a D.

They got 3 first round talent guys! 3 for 3! A D? Salt city!

No way was the DE they drafted in the 3rd Round a 1st Round talent.

IF Mixon didn't have all the issues...he would have likely been a 1st Rounder.

Some teams actually took Ross and Mixon off of their draft boards completely though too.

Time will tell.

Mixon is a great receiving back which should really help the offense.
Reply/Quote
A- overall

Literally the only thing that concerns me is John Ross' injury history and how durable he'll be in the AFCN. Still, if he can stay healthy he will provide a dynamic on offense that we haven't had in a while. And Mixon and Willis have the potential to be steals.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I am with you Pdub. A+

Ross was my favorite WR, Mixon was arguably the best RB in this draft, definately has the best vision, Willis was my favorite all around DE.

All at positions of need. Trading down and getting an extra 4th pushed it over the top all the while getting Mixon and Willis.

Set our selves up perfect for improving the OL and DL and adding a TE, Kicker and even QB if we want.

Masterful.
Reply/Quote
I give it an A, so far. If we can fill some needs today, then that will go to an A+. With Ross, Mixon, and Willis, this has a very good chance to be one of those once in a decade drafts that can put this team over the top.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:11 AM)PDub80 Wrote: What grade would you give the Bengals draft so far, based purely on talent and/or need/impact? And, feel free to elaborate as to why.

If you can, please leave the Mixon character concerns out of it. For the purpose of this, we'll let 3 years ago be 3 years ago and assume that Joe Mixon will go the path of Carlos Dunlap and not Adam Jones.

I would have to grade it out as an A+  WhoDey2

Why?

JOHN ROSS

While I wasn't wanting Ross (he wasn't my 1st choice at WR, frankly) I 100% get the reasoning behind it. He brings special traits that nobody else in this draft has and things that nobody else on the Bengals has. Not only that, but the other two top receivers in this draft were gone by the time the Bengals selected at #9.

In the worst of ways, the Bengals needed what Ross does best. And they got it without maneuvering. Dave Lapham loved the pick - which always brings me on board. It wasn't a reach. Ross is a highly graded player, more unique than anyone in this entire draft, and at a position of need.

While people bring up his injury concerns, I have to go ahead and parrot what has been pointed out in a lot of articles... He ran that fast AFTER his knee injuries. AFTER. The shoulder injury occurred in game 5 of 2016. He didn't miss any significant time and played the rest of the 2016 season WITH the shoulder injury. WITH it?! Tough kid. Makes plays. And is more than just fast. Perfect pick. A+

JOE MIXON

Based purely on talent I think Joe Mixon is the best RB in the entire draft. Especially for the Bengals. Period.

In fact, I think he's arguably the best all around talent in the draft. Every box is emphatically checked.

3 Down bell-cow? YES
Versatile? YES
Home run threat from anywhere on the field? YES
Make you miss? YES
Power to break tackles and run people over? YES
Short yardage? YES
Blocking? YES
Receiving out of the backfield or split out wide? YES
Size? YES
Speed? YES

^ The Above YES'S are not just ho-hum, but he does these things outstandingly well and against big time competition. He killed Ohio State every time he touched the ball, for example.

The kid even returns kicks.... REALLY WELL.

With the exception of RT, RB was the weakest link in the offense last season. This fills a big time need and with big time talent. Based purely on talent, if the Bengals would have taken him at #9 I would have been thrilled. I think he's better than Fournette.

Oh, and for the cherry on top, the Bengals grabbed another 4th rounder - pick #128 - AND Mixon. A+

JORDAN WILLIS

LOVE this pick! Not the typical Bengals DE in terms of height, but fits in a lot of ways. Similar body type to Carlos Dunlap, but about 2" shorter. Fast, quick, athletic, explosive, high motor, and consistent. No question he's 1st round talent. A lot of mock drafts had this kid going in the back half of the first round (an NFL.com mock had the Steelers taking him) and I don't think I saw a single one where Willis was falling out of the 2nd.

- Produced and got better each season he was at KSU. Versatile player and was one of my wishes for an after round 1 DE. If they took Willis in the 2nd I think that would have been good value. In the 3rd? Awesome value.

People not knowing who this guy is will love what they find when researching. The Bengals have said they view him strictly as a DE in their scheme, but NFL.com's Draft Tracker has him with the LBs. He has the exact same grade, but with better measurables, than the Steelers 1st rounder, TJ Watt.

Among DEs, he would have be the 7th highest rated DE, but misses being the #4 prospect at that spot by about .5 points. IMO, if they can get about 20-30 more lbs on this kid he will start tearing it up at the NFL level. Willis is about 2" shorter and 20lbs lighter than Dunlap coming out of college.

With his size and speed, I can see Willis covering TE's off the line similar to what Adalius Thomas did for the Ravens. Willis is THAT athletic and fast. Relentless pursuer.

Another A+ pick.

At this point, I don't know how else to grade the Bengals draft from an impact or talent standpoint than an A+. The way the draft fell, there's not one player they could have taken in their spot that would have been better for them in terms of talent or need. Not 1. Add in grabbing an extra 4th rounder and wow... what a draft so far! Based just on talent, this already DESTROYS what happened in the 2016, 2015, and 2014 drafts.
I agree w/ all of your points....excellent assessment of the draft so far
I also graded this draft so far as an A+
I AM THRILLED.... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:43 AM)Okeana Wrote: One thing you missed on Mixon.  His vision is the best ive ever seen coming out of college.  If this guy stays injury free which he doesn't have a history of and keeps up with living a positive lifestyle he could be wearing a gold jacket and be the best RB to lace them up for the Bengals ever.  

I AGREE 100% that Mixon could/should become the BEST RB  the Bengals have EVER had...
he's a fast, patient BEAST

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 12:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This needs to stop!  I'm laughing so hard I'm going to stroke an organ!   Hilarious LMAO Hilarious LMAO

Whaaaatttttt? Shocked

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am with you Pdub. A+

Ross was my favorite WR, Mixon was arguably the best RB in this draft, definately has the best vision, Willis was my favorite all around DE.

All at positions of need. Trading down and getting an extra 4th pushed it over the top all the while getting Mixon and Willis.

Set our selves up perfect for improving the OL and DL and adding a TE, Kicker and even QB if we want.

Masterful.
Masterful indeed....
GREAT  job by our war room....
could this end up being one of the best drafts ever for the Bengals....?

I think Mixon will end up being the best RB this team has EVER had...
yes, better than Pete Johnson, James Brooks or Dillon....
not the THUMPER Johnson was but a lot quicker, not as quick as Brooks but stronger, breaks more tackles, & Mixon's a much better receiver out of the back field than Dillon & quicker feet....& Dillon left on a sour note....
& we still have 8 picks to go....WOW !!!   :andy:
Reply/Quote
In general, I'd give the use of a toolbox a D and the use of a toolbag a solid A. And I'm thinking the front office is filled with toolbag users because this draft has been a solid A - beyond any doubt.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way was the DE they drafted in the 3rd Round a 1st Round talent.

Some teams actually took Ross and Mixon off of their draft boards completely Ithough too.

Time will tell.

Willis absolutey was a first round graded pick. He has a higher grade than or equal to grade as several first round defenders. He has exactly the same grade as the Steelers 1st rounder, TJ Watt but with better measurables.

Quite a few respected mock drafts, including at least one from NFL.com had Willis going in the 1st round to the Steelers.

Walterfootball rated the pick an A+ noting that they had some teams taking Willis in yhe 1st and thought he would go no later than early 2nd.
Reply/Quote
On just talent alone, I have this draft as an A. I think the overall mix of talent we've accrued is very strong. The Ross pick imo was a reach at #9, but I said at the time, I will grow to love that pick dependent on what we do in the later rounds. I think it's been a very strong draft.
Reply/Quote
A draft like this makes me want to change my avatar
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:51 PM)Steve Wrote: Masterful indeed....
GREAT  job by our war room....
could this end up being one of the best drafts ever for the Bengals....?

I think Mixon will end up being the best RB this team has EVER had...
yes, better than Pete Johnson, James Brooks or Dillon....
not the THUMPER Johnson was but a lot quicker, not as quick as Brooks but stronger, breaks more tackles, & Mixon's a much better receiver out of the back field than Dillon & quicker feet....& Dillon left on a sour note....
& we still have 8 picks to go....WOW !!!   :andy:

With Mixon's vision, hands, balance, quick feet, burst and stiff arm you could be correct. Dude has it all.

Plus love the Lawson, Malone and Glasgow picks. We are menacing now on the D-line and have weapons galore.

I know we all wanted a Center but we could still get one late to compete, not a great draft for OL.

Value picks everytime. Don't know anything about the Kicker though as i rarely study up on kickers lol
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whaaaatttttt? Shocked

I don't know where "stroke" came from, but I should be banned from posting without my glasses on...

I meant to say "split an organ", ya know, from laughing so hard...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Willis absolutey was a first round graded pick. He has a higher grade than or equal to grade as several first round defenders. He has exactly the same grade as the Steelers 1st rounder, TJ Watt but with better measurables.

Quite a few respected mock drafts, including at least one from NFL.com had Willis going in the 1st round to the Steelers.

Walterfootball rated the pick an A+ noting that they had some teams taking Willis in yhe 1st and thought he would go no later than early 2nd.

For sure, Willis can do it all, rush from the outside, the inside, swim moves, spin moves and has violent hands.

He is better than Barnett all the way around IMHO. Much better run stopper with better size and physicality.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way was the DE they drafted in the 3rd Round a 1st Round talent.

Some teams actually took Ross and Mixon off of their draft boards completely though too.

Time will tell.

Well, he is actually bigger, stronger, and faster than the #1 overall pick in the draft.  Oddly, people that supposedly "scout" these players said that his game tape didn't show the ridiculous 4.53 he ran at the combine. 

I pointed out in my thread on him about a month ago how as a LDE in college (he did play very little on the right and some in the middle, but over 90% was LDE) he was responsible to read the back first on almost every read-option team he faced (a lot of the big 12) before he could rush.  He was just being assignment sound. 

What I loved about him was when it was 3rd and 10 with no back in the backfield, he was an absolute wrecking ball. 

His coach also referred to him as "the epitome of their program". 

I think he can play either side and create pressure.  It would be nice for Lawson to rush from the right side and for Willis to give Dunlap some breaks on the left from time to time.  He would have likely had even more stats rushing from the blind side.  His strength in the weight room is ridiculous. 

I can't wait to see him and Lawson rotating in from the outsides.  Competition, speed from the edge...something we haven't had at all from the RDE side for some time. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, he is actually bigger, stronger, and faster than the #1 overall pick in the draft.  Oddly, people that supposedly "scout" these players said that his game tape didn't show the ridiculous 4.53 he ran at the combine. 

I pointed out in my thread on him about a month ago how as a LDE in college (he did play very little on the right and some in the middle, but over 90% was LDE) he was responsible to read the back first on almost every read-option team he faced (a lot of the big 12) before he could rush.  He was just being assignment sound. 

What I loved about him was when it was 3rd and 10 with no back in the backfield, he was an absolute wrecking ball. 

His coach also referred to him as "the epitome of their program". 

I think he can play either side and create pressure.  It would be nice for Lawson to rush from the right side and for Willis to give Dunlap some breaks on the left from time to time.  He would have likely had even more stats rushing from the blind side.  His strength in the weight room is ridiculous. 

I can't wait to see him and Lawson rotating in from the outsides.  Competition, speed from the edge...something we haven't had at all from the RDE side for some time. 

The physicality these two bring is intimidating. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't know where "stroke" came from, but I should be banned from posting without my glasses on...

I meant to say "split an organ", ya know, from laughing so hard...

Go Bengals!

Reply/Quote