B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Grade The Draft
Iosivas has been paired with Tee for mentoring - they seem to be doing mentor partnerships with vet players in addition to the usual coaching.

Between Iosivas and Brown the WR room got a big injection of depth that can legitimately fill in for the starters. Obviously raw right now and need polish and development but hopefully what they bring is that if Tee or Jamarr go out again we don't have to use a different playbook. Or if like in the AFCCG Boyd goes out that the opposing D can't just double both Tee and Jamarr.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 03:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: Iosivas has been paired with Tee for mentoring - they seem to be doing mentor partnerships with vet players in addition to the usual coaching.

Between Iosivas and Brown the WR room got a big injection of depth that can legitimately fill in for the starters. Obviously raw right now and need polish and development but hopefully what they bring is that if Tee or Jamarr go out again we don't have to use a different playbook. Or if like in the AFCCG Boyd goes out that the opposing D can't just double both Tee and Jamarr.

Brown? You mean Jones?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 04:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Brown? You mean Jones?

Yes Jones.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 04:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Brown? You mean Jones?

(05-17-2023, 07:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes Jones.

You talking Chuck sizzle?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 12:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: After looking and discovering on our picks did you get more excited?

Iosivas after their first up close look definitely is a project. His technique on catching passes definitely needs refinement. I’m not suggesting there’s any buyers remorse on the contrary. He just needs a lot of refinement and if he wants to make it in the league his road has just begun.

Not really. Maybe a little on some guys.  I was super high on Jones & Iosivas from the jump. And the idea of double dipping at WR. And I really liked the Chase Brown pick, despite the fumbles. Though I did find out he had better elusiveness than I thought. 

I knew the 1st was gonna be Mayer/Murphy/Porter in real time. Did not realize Myles was a team Captain.

I did like the Turner pick a bit more after some digging. I was worried he was a workout warrior type initially, but held up well in coverage despite not hetting a ton of picks/break ups. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 12:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Just a couple more: 

1. These guys have great athletic profiles, but also were productive players and leaders. 
2. Miles Murphy was 2nd in the ACC in sacks and had 11 TFL. He doesn't just hunt sacks. Team captain. 
3. DJ Turner RAS of 9.58. Fastest 40. But also allowed a passer rating og 68.3 in 2022 and 54.8 in 2021. He can play. 
4. Jordan Battle was a team captain. 
5. Charlie Jones RAS of 8.54, with the negative being his size. 
6. Charlie Jones led the nation with 110 receptions and setting the school record at Purdue. Was 2nd in yards with 1,361. And 5th in TDs with 12. AP 2nd Team all-American. Big Ten Special Teams player of the year (Reggie Toby award) in 2021 at Iowa. QB rating of 119.0 when targeted. Excelled vs PSU & Michigan. 
7. Chase Brown was 4th in the nation in rushing yards (1,643) and 3rd in rushing yards per game (136.9). Second in nation in forced missed tackles (83). Amazing personal story. 
8. Andrei Iosivas RAS of 9.96. 
9. Iosivas also a team Captain. Led Ivy League in catches, yards, and TDs. 
10. Brad Robbins. Great hangtime. Zero touchbacks last year. 

Production, ability, smarts, character, culture fits. 

Boom, nice breakdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 05:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You talking Chuck sizzle?

I like that nickname lol
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 12:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not really. Maybe a little on some guys.  I was super high on Jones & Iosivas from the jump. And the idea of double dipping at WR. And I really liked the Chase Brown pick, despite the fumbles. Though I did find out he had better elusiveness than I thought. 

I knew the 1st was gonna be Mayer/Murphy/Porter in real time. Did not realize Myles was a team Captain.

I did like the Turner pick a bit more after some digging. I was worried he was a workout warrior type initially, but held up well in coverage despite not hetting a ton of picks/break ups. 

They said it was between him and Nolan Smith. I’m pretty sure they were trading down if either weren’t there. What did they say? A bunch of teams wanted their pick? Probably were contingent on Murphy being there though. He was a steal. Boy they really weren’t interested in Mayer. Kinda intriguing and surprising. We get the Washington slide but still…. he went just before Battle at 93 but reports were they were absolutely all in with Battle. They were taking him. They are sure banking on Irv Smith’s health.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 12:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not really. Maybe a little on some guys.  I was super high on Jones & Iosivas from the jump. And the idea of double dipping at WR. And I really liked the Chase Brown pick, despite the fumbles. Though I did find out he had better elusiveness than I thought. 

The Bengals were reportedly not that high on Mayer and Porter wasn't a scheme fit at all(pure press man CB that struggles in zone).  
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 12:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not really. Maybe a little on some guys.  I was super high on Jones & Iosivas from the jump. And the idea of double dipping at WR. And I really liked the Chase Brown pick, despite the fumbles. Though I did find out he had better elusiveness than I thought. 

Iosivas I hear is a huge project. Not a perfect comparison but Nikola Jokic was not refined either. It took awhile. Iosivas was picked to go in the third round by NFL Draftbuzz. But looking back at this draft and my original question. Are you more fired up than you were initially? I mean Murphy was a legitimate steal at 29. Everybody agrees. D J Turner was not a steal like several but he was solid. But Battle was projected earlier and Brown. Charlie Jones was not a reach nor a steal. But being named the first team returner by the Big 10 coaches is big and 13 catches vs Mich in the Big 10 Title game as well. One thing I’ve gathered ( and I’m certain not exclusive to the Bengals) is how much they value competition against bonafide teams and their individual matchups against good players. They zero in on matchups versus tough competition and devalue it when it’s not.

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
As time goes by, I am becoming an even bigger fan of this draft. I love the guys we took, and love that we passed on the guys we did.

Not to put too blunt a point on it, but here goes. Delighted we didn’t pick up a gimp in the third round who was going to pay dividends in year 3 at best. Totally on board with trading down and picking up our punter for years to come in the process. We could have the best kicker at each position in the league.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I'm just super glad we didn't pick up a deficient TE or a backup OT in the first round.
Reply/Quote
A Coach's Son, Bengals Rookie Safety Jordan Battle Arrives Well-Schooled

Geoff Hobson: They met for the first time like so many of them do, shoved into a Lucas Oil Stadium suite during those 18 bizarre minutes in Indianapolis that the NFL scouting combine sets aside for teams to interview prospects.
When this prospect met with the Bengals staff, safeties coach Robert Livingston was charged with running the group through a series of cutups showcasing The Coach's Son. Livingston got to maybe the third snap, a complex play replete with shifts and sounds when Livingston heard a guy who sounded more Coach than Son. The Coach's Son rattled off the minutest of the play's details complete with a breakdown of the responsibilities of the front.
"I kind of felt like he snuck in there and watched it already," recalls Livingston. "It was clear this guy knew ball. I looked around at everybody else and I'm thinking, 'OK. I think we're probably good here, bud. So tell us about how you are. What about you?"
So they found out Alabama safety Jordan Battle is a Coach's Son. He's the son of Theresa Battle, too, but it was Fred Battle, a former pro and long-time Miami-area high school basketball coach who had him for about eight years on the AAU basketball team he ran and says, "If I had 15 Jordan Battles, I wouldn't lose a game because they do it just the way you want them to do it and when you told him to do it he would try to be the best he could be doing it. He's always had that."
The Coach's Son certainly had it for 18 minutes in Indy.
"When he walked out of the room, I think everyone felt the same way," Livingston says. "He's different, he understands the game."
The Bengals understood exactly what they were getting in the third round of last month's draft. Here's a heavily recruited blue-chipper from the football hotbed of Miami who was in the middle of 52 games for Nick Saban's pro-ready defense and knows what time it is. As Livingston says, Battle already knows what it's like to walk into a room where a bunch of five-star guys already sit.

"He's big. He's got a big frame for a safety," says Nick Scott, a Super Bowl champ and one of the vets in front of him. "But he can still move. Athletic. And he's smart. He's picking things up so far. We're excited. I think he's a guy that can contribute all the way. He can help us whether it be on teams or defense. He's a smart player. Everybody has seen his tape at Alabama. He's playing against the best in college football. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders."
Do you want to know about Jordan Battle? That's where you start.
"I pride myself on being a student of the game. I try to be a coach out there on the field," Battle says. "Help out any way I can. I probably get that from being a coach's son for sure. That definitely has a lot to do with it."
Battle knows why Fred says he'd be unbeaten with 15 of him.
"I love defense," Jordan Battle says. "I'd get most of my points off steals and layups and running in transition. That was the main part of my game. If you have that on your team, you're going to be unstoppable, especially when you can press all game."
Fred Battle admits it hurt a little bit when it came time to call the college shot and both sons opted for football instead of basketball. Jaylen Battle, the oldest by five-and-a-half years, went to Illinois State as a safety. When Fred got out of tiny Florida Memorial University in Miami Gardens, he went pro and played eight years in Greece, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic. He loved playing for Cypress because the city's tropical beauty reminded him of Miami and there was a mutual love affair with the Venezuelan people he cherishes. They loved all things American like hats and shirts and sneakers. Those were the days he'd leave for the season with two suitcases and come back with none.
"He didn't talk about it much," Jordan Battle says of his dad's career. "One time he did show me a newspaper where he set something like the season scoring average record."

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 04:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: On Charlie Jones…NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah said it was his favorite selection of Cincinnati's eight picks.

"He's got big-time, big-time juice," Jeremiah said on the Move the Sticks podcast. "Every year there's a guy like this where you're watching other players and this guy pops. And you're watching these other corners, I'm like 'dang, Charlie Jones is running by all these Big Ten corners.' He was someone I thought was pretty interesting. In the fourth round at pick 131? I like that value."

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/6/13/23708655/bengals-film-room-charlie-jones-will-keep-opponents-up-at-night

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 09:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/6/13/23708655/bengals-film-room-charlie-jones-will-keep-opponents-up-at-night

Iosivas gets a ton of love, but Jones is an intriguing prospect in his own right.  He's got good versatility, with the quicks to play bin the slot, but enough size and straight line speed to threaten outside.  I'm impressed with his route running, especially given he's been under three different staffs and he's obviously shown the ability to pick up an offense quickly.  I think he will be a better fit in this offense than Boyd once he develops due to his YAC ability and ability bto keep S's honest when Chase moves into the slot and he has to kick outside.  He's a bit of a poor man's Ja'marr Chase, and I can see him sliding into that role a bit to give Chase a breather from time to time.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 02:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: Iosivas gets a ton of love, but Jones is an intriguing prospect in his own right.  He's got good versatility, with the quicks to play bin the slot, but enough size and straight line speed to threaten outside.  I'm impressed with his route running, especially given he's been under three different staffs and he's obviously shown the ability to pick up an offense quickly.  I think he will be a better fit in this offense than Boyd once he develops due to his YAC ability and ability bto keep S's honest when Chase moves into the slot and he has to kick outside.  He's a bit of a poor man's Ja'marr Chase, and I can see him sliding into that role a bit to give Chase a breather from time to time.

Solid take

Reply/Quote
Locked On Bengals had Charlie Goldsmith on and he gave his impressions of the rookies.

He & Rapien both said Yoshi was way further along than they expected. They both thought he was going to be a "few years down the road" guy, but that he was getting open in 7 on 7s and catching stuff from Burrow against the Bemgals D. Said he looked like he fit right in.
Reply/Quote
Got faster

Got young DBs who all have a chance to be really really good. DJ Ivey may actually make the final 53. We are hearing good things about him. Found a RB that can double as a spell for Mixon and a bell cow next year. Found 2 WRs for Boyd’s departure. Only thing we didn’t find was TE and i have begun to like the Murphy pick less and less and my paranoia there won’t be cured until i see him play in preseason. I hate the idea of taking a project pass rusher with our 1st round pick but i have heard he’s already league average at defending the run so that’ll get him on the field
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 12:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Locked On Bengals had Charlie Goldsmith on and he gave his impressions of the rookies.

He & Rapien both said Yoshi was way further along than they expected. They both thought he was going to be a "few years down the road" guy, but that he was getting open in 7 on 7s and catching stuff from Burrow against the Bemgals D. Said he looked like he fit right in.

Crazy how these small school guys go unnoticed until they aren’t anymore. If Yoshi went to USC or Ohio State he would’ve been drafted sooner. Some guys get to the NFL and the game isn’t that fast to them. I felt like Chris Perry and Chris Henry were good examples of that. Both seemed to fit right in their rookie years
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 03:32 PM)Housh Wrote: Got faster

Got young DBs who all have a chance to be really really good. DJ Ivey may actually make the final 53. We are hearing good things about him. Found a RB that can double as a spell for Mixon and a bell cow next year. Found 2 WRs for Boyd’s departure. Only thing we didn’t find was TE and i have begun to like the Murphy pick less and less and my paranoia there won’t be cured until i see him play in preseason. I hate the idea of taking a project pass rusher with our 1st round pick but i have heard he’s already league average at defending the run so that’ll get him on the field

Faster & more athletic Murphy & Iosivas ridiculous

Reply/Quote