Poll: Grade the Signing
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-11-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Mike Gesicki Signing
M.G in Hudson out? How do you grade the signing?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think it's a good solid signing A-
Reply/Quote
Solid B
Reply/Quote
C another one year deal with a hopeful rebirth... hopefully long term deal will be with a drafted tight end 2/3 round this year
Reply/Quote
Moss and Stone did nothing to move the needle for me, but this one does. But I gotta see the contract before I grade.

EDIT: Seen it's 1-Year @ $3.5 MIL. A.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Moss and Stone did nothing to move the needle for me, but this one does. But I gotta see the contract before I grade.

EDIT: Seen it's 1-Year @ $3.5 MIL. A.

Yeah...I mean we're signing some 3rd Tier guys. Maybe fringe bottom of Tier 2 guys.
Reply/Quote
I give it another B.

This is a good move. Good value dollar-wise.

I'm tired of the injury-plagued TEs. Gesicki comes in as a very durable TE that can catch and will be a definite red zone target.

With losing Higgins there is a need for a tall red zone threat. I could see adding another one at some point too (TE or WR).

Still work to do at tight end. Gesicki isn't much of a blocker; Bengals need another tight end that is balanced.

Overall the first three outside FAs don't wow me in any regard. But they all seem like good value and fill a role/need well. All three definitley have boom potential, with a middle-ground floor.

Gesicki can't run block and Stone isn't good against the run. If this weren't the case these two signings would definitely be A's in my book.
Reply/Quote
C

I’m getting pretty tired of these 1 year TE deals. But they had to sign someone at this point. We’ll see if he can get back to what he did in MIA.

Reply/Quote
Like having a tall, receiving target for Burrow. Wish we could get a complete TE who could block better, and more than a one-year rental, but still this signing adds clear value to the offense this year. Cost over 10 million his final year in Miami, so a value signing for around 3 million. Grade: B
Reply/Quote
For the cost, I had to go A.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For the cost an A, but I gave it a B cause i'd rather have signed him for more than 1 year
Reply/Quote
I like it, gave it an A. Replacement for Irv Smith. May still bring back Hudson. Opens up draft to focus more on best available especially at OT and DT in early rounds. Possible long term TE in 3rd or fourth.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: C

I’m getting pretty tired of these 1 year TE deals. But they had to sign someone at this point. We’ll see if he can get back to what he did in MIA.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of spending big on a TE in free agency. This would eat up too much cap space and wouldn't move the needle much as far as improving the team. We can't afford a big money multi-year deal for a TE when paying Burrow and Chase. 

Sample was a good dollar amount and moves the needle further because he can be utilized on every down as a pass blocker and run blocker. 

If we are looking at a pass catching TE that can't run block, I'd prefer one year rentals or draft picks on these types of players. We simply can't utilize them on every down. I'd much rather spend the money on a dlineman or olineman.

I'm good with the one year rentals for pass catching TEs that are under-valued by the market. Ideally we draft a really good tight end at some point that can be utilized for multiple years, but that player has to be there when we are picking and we can't have a much bigger need to fill with a similarly valued player filling that need when we pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:42 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: I like it, gave it an A.  Replacement for Irv Smith. May still bring back Hudson. Opens up draft to focus more on best available especially at OT and DT in early rounds. Possible long term TE in 3rd or fourth.

do you mean Hurst?
Reply/Quote
I gave it a B as I would of rather had Gesicki on a longer deal. Like Nicomo said, don't like these 1 year deals as much anymore.

But as far as the player, Gesicki is an upgrade as a pass catcher for us no question.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Honestly, I don't like the idea of spending big on a TE in free agency. This would eat up too much cap space and wouldn't move the needle much as far as improving the team. We can't afford a big money multi-year deal for a TE when paying Burrow and Chase. 

Sample was a good dollar amount and moves the needle further because he can be utilized on every down as a pass blocker and run blocker. 

If we are looking at a pass catching TE that can't run block, I'd prefer one year rentals or draft picks on these types of players. We simply can't utilize them on every down. I'd much rather spend the money on a dlineman or olineman.

I'm good with the one year rentals for pass catching TEs that are under-valued by the market. Ideally we draft a really good tight end at some point that can be utilized for multiple years, but that player has to be there when we are picking and we can't have a much bigger need to fill with a similarly valued player filling that need when we pick.
Well the organization mentioned locking in to larger term so this does not address that hoping we draft a TE 3rd round to be that long term fix.. or could be in same boat next year.. also a good tight end would be maybe 3 year 36 million, we can afford that but not much on the market so understood
Reply/Quote
I really like some of the TE's that should be around in the 3rd and 4th round for the future in Ben Sinnott, Theo Johnson and Cade
Stover which makes me feel better if we select one of these guys to learn behind Gesicki and Sample.
Reply/Quote
Still only have 2 TEs on the roster. Considering we run 2 TE sets there will be more. I expect 1 in the draft/UDFA and another UFA signing, probably after the draft.
Reply/Quote
Due to risk (contract 3.5 million), I give this an A
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I gave it a B because he can't be considered an A player after being stuck in the offensive drudgery that was the 2023 NE Patriots. I cannot ascertain this player in 2024 based off of 2023 because the NE Offense was hot garbage.

He is more of a big slot receiver than an actual TE. Over the course of his career he played in-line like a TE very few % of his snaps.

^ This at least makes it interesting because it's different.

This opens the door, however, for the Bengals taking a TE with one of their 3rd or 4th rd picks & allowing him to develop behind a great blocker (Sample) & a great receiver (Geiko - notngoing to bother spelling it)
Reply/Quote