Poll: Your Grade
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-10-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Stone Signing
Folks around here should know I'm one of the most optimistic posters in the forum, but this one doesn't really move the needle for me. Ima give it a C+

WTS, good work by the FO for signing a player that most folks that get paid to do this stuff for a living seem to really like.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks around here should know I'm one of the most optimistic posters in the forum, but this one doesn't really move the needle for me. Ima give it a C+

WTS, good work by the FO for signing a player that most folks that get paid to do this stuff for a living seem to really like.

I was a low B. I think it’s a low risk high reward play. You still have Hill and ideally this gives you flexibility to see how camp shakes out and get your two best safeties out there. Depending who they are you can go with some unique formations to potentially get all 3 on field. The thing I do like about Stone is he played in a complex defense. It means he’s smart and can handle the backend communication which we know is an issue.

We will see. This could be Trey Hendrickson or could be Nick Scott.
Reply/Quote
I'd honestly never heard of him til today. So I'm gonna give it a C as in "couldn't pick him outta a crowd".

All in all I didn't see safety as a pressing need, but whatever.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This guy had 7 ints last season and it’s not a good signing?

Sounds like exactly what we need in a free safety.

ESPN guy gave it a grade of A +
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: I was a low B. I think it’s a low risk high reward play. You still have Hill and ideally this gives you flexibility to see how camp shakes out and get your two best safeties out there. Depending who they are you can go with some unique formations to potentially get all 3 on field. The thing I do like about Stone is he played in a complex defense. It means he’s smart and can handle the backend communication which we know is an issue.

Oh. I absolutely applaud the FO for making the pick and as I said folks who do this for a living love it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I gave it a B. Seems like a good number on the deal. Seems like an ascending player. But lots of unkowns with him.

This is what I do know:

The Ravens D was stacked last year. Very elite defense. They got great pressure up front and it made things easier on the back end.

Stone had great PFF pass numbers and led all safeties with 7 INTs.

Stone had terrible PFF numbers against the run.

I trust Lou and co. a lot in evaluating talent. They have a strong track record. Vonn Bell was a great example of a homerun signing.

Nick Scott sucked last year, so you never know.

Bottom line. I think this could be a really good signing. But I think it's possible that Stone isn't very good against the run. Vonn Bell was a great signing on both accounts (pass D and run D). I would prefer someone good at both. Hoping Stone can show that he's good at both because the teams we play against run the ball very well and do it a lot.

Maybe he's used deeper in coverage and utilized to his strengths. I like Battle a lot for a Vonn Bell type role. Dax I think will only get better. Maybe the three of them together make a great trio. I also like what I've seen from Anderson in pre-season--but he needs to stay healthy.

Overall, this signing doesn't make this a great FA period. Signing someone like Mike Onewu would really set us up well though. If we can get a great starter at RT it will really open up the draft for us. A great DT would help as well, but there are a lot of options in the 1st/2nd round at DT. As far as offensive line, we all know the struggles in the draft, so adding someone at RT in FA would be huge and help us more than any other signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: I was a low B. I think it’s a low risk high reward play. You still have Hill and ideally this gives you flexibility to see how camp shakes out and get your two best safeties out there. Depending who they are you can go with some unique formations to potentially get all 3 on field. The thing I do like about Stone is he played in a complex defense. It means he’s smart and can handle the backend communication which we know is an issue.

I agree, this last year was Geno Stone's first really good season. Hope he turns into another Trey pickup for us.

One thing though, Nick Scott never had 7 interceptions in a season before. At least not in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of feels like they should have just offered Bell a better deal last offseason.

$4.4m cap hit for Nick Scott between 2023 and the 2024 dead cap hit and 2yr/$15m for Stone. Ends up being 3yr/$19.4m.

- - - - - -

I hope Stone does well. Good coverage numbers but bad run defense numbers makes me a little worried, but he's still young and hopefully still improving with some more playing time.

Worries me a bit that they must really be out on Dax as a safety. So I don't know if that's a wasted first round pick.

Bell is SS. Stone is FS. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I give it a solid B.  Helps strengthen a weakness, didn't have to overpay, one less position to be concerned with in the draft.  Well done.

This for me as well, should be able to provide some good communication back there. 
Reply/Quote
Now trade Tee and use the money to resign reader and another solid DT.
Reply/Quote
As the Ravens say. "Geno might be the best seventh-round pick that we've ever had -- playmaker, attitude, special teams,"

Wow, best 7th round pick. The Bengals just put a lot of money down on a "let's see" player.

Oh well, I guess we will all "let's see."
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:37 PM)Nepa Wrote: The poor run defense and missed tackle opportunities (19%) were too concerning to give this better than a C (I've see PFF ratings of 33 and 42 listed for run defense). Although I love his coverage skills. If he did this good pass defense for more than one year, and if I hear he has good communication skills on the field, than I would rate it higher than average.*

* Edit: I'm in the older generation where C is considered average. With all the grade inflation, I suppose average is now considered B.

Geno has good communication skills, it's on display to our couches (and coaches too) 2x per year. I know they liked him because of that.
Reply/Quote
x

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Gave it an A. I remember when that Browns LB Joe Schobert got a huge deal the year after he had 4–5 interceptions. Really surprised we got Geno for what we did.

Area of need, good value, weakened a division rival, and he is young.
Reply/Quote
B. Solid pick if it addresses communication and alignment. Clearly not an all-around great player, but a good complementary piece. Not the end of the world if he's a bust.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 07:28 PM)jason Wrote: I'd honestly never heard of him til today. So I'm gonna give it a C as in "couldn't pick him outta a crowd".

All in all I didn't see safety as a pressing need, but whatever.

Don’t see how it wasn’t. Dax has been terrible, and based off Lou’s comments they didn’t sound at all comfortable leaving him at FS.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t see how it wasn’t. Dax has been terrible, and based off Lou’s comments they didn’t sound at all comfortable leaving him at FS.

I guess... I mean he started the season pretty strong. It was his first year as starter with any real playing time. I'm willing to give a guy more time than that to get it right. I'm sure they have a plan though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t see how it wasn’t. Dax has been terrible, and based off Lou’s comments they didn’t sound at all comfortable leaving him at FS.

I wouldn't say terrible, but it was too much putting so much on Dax's shoulders clearly. He played well at SS earlier in the year, but he
clearly was not comfortable being the Free. Dax plays so much better in the Slot and I think that is where we should give him snaps 
while preparing for Hilton's departure after this year. Dax can still get tons of snaps and make plays and not be a terrible pick like some
have called him.

Slot Corner is a starting position in today's NFL.

Slot Corner, nickle and WILL LB could all be in play for Dax and could improve the Defense a ton in doing so. No more Pratt as a 
3-down Linebacker as well.
Reply/Quote
Not sure how, but I have no freakin clue who this dude is. Guess I’ll vote after some digging.
Reply/Quote
This contract changes my C to a C+ lol. It really is a good contract easy out after 2024.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote