Poll: Your Grade
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-10-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Stone Signing
I give it a solid B. He has a lot to like, and is still only 25 years old. This should allow Lou to call more single high and Dax to play rover safety / NCB this year (his strengths) and prepare for the possible departure (and regression?) of Mike Hilton by 2025.

This kid has earned every bit of this contract and opportunity. A 7th round pick, cut twice and relegated to ST until last year where, due to injury, finally got his shot and ran with it.
Reply/Quote
Well espn loves it
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/3/11/24097948/nfl-free-agency-grades-bengals-geno-stone-ravens-steal
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When grading are we talking about the overall transaction?

I give the player himself a B- and the value an A+
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well espn loves it
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/3/11/24097948/nfl-free-agency-grades-bengals-geno-stone-ravens-steal

That was a good read. Although I'm not sure with their assessment that this was "their defense's biggest need." A need, certainly. But I'm concerned about DT with Reader in free agency and injured.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 10:01 PM)Nepa Wrote: That was a good read. Although I'm not sure with their assessment that this was "their defense's biggest need." A need, certainly. But I'm concerned about DT with Reader in free agency and injured.

We had issues at safety at times.

We need a cb too.
Reply/Quote
I gave it a B. Don't really know a lot about him, but the missed tackles is a little alarming. The high number of ints is great though.
Reply/Quote
We like Geno’s around here.

This defense is also super reliant on turnovers, so I’m sure those INT’s were a big factor. Even if they’re unpredictable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The way I see it, if Battle is your Strong, he plays down in the box more often than not, . I imagine Dax will now too, in packages that feature him. Mike Hilton also plays close to the LoS being the starting NCB. What we needed was a rangy guy who can play single high and communicate well. So while the missed tackle numbers may be alarming, maybe Lou doesn't rotate safeties as much this year, giving Battle more opportunities at what he's good at (tackling and mid range coverage) and minimizing what Stone is weakest at, using him WAY more as THE coverage guy?

Side-thought...I hope Dax isn't disappointed with this signing. He can still get his snaps and I feel like he will be way more comfortable in a NCB / roaming safety role and much more effective!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 09:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I give it a solid B. He has a lot to like, and is still only 25 years old. This should allow Lou to call more single high and Dax to play rover safety / NCB this year (his strengths) and prepare for the possible departure (and regression?) of Mike Hilton by 2025.

This kid has earned every bit of this contract and opportunity. A 7th round pick, cut twice and relegated to ST until last year where, due to injury, finally got his shot and ran with it.

Geez that last paragraph scares me. Congrats to the kid, parlayed a once in a lifetime opportunity into a solid contract. A completed regression to PS player isn’t out of the question though. He shined in a defense where he had a defined role and everybody else excelled at their position around him. Not sure he has the physical tools to do more or make up for blown assignments which riddled this defense last year.
Reply/Quote
- B+: On the surface. Stone is 24 and everything points to him being an up & coming player with his prime ahead of him. Comes out of an outstanding Defensive unit. You don't luck your way into 2nd in the league in INTs & being THAT high a PFF grade.

- A+: If Stone pairs w Battle & they can then get Dax into more of a defensive weapon role & out of the traditional every down S.

On paper Stone & Battle give the Bengals a killer S duo. Dax Hill will have to move to NCB, his best position, to be honest.

- F: That's a ton of cash to throw into a rotational S piece that isn't going to start or play majority of snaps.

This HAS to be a move to get Dax into a Nickel/CB hybrid role. HAS to be, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:06 AM)PDub80 Wrote: - B+: On the surface. Stone is 24 and everything points to him being an up & coming player with his prime ahead of him. Comes out of an outstanding Defensive unit. You don't luck your way into 2nd in the league in INTs & being THAT high a PFF grade.

- A+: If Stone pairs w Battle & they can then get Dax into more of a defensive weapon role & out of the traditional every down S.

On paper Stone & Battle give the Bengals a killer S duo. Dax Hill will have to move to NCB, his best position, to be honest.

- F: That's a ton of cash to throw into a rotational S piece that isn't going to start or play majority of snaps.

This HAS to be a move to get Dax into a Nickel/CB hybrid role. HAS to be, right?

Are you assuming Hilton is completely washed? If hill takes his role at nickel then he’s useless. He’s an elite nickel but a liability anywhere else
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:15 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Are you assuming Hilton is completely washed? If hill takes his role at nickel then he’s useless. He’s an elite nickel but a liability anywhere else
Not necessarily, they can use both of them this year before having to make a decision on Hilton's contract at the end of the season. Lou can use his NCB according to match ups. I don't think Hilton is washed but he HAS regressed in coverage. What Hilton lacks in coverage can be subbed for Hill. Larger slot WR / split TE? Use Hill. Blitz either / both out of Big nickel and dime sets. Disguise coverages. Lou can get creative with that group this year, I hope he takes advantage of the talent in the secondary!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Bell is SS. Stone is FS. 

Wasn't there all that fluff awhile back about how our defense was safety agnostic?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This is a great signing, I can't wait to see what Lou can do with him.

I don't care about PFF situational grades, they're meaningless once you change organisations.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I give it a solid B.  Helps strengthen a weakness, didn't have to overpay, one less position to be concerned with in the draft.  Well done.

Rock solid B. For Stone. 

hehehehe
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:15 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Are you assuming Hilton is completely washed? If hill takes his role at nickel then he’s useless. He’s an elite nickel but a liability anywhere else

I think Hilton is 30 and will start to taper off, yes. Last offseason he started doing media (podcasts, radio, etc) to prepare for life after football.

I also think Dax has a higher ceiling than Hilton.

^ That being said, I was reading that the Bengals may do a lot of 3 Safety looks w Battle, Stone, & Hill..... which will be unique for sure. Tough to really know how this will all shake out.
Reply/Quote
I'm not getting the hype for Geno Stone. Nor the certainty he is not a one-year wonder. College career where only 6 interceptions in 3 years and ended up drafted in 7th round. Waived multiple times to either end up on the practice squad or picked up by Houston, who didn't extend him, so back to the Ravens. One good year, last year. But even then he missed over 12% of the tackles that he was in position to make and graded out around 40 PFF for run defense. (I've seen grades of 33 and 42 listed).

The word "ascending player" doesn't excite me because I've heard it used before without coming to fruition. Nor trust Lou, because we said that with the safety last year.

Now, I am hearing a lot of posters make the point that he is great in communication. I would love to see this from a reputable source. I do know the Bengals staff lamented the poor communication last year, so that would be important and would raise my confidence in the signing.

But it was a deep free agent safety class. Why not one of the sure-fire safeties, such as Justin Simmons, a four-time all-pro? Geno Stone didn't even make the probowl, despite the 7 interceptions. I hope he's not a one-year wonder.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 07:34 AM)wanga Wrote: Rock solid B. For Stone. 

hehehehe

Well, that's right up there with your "we're rolling with Stone and I gather Moss as well."
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I gave it an A as Stone was brought in to help with communication and lining up the Defense and he is elite in coverage.

Looking back I probably should of voted B because of the poor run Defense, but too late, already voted A.

Agreed, this is what we need and missed last year.  If we can protect Joe teams will have to pass early and often, a ball-hawk safety is perfect. DL and LB should be making most of the tackles on RB. If I have to choose between an elite run stopping safety and a very good pass coverage safety I will take the pass coverage skills.  Running the football is so 1999 unless you are the Ravens.  An intelligent  safety with excellent instincts and hands sounds wonderful. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't there all that fluff awhile back about how our defense was safety agnostic?

That was under Marvin!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote