Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grantham Decides To Stay At Florida
(02-14-2019, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: I don't tweet....what was he saying....cliff notes....I can't see twitter links on here because of work firewall.  Hey, I don't ask much. LMAO

I'm not on twitter either but here it from my buddies. I am not sure how to frame a tweet, so here what he posted

Quote:These DC’s I keep reading that “pass on job”. Show me the better roster you dreaming of! I need answers thnx.

-via source near Dunlap’s team bka my iPhone

Employee96
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not stressing about this. The feeling has to be mutual between both parties. I don't want someone here if their heart's not in it 100%. If he's comfortable with the Florida gig and doesn't want to uproot his family, fair enough. Search moves on.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:58 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It doesn't upset me at all.

What we have currently available, is what's available.

The report from all sources is that Del Rio and Zac Taylor mutual agreed it wouldn't work. Which is a nice way of saying that they don't want to work together.

Dom Capers basically flat out turned us down over the multiple offers he got.

Which I thought was hilarious, because about 80% of Bengaldom did nothing but hate on the guy.

All he did was probably look at what this defense was capable of doing and the only thing that they defended last year was multiple coaches from having jobs.

You may not like it, but it's the truth.

Most, if not all reports, said we were viewed as a top landing spot for head coaches because of stability at the quarterback position and loyalty to our head coaches.

Statistically speaking, we had one of the worst defensive units in NFL history, it's hard to talk your way out of that.

Todd Grantham was never a guaranteed hire.

Word was from the beginning that his family didn't want to move and he's already one of the highest paid coordinators in all of football.

The truth is we could of offered him a key to the city and he still might not have came.

The only thing it hurts is the already created stigma that nobody wants to play for the Bengals.

The players on defense underperformed most of the year and the result is nobody wants them.

We might have to get a defensive coordinator hungry to make a name for himself. They have nobody to blame, but themselves on that.

It reminds me of a time when Paul Brown first entered the NFL, coming from the AAFC, their first opponent was the defending champion Eagles.

Greasy Neale said that Paul Brown was an overhyped high school coach, coaching a bunch of overhyped high school players.

Coach Paul Brown placed that newspaper everywhere he could and his team destroyed the Eagles.

After the game Greasy Neale said all the do is pass the ball, that they couldn't beat him man-to-man.

They played them again that year and Paul Brown set a record that has never been matched since then. The Browns didn't throw a single pass the entire game and still won.

If I'm Zac Taylor that's what I do with this team. I'd have them playing agile, mobile and hostile. It be nothing, but blood, sweat and tears this offseason.

They be hitting everything that moved.

that's a giant wall of text with a history lesson, but even after reading it they still don't have any defensive staff coming into the combine.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I’m really trying to understand how all these defensive coaches keep turning us down??

What gives, why does nobody want to come here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:30 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I’m really trying to understand how all these defensive coaches keep turning us down??

What gives, why does nobody want to come here??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, the Bengals fired their last DC midway through the season after the defense put up historically bad numbers.  Not to say firing Austin wasn't justified, but there may be concerns regarding job security and maybe even roster talent.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:32 AM)Big Boss Wrote: To be fair, the Bengals fired their last DC midway through the season after the defense put up historically bad numbers.  Not to say firing Austin wasn't justified, but there may be concerns regarding job security and maybe even roster talent.  

the bengals may also be pitching that the defense should stay 4-3 but interviewing 3-4 coaches..

No way to know each of these coaches probly had a different reason.

Del Rio... Wants to be a HC I'm guessing

Capers might be done.

Grantham.. has kids in HS and doesn't want to move them again.  And we didn't offer enough to change his mind.

I think that's it for the headliners so far.

We will find someone
Reply/Quote
I think it all comes down to money. Grantham probably wanted at least double what he's getting for the weather and the headache lol. Some coaches just prefer college and he doesn't want another brown's situation here

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:26 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I'm not on twitter either but here it from my buddies. I am not sure how to frame a tweet, so here what he posted

:andy: Much thanks Hoof....seems like this may ignite a fire under these guys' asses.  They need it.  Marvin said on his interview the other day that when he took over, the first thing he told them was that they were flat out underachieving.  He was right too.  They did seem to improve down the stretch.

(02-14-2019, 11:26 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm not stressing about this.  The feeling has to be mutual between both parties.  I don't want someone here if their heart's not in it 100%.  If he's comfortable with the Florida gig and doesn't want to uproot his family, fair enough.  Search moves on.

Very good point.

(02-14-2019, 11:32 AM)Big Boss Wrote: To be fair, the Bengals fired their last DC midway through the season after the defense put up historically bad numbers.  Not to say firing Austin wasn't justified, but there may be concerns regarding job security and maybe even roster talent.  

Absolutely.....we're talking about a record setting 32nd ranked defense here.  You know that has to give a guy pause, especially a guy that just signed a 3 year extension at a power conference school.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: :andy: Much thanks Hoof....seems like this may ignite a fire under these guys' asses.  They need it.  Marvin said on his interview the other day that when he took over, the first thing he told them was that they were flat out underachieving.  He was right too.  They did seem to improve down the stretch.

Very good point.

Absolutely.....we're talking about a record setting 32nd ranked defense here.  You know that has to give a guy pause, especially a guy that just signed a 3 year extension at a power conference school.

Wait a minute.  I thought we climbed all the way up to 31.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:54 AM)McC Wrote: Wait a minute.  I thought we climbed all the way up to 31.

LOL Did we?  If so, then my apologies! LMAO

Reply/Quote
Well. Welcome to the Bengals ZT. Now you know why this was deemed as the worst opening. Hopefully we have a defensive staff by the Draft. But it won't matter, no one on the staff outside of the HC will have ever called plays before. That is a sign of a rough season to come. But it's only year 1 and we weren't going to be competitive this year anyway.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: LOL Did we?  If so, then my apologies! LMAO

I was kinda wrong and kinda right.  Last in yards, 30th in points.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Well. Welcome to the Bengals ZT. Now you know why this was deemed as the worst opening. Hopefully we have a defensive staff by the Draft. But it won't matter, no one on the staff outside of the HC will have ever called plays before. That is a sign of a rough season to come. But it's only year 1 and we weren't going to be competitive this year anyway.

Honestly, we have a bad offensive line. Terrible LB's. Probably more needs than we can fill in 1 offseason. No TE's.

We historically don't spend in free agency.

We have a small amount of scouts.

Austin had Florida ties and we fired him halfway through the season.

Why would Grantham leave? Plus Florida has better weather. They recruit well.
Reply/Quote

I doubt Austin getting fired has anything to do with our hiring struggles.  We still remain a team that has provided multiple opportunities for coaches to move upwards in the NFL coaching heirarchy.

I actually would be surprised if what is happening has just one thing in common.  Each person likely has their own reasons for saying no.  

I do think part of the challenge is that most of our coaching hires came via Marvin.  With Taylor being young and offensively oriented and mgmts lack of involvement in the assistant hiring process, I believe we simply don't have the relationships with potential hires.  WE have the names, we have the resumes, we lack the personal relationship that often closes the deal.  Case in point...look at his offense hires.  ALL had some sort of prior relationship.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Well. Welcome to the Bengals ZT. Now you know why this was deemed as the worst opening. Hopefully we have a defensive staff by the Draft. But it won't matter, no one on the staff outside of the HC will have ever called plays before. That is a sign of a rough season to come. But it's only year 1 and we weren't going to be competitive this year anyway.

What an absolute loser mentality. If AJ and Andy stay healthy, and Taylor is even a halfway decent HC, we will be competitive.

Reply/Quote
Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson, and Vance Joseph would probably have a good laugh about jobs on the Cincinnati Bengals being beneath someone. If someone says that they aren't interested, they probably aren't legit NFL quality anyway.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:45 PM)pally Wrote: I doubt Austin getting fired has anything to do with our hiring struggles.  We still remain a team that has provided multiple opportunities for coaches to move upwards in the NFL coaching heirarchy.

I actually would be surprised if what is happening has just one thing in common.  Each person likely has their own reasons for saying no.  

I do think part of the challenge is that most of our coaching hires came via Marvin.  With Taylor being young and offensively oriented and mgmts lack of involvement in the assistant hiring process, I believe we simply don't have the relationships with potential hires.  WE have the names, we have the resumes, we lack the personal relationship that often closes the deal.  Case in point...look at his offense hires.  ALL had some sort of prior relationship.

I'm starting to think that they see a historically poor management team who hired a young QB coach with little coaching experience as their HC and then filled other positions with inexperienced people and they are deciding to steer clear of it.

That's my guess. And they viewed Marvin as the reason this team was above average and his departure worries them.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm starting to think that they see a historically poor management team who hired a young QB coach with little coaching experience as their HC and then filled other positions with inexperienced people and they are deciding to steer clear of it.

That's my guess. And they viewed Marvin as the reason this team was above average and his departure worries them.

Doc's article pretty well clears it up.  Zac was the one that passed on Del Rio (this seems odd to me), Capers was mutual, Grantham had several outlying factors...including our personnel, and it appears the new HC has in mind what he wants in a DC.  He just couldn't manage to lock Grantham or Dennis Allen down.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: Doc's article pretty well clears it up.  Zac was the one that passed on Del Rio (this seems odd to me), Capers was mutual, Grantham had several outlying factors...including our personnel, and it appears the new HC has in mind what he wants in a DC.  He just couldn't manage to lock Grantham or Dennis Allen down.

I'm pretty good at reading situations...and I'm starting to be worried about this new coaching staff. Passing on Del Rio seems like he felt threatened by him.

As far as Grantham, I agree with him. You're not going to come in here and run a 3-4 with this personnel group. AND we need to fix the offensive line AND need 2 LB's, AND a new TE, and possibly a WR3. With all those needs I don't see us being able to draft guys needed for a 3-4.

Dennis Allen? - The Saints give up A LOT of yards and points. I don't see him as such a great fit either.

All Taylor seems to want to do is make comfortable hires. Friends and people he knows. The issue is he doesn't seem to know many people in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm pretty good at reading situations...and I'm starting to be worried about this new coaching staff. Passing on Del Rio seems like he felt threatened by him.

As far as Grantham, I agree with him. You're not going to come in here and run a 3-4 with this personnel group. AND we need to fix the offensive line AND need 2 LB's, AND a new TE, and possibly a WR3. With all those needs I don't see us being able to draft guys needed for a 3-4.

Dennis Allen? - The Saints give up A LOT of yards and points. I don't see him as such a great fit either.

All Taylor seems to want to do is make comfortable hires. Friends and people he knows. The issue is he doesn't seem to know many people in the NFL.

He’s also working well behind the 8 ball. Remember, he’s “officially” been a HC for a whooping 11 days. I don’t think it’s that big of deal. A little concerning but not a big deal
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote