Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great article on Burkhead
Jordan Shipley/Dane Sanzenbacher/Rex Burkhead have all on this board been mentioned at one time being "Our Wes Welker" or could be our "Wes Welker".

When really and truly besides being white dudes and lining up in the slot they have nothing really in common.

You just don't see that kind of singular direct reference between other players on the roster.

I could care less about the color of a dude.
It's just funny.

No one is ever like thats our next AJ Green or that's our next Antonio Gates.......
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 05:32 PM)McC Wrote: You're the second person who mentioned this about him being caught.  I watched it twice and both times, it looked pretty clear to me that the LB in question was in zone coverage and right there when Eifert caught the ball.  Nobody chased him down at all. 

And you do know that LB's and TE's are ab out the same, speed-wise these days.  As a group, I would even say LB's are faster than TE's.

Between Burkhead, who I like a lot, and Eifert, we'll see who catches more passes.  When you're chanting Eifert's name, remember this conversation.

While I agree that the Giants were in zone coverage, the MLB (usually the slowest of the lb's) was 2 to 3 yards off Eifert when he caught the ball, and not "right there" as you claim. After the wide open catch, Beason clearly catches and brings down Eifert.

Obviously, Eifert will catch more passes than Rex (being the no. 1 TE and being on the field for more plays) provided he doesn't injure himself again. That's about as brillant as me saying Rex will have more rushing attempts than Eifert.

Here's to hoping that Eifert becomes a top flight TE, but don't blame me for NOT viewing an unproven, often-injured 3rd yr. player through rose colored glasses. As a fan, i want to see if Eifert can beat coverage off the l.o.s., get separation, catch a pass, and outrun lb's., like Graham. Hearing all the talk about how he's going to create mismatches, but have yet to see him get open while covered. That said, I want you to recall this convo, when you realize he's no Graham or Gronk.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 07:13 PM)Cinnno Wrote: While I agree that the Giants were in zone coverage,  the MLB (usually the slowest of the lb's)  was 2 to 3 yards off Eifert when he caught the ball,  and not "right there" as you claim.  After the wide open catch, Beason clearly catches and brings down Eifert.  

Obviously,  Eifert will catch more passes than Rex (being the no. 1 TE and being on the field for more plays) provided he doesn't injure himself again.  That's about as brillant as me saying Rex will have more rushing attempts than Eifert.

Here's to hoping that Eifert becomes a top flight TE,  but don't blame me for NOT viewing an unproven, often-injured 3rd yr. player through rose colored glasses.  As a fan, i want to see if Eifert can beat coverage off the l.o.s., get separation,  catch a pass, and outrun lb's., like Graham.   Hearing all the talk about how he's going to create mismatches, but have yet to see him get open while covered.  That said, I want you to recall this convo, when you realize he's no Graham or Gronk.

Two Things :

1. TE's don't get separation blowing by the defense with speed, that would make them a WR. TE's get separation with leverage, positioning, strength, and by surprising the defense with seam routes after running a hundred curls. You're not going to see TE's regularly burn defenders with speed.

2. Eifert  caught 39 passes for 445 yards and two touchdowns in his first season with the team. In a limited backup TE2 role. Both him and Jones were used little the first half of the season. So don't try and act like he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's not the next Wes Welker.  He's the next Brian Leonard...  maybe better. 

Get your white guys straight. [Image: happy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 04:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: Get over it people see skin color whats the big deal? This day and age there are a handful of white running backs who convert to a slot receiver and the best of them just happens to be welker.  Just because its human nature to draw the simplest conclusion instead of scouring football history to perfect match him to someone of color doesn't make people racist.

Wow, thanks for that.  Race was the last thing on my mind when starting the thread.  I was thinking more along the lines of size and quickness in the slot and drawing a comparison to one of the best (Welker).  I could have just as easily compared Rex to Baby Hawk with his size and speed but Baby Hawk hasn't had the career of Welker.

Geez, it was just one of those "what if" threads, has nothing at all to do with race.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 08:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Two Things :

1. TE's don't get separation blowing by the defense with speed, that would make them a WR. TE's get separation with leverage, positioning, strength, and by surprising the defense with seam routes after running a hundred curls. You're not going to see TE's regularly burn defenders with speed.

2. Eifert  caught 39 passes for 445 yards and two touchdowns in his first season with the team. In a limited backup TE2 role. Both him and Jones were used little the first half of the season. So don't try and act like he hasn't taken an NFL snap yet.

You obviously haven't seen J. Graham or some others play, and last I checked, he IS a TE. Graham routinely runs by defenders while being covered. A little context please; Eifert's yards were due mainly to: a proven Gresham being the main concern in TE coverage, thereby leaving Eifert open for easy catches, not as a result of getting open while covered. Its not unrealistic to reserve judgement on his perceived greatness until he demostrates as the no. 1 TE, is it?
Also, he's limited because of injuries. Clearly he's taken snaps, no brainer. Perhaps you think it helps to strengthen your point by stating that? Right. Game rewind/Game pass is a great tool, especially when viewing it in coach's view. It provides you with an objective prospective, that is, unless you already have a preconceived bias.
Again, here's to hoping Tyler becomes a top TE in the league. I'm just not the kind of fan who will anoint a player to elite status based on potential, instead of facts. It's a common practice among a number of Bengals fans. I call it LeonardShipley-likeitis.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 06:34 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Jordan Shipley/Dane Sanzenbacher/Rex Burkhead  have all on this board been mentioned at one time being "Our Wes Welker" or could be our "Wes Welker".

When really and truly besides being white dudes and lining up in the slot they have nothing really in common.

You just don't see that kind of singular direct reference between other players on the roster.

I could care less about the color of a dude.
It's just funny.

No one is ever like thats our next AJ Green or that's our next Antonio Gates.......

Really?  I've seen a number of threads over the years hoping we could find our next Chris Henry.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 09:18 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Really?  I've seen a number of threads over the years hoping we could find our next Chris Henry.

I think that Marvin Jones could be comparable to Chris Henry now that we are on the subject lmao!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 07:13 PM)Cinnno Wrote: While I agree that the Giants were in zone coverage,  the MLB (usually the slowest of the lb's)  was 2 to 3 yards off Eifert when he caught the ball,  and not "right there" as you claim.  After the wide open catch, Beason clearly catches and brings down Eifert.  

Obviously,  Eifert will catch more passes than Rex (being the no. 1 TE and being on the field for more plays) provided he doesn't injure himself again.  That's about as brillant as me saying Rex will have more rushing attempts than Eifert.

Here's to hoping that Eifert becomes a top flight TE,  but don't blame me for NOT viewing an unproven, often-injured 3rd yr. player through rose colored glasses.  As a fan, i want to see if Eifert can beat coverage off the l.o.s., get separation,  catch a pass, and outrun lb's., like Graham.   Hearing all the talk about how he's going to create mismatches, but have yet to see him get open while covered.  That said, I want you to recall this convo, when you realize he's no Graham or Gronk.

Eifert ran right in front of the LB.  The LB was right there.  There was no chasing.  Stop saying that.  Apparently, there were not two prole saying it, just you saying it twice. 

BTW,   there is only one Jimmy Graham.    He i an anomaly.  Saying you expect anyone else to be him is, well, stupid.  And Gronk gets schemed open.  How can you not see that?  He so very seldom outruns anybody.  He may bowl guys over.  He does not outrun people.  Very few TE's do.  Do you understand the position at all?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 09:26 PM)McC Wrote: Eifert ran right in front of the LB.  The LB was right there.  There was no chasing.  Stop saying that.  Apparently, there were not two prole saying it, just you saying it twice. 

BTW,   there is only one Jimmy Graham.    He i an anomaly.  Saying you expect anyone else to be him is, well, stupid.  And Gronk gets schemed open.  How can you not see that?  He so very seldom outruns anybody.  He may bowl guys over.  He does not outrun people.  Very few TE's do.  Do you understand the position at all?

Sorry pal, but you can quit with the "stop saying that" crap. Does that really work in your world? Attempts to insult or questioning someones knowledge of the game because their opinion is different than yours, is so Trump of you. Very weak my friend. Why can't we simply agree to disagree? Nah, for the moment I'll lower myself to your standard ( for entertainment purposes only. ) First, learn to spell correctly. Secondly, don't say in one breath that Graham is a anomaly because he outruns defenders, and in the next breath say that other TE's do the same. I think you get where I'm going with this. He can't be a anomaly if others playing the same position are doing it the same way. You are embarrassing yourself. Lastly, I'm guessing the only time you ever broke a sweat is not as a result of ever participating in sports, but rather in starting and maintaining the fire in a grill.
Reply/Quote