Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest rock vocalist.
Not frontman or performer, but pure voice. I have no musical knowledge, and I can't sing a note so my opinion is just based on what sounds the best to me.

For me it's Klaus Meine of the Scorpions. His voice at the end of "Still Loving You"? Ridiculous.

I don't know a lot of Judas Priest, but Rob Halford can just flat out sing.

Freddie Mercury.

I couldn't name one song by Queensryche, but my brother says it's Geoff Tate then everyone else so For my brother I will list him.

And let's not forget The King. Dude had some chops.

I'm sure those of you really into music have a whole different list, but those are the ones that sound best to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My favorite has always been Gregg Allman, with Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix right behind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Lou Gramm

Steve Perry

Two of the hardest rock vocalists to emulate IMO.

Perry had range but he also had tone. The guys who copy him are more nasally. More singing from the head than chest.

I have never heard anyone come close to Lou's voice. Very unique.

Brad Delp of Boston is usually one of the most overlooked rock vocalist.

So much that most don't even know him by name. Even though he has quite the catalog of classic hits.

Man that guy had some range !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Amy Lee, Evanescence.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Freddie Mercury.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Scott Stapp. Ninja

But seriously, probably Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant.
Reply/Quote
Chris Cornell.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 09:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Lou Gramm

Steve Perry

Two of the hardest rock vocalists to emulate IMO.

Perry had range but he also had tone.  The guys who copy him are more nasally.  More singing from the head than chest.

I have never heard anyone come close to Lou's voice.  Very unique.

Brad Delp of Boston is usually one of the most overlooked rock vocalist.

So much that most don't even know him by name.  Even though he has quite the catalog of classic hits.

Man that guy had some range !

Nice call on Lou and Steve
Reply/Quote
my personal fave is Elvis.

if i had to compile a list I'd include the aforementioned, Mercury, Plant, Dio and Paul Rogers.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not frontman or performer, but pure voice.  I have no musical knowledge, and I can't sing a note so my opinion is just based on what sounds the best to me.

For me it's Klaus Meine of the Scorpions.  His voice at the end of "Still Loving You"? Ridiculous.

Freddie Mercury.

I couldn't name one song by Queensryche, but my brother says it's Geoff Tate then everyone else so For my brother I will list him.

And let's not forget The King.  Dude had some chops.  

I'm sure those of you really into music have a whole different list, but those are the ones that sound best to me.

not a scorpions fan myself but Klaus had a big voice....huge.  same with Halford.
Reply/Quote
Lane Staley and throw in Jerry Cantrell for harmonizing.

Eddie Vedder

Jeff Tweedy
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not frontman or performer, but pure voice. I have no musical knowledge, and I can't sing a note so my opinion is just based on what sounds the best to me.

For me it's Klaus Meine of the Scorpions. His voice at the end of "Still Loving You"? Ridiculous.

Freddie Mercury.

And let's not forget The King. Dude had some chops.

I agree on Klaus, Halford and Freddie

Check out

Hansi Kürsch of Blind Gaurdian the dude made me an instant fan.
Hansi is probly top of my listening list nowadays... Even more so after i saw them live in november.

Also my list would include
Plant
Morrison
Dio

enjoyed
Layne Staley
Jerry Cantrell
And Steve tyler too.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 03:09 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Scott Stapp. Ninja

But seriously, probably Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant.

but can they take you higher..... to a place where blind men see...
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 03:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I agree on Klaus, Halford and Freddie

Check out

Hansi Kürsch of Blind Gaurdian the dude made me an instant fan.
 Hansi is probly top of my listening list nowadays...  Even more so after i saw them live in november.

Also my list would include
Plant
Morrison
Dio

enjoyed
Layne Staley
Jerry Cantrell
And Steve tyler too.

That's a couple of votes for Dio, and I'd have to agree.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If you're asking for a singular voice, it's Freddie Mercury.

There was always just something about his voice that was different and unique.
Reply/Quote
Tough question. Just like it takes more than speed and technique to be a great rock guitar player it takes more than just vocal range to be a great rock singer. To me rock music is about screaming and growling so i think a good rock singer has to have the "feel" in addition to just a good voice.

For me Jim Morrison and Roger Daltry are the best "rock vocalist"
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 10:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Freddie Mercury.

Yup.

From quality to range to just being unique, it was him.
Reply/Quote
No Bob Dylan yet?  For shame gentlemen, for shame!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 04:07 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: No Bob Dylan yet?  For shame gentlemen, for shame!

Nervous

You'd have to know what he was saying to consider him a vocalist. For years I thought he was singing "I once loved a woman, a child and a toad."
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 04:07 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: No Bob Dylan yet?  For shame gentlemen, for shame!

He is the greatest nasal singer of all time.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote