Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Green to Ross: "Just stop thinking"
(05-16-2018, 08:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Geez, you guys make it sound like he's a mental ****** with all these 3 character mental diseases.

Luckily, I don't believe in any of that crap, which means I'll take his improved attitude as a good sign.

I never liked the pick. And I liked it even less after his rookie season where he literally validated all of the reason I didn't like the pick by making them all come true.

The change in attitude is awesome! You can't fix anything if you don't see that anything is wrong. At least he seems to see there's something to fix.

Agree on all of your points, as I pretty much feel the same way about him.  Didn't like the pick, liked it even less once the season rolled around.  However, he's a Bengal, so I will pull for him 100%.

I also get a kick out of the folks that are so quick to "diagnose" him with some sort of disorder.   LOL

But, to the bolded.  I have a feeling that John Ross has been a "superstar" on every team he was on since middle school.  He was likely used to being "the man", and quite possibly had gotten used to coaches tailoring the game to his skills, rather than him conforming to a regimented play book.  When you combine that with the fanfare of being a top 10 NFL pick, he may have gotten a big head about himself.  It was likely quite strange and possibly alienating for him to be stuck on the bench for the first time that he could remember.  

That situation would be stressful to anyone, and cause their attitude to go South.  Whatever the situation, I'm excited to hear that he's taking to mentoring.  Even more excited to learn that he's getting his confidence back, feeling great physically, and most importantly he seems to be growing as a young man.  For all the crap I've spoken about John Ross on here, here's to him assuming his spot on the team!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ive never really been much for people trying to be psycho-analysis experts of players based on some gobbledegook cooked up by Hobson in one of his patented Hobby posts..  As far as I can tell Ross is just one of those guys trying to figure out how to fit in the league while trying to become a big star.  He's a young guy loaded with talent with fans and pundits trying to pretend to be experts at how to be a big star..a ton of pressure coming from everyone then trying to explain last year's failure.. Best I can tell AJ etc., are telling him to relax and just play football and don't let the talking heads get under his skin.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree on all of your points, as I pretty much feel the same way about him.  Didn't like the pick, liked it even less once the season rolled around.  However, he's a Bengal, so I will pull for him 100%.

I also get a kick out of the folks that are so quick to "diagnose" him with some sort of disorder.   LOL

But, to the bolded.  I have a feeling that John Ross has been a "superstar" on every team he was on since middle school.  He was likely used to being "the man", and quite possibly had gotten used to coaches tailoring the game to his skills, rather than him conforming to a regimented play book.  When you combine that with the fanfare of being a top 10 NFL pick, he may have gotten a big head about himself.  It was likely quite strange and possibly alienating for him to be stuck on the bench for the first time that he could remember.  

That situation would be stressful to anyone, and cause their attitude to go South.  Whatever the situation, I'm excited to hear that he's taking to mentoring.  Even more excited to learn that he's getting his confidence back, feeling great physically, and most importantly he seems to be growing as a young man.  For all the crap I've spoken about John Ross on here, here's to him assuming his spot on the team!

Yeah, the NFL game is so much faster than the college game and I believe you are correct about him not being use to having to conform to a regimented play book (not that our play book was anything to write home about).

At Washington he got to go up against Pac 12 DBs every game. Laughable really when compared to the NFL corners he has to be able to beat.

Reply/Quote
It was never his fault he was picked top 10. Hopefully he figures it out mentally, and when he does, we have to hope he stays healthy.

Sounds like he's at least aware of the work he needs to do. We'll see come August.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 09:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: It was never his fault he was picked top 10. Hopefully he figures it out mentally, and when he does, we have to hope he stays healthy.

Sounds like he's at least aware of the work he needs to do. We'll see come August.

Never his fault?  WTF is that supposed to mean?  For a college football player, that's like winning the job lottery.  I would think it to have been his goal to be a top 10 pick.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It means he probably shouldn't have been a top 10 pick.

He can succeed nevertheless. Hopefully he does.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 10:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: It means he probably shouldn't have been a top 10 pick.

He can succeed nevertheless. He had an elite trait that couldnt be taught.A 4.22 wr with good ball skill is gonna get reached for everytime
Reply/Quote
Seems to be a lot of over thinking about AJ telling Ross not to over think around here, lol.

Was so mad when Ross was selected I left the draft party immediately to start my drive home. Just had way bigger needs, never was personal but pull for him now that he is a Bengal.
Actually like what I am hearing from him by owning up and accepting responsibility instead of making excuses and whining like last season..

Hope the kid tears it up this year and himself, AJ, and Eiffert all have great years.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My God this guy is a mess.

I agree with you, reminds me of that QB the raiders drafted... talented but flopped.. what's his name.. JaMarcus Russell, yeah, that big flop. Attitude
Reply/Quote
It’s easy to overthink. Specially when your a kid and has been mentioned that many coaches built around his talents. Here he has to earn just to exist and that rattles him a little. He will be ok. Also, there is merit to the draft position. Had he been drafted middle to late rounds, the expectations would have been less and he probably wouldn’t have felt so much pressure and maybe played better. Hard to tell but I hope he does calm down. Would really like to see this kid succeed.

Reply/Quote
Ross was a great pick. Most NFL receivers take some time to learn and adjust and Ross was injured to boot. The Bengals success this year, that is winning division and a playoff game hinge on Ross being productive, We have needed a weapon opposit of AJ since he has been here. Ross is an amazing, exceptional talent and if he breaks out this offense could be special. Ross is more important than people here are considering.
Reply/Quote
Meh.....unless you've ever seen OCD, or had a touch of it yourself coupled with anxiety disorder.....you never know.

I stated that he was overthinking it in my first post....but the others are plausible scenarios.  Nothing is ever cut and dry.  I like things to be organized and a certain way, if they're not, it causes me anxiety until it is.  This was never a problem until about 10 years ago, although it did bother me when I played if my defender even got close to the play, or I took a wrong step/angle.  There are players in baseball throughout the years that had their weird routines before taking the mound (Fydrich, Hrabosky) or getting in the batter's box.  It's not far out of the realm of possibility that Ross is a perfectionist (slight OCD), and he is overthinking things is a result.  

It was just a discussion into possibilities.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 02:13 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I agree with you, reminds me of that QB the raiders drafted... talented but flopped.. what's his name.. JaMarcus Russell, yeah, that big flop. Attitude

In no way is this like Jamarcus Russell.  Russell was lazy, boozed and drugged his way out of the league, and was not very smart.  Ross is at least putting in the effort and time it takes make a pro.  He may flop, but it won't be from a lack of effort and drinking syzurp.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 09:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: In no way is this like Jamarcus Russell.  Russell was lazy, boozed and drugged his way out of the league, and was not very smart.  Ross is at least putting in the effort and time it takes make a pro.  He may flop, but it won't be from a lack of effort and drinking syzurp.

He is the reason that they changed the money that 1st round picks can make. He set the Raiders organization back 10 years by drafting that idiot.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 10:30 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: He is the reason that they changed the money that 1st round picks can make. He set the Raiders organization back 10 years by drafting that idiot.

Well we cant really bash them for making a horrible QB choice... We have been there ourselves
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 10:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well we cant really bash them for making a horrible QB choice... We have been there ourselves

That QB class was horrid, so unless they rolled with Josh McCown they were SOL.
Reply/Quote
What? Nobody wants to cut Ross in exchange for signing Mr J Football? Just think of the great connections with shady characters and underworld bar owners not to mention the plethora of 2nd hand shrinks he could bring to the table and all the practice we would all get typing the letters, W T & F! Nobody would have to be offended when you type in all caps and say, STOP YELLING! Everyone would be doing it. We'd have plenty of ready-made excuses for sucking too! 
I'm just trying to explore all the great options available and the lousy options so nobody feels left out. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 10:30 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: He is the reason that they changed the money that 1st round picks can make. He set the Raiders organization back 10 years by drafting that idiot.

Absolutely no doubt to that.....

Reply/Quote
I don't know what to think, between those who think Smart Ross thinks too much and those who think Stupid Ross doesn't think enough. It's so confusing.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 12:27 PM)snowy Wrote: I don't know what to think, between those who think Smart Ross thinks too much and those who think Stupid Ross doesn't think enough. It's so confusing.

I think he doesn't catch enough footballs.
Reply/Quote