Sign Whit
68.29%
28 68.29%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Guard or Tackle
(02-22-2017, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lot's of talk about our oline and the move(s) we should make. So I will ask this hypothetical and create a poll (everybody likes a poll). No need to add "we can do this or that" or "we won't do this of that". Also not a thread to express your views of the coaching staff. It is a thread to discuss realistic player options.

A. Sign Z, let Whit walk and work with what we have on the staff for RG/RT

B. Sign Whit. let Z walk and work with what we have on the staff for LT/RT

I hate the fact that it has to be one or the other, especially since there is room to sign both.  But if it has to be either/or, it has to be Whit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Now, the real answer (and it should have been included in the poll is both)

Right.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 01:51 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: This is a no-brainer.

LT trumps every other position on the line imo.

Whit is one of the best LTs in the league if not the best.

He has shown no decline in his play.

With Boling and Whit the left side is a non-issue and locked down. Andy won't have to watch his blind-side as much. With Whit gone now the right and the left side of the line have issues.

We can replace a guard much easier than a LT.

He's a team leader.

He can still bounce to the interior in the future.

No doubt, bring back Whit no matter what. Pay the man big money for 2 years and it will not be wasted.

If we lose Whitworth this team is in the shitter period. No point in hoping us getting better, it will not happen.
Reply/Quote
I meant to vote whit but accidentally hit Z and vote right after. Those results are now invalid, sorry everyone! I ruined the threadSad
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:33 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yep, and there's no difference between QB and O-line either.

You mean kind of like how there's apparently no difference between a LT and a RG?

(02-22-2017, 02:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yea you are right. Whit and Zeitler both have many years left in the NFL. What was I thinking making a decision based off of the facts we are debating a young guard coming off his rookie contract and the oldest tackle in the league at 35. 

Dansby used to be good too. Probably just a down year last year. Age and wear and tear has no effect on these guys. You know what they say these NFL players age like fine wine.

You're making a decision based off of ONE fact, age. You're not accounting the varied important of the position, the difference in skill, or the difference in leadership.

(02-22-2017, 02:45 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Really? Brian Hoyer is garbage and Tom Brady is the GOAT.  Zeitler is comparable to Whit in skill and he is 8 years younger. If you can only have one , you go with the guy who is going to be with you for years, but really, there is no sense of not being able to sign both. This is supposedly the reason we can't sign a big name free agent.

There is no reality on this planet where Zeitler is comparable to Whit in skill. Zeitler is a good guard, Whit is an elite LT. That's a world of difference.

Imagine the 2016 OL without Zeitler and with Westerman.
Now imagine the 2016 OL without Whit and with Ogbuehi.

Exactly.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:00 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Whatever happened to Trey Hopkins?

I thought the coaches were feeling good about him until he got injured a few years ago. Does anyone think he has a chance of making a push to start?

Geoff Hobson sure does.  If you believe what he says, then they might as well draw up a 5-year 40 million dollar extension for the career nobody. After hearing him with Rapien last Friday, I was surprised they didn't just bench Zeitler and start him last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 02:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Now, the real answer (and it should have been included in the poll is both)

(02-22-2017, 03:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right.

Pretty sure both would have been the runaway winner if I had have included it in the poll. So that's why I established the either/or criteria. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Whitworth
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I would love to be able to keep both, but it's a lot easier to replace a very solid RG than it is a Pro Bowl caliber LT...at least for the immediate future, given the current state of the Bengals O-line.
Reply/Quote
Guys everything points to BOTH walking for NOTHING
Reply/Quote
I went Whitworth, without hesitation.  You just don't send a man who has been at the top of his position, a team leader, not to mention the 2nd highest rated Tackle in Pro Football down the road without having his clear heir apparent on the team.  The Bengals do not.

At this point, Ogbuehi is looking like a blown pick.  A bust.  Fisher, however is showing some promise, and might find his NFL career at RT or, perhaps even RG.  Did anyone even stop to consider how bad the LT class is, in this year's draft?  The past few years of the spread offense being so prolific in the college game is catching up.  The NCAA isn't producing the volume of 'plug and play" OL that can handle the NFL style of ball. 

We have a potential fill in for Zeitler on the roster, his name is Trey Hopkins.  We have nobody able to step up and handle the duties of a LT on the roster.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 09:30 PM)Housh Wrote: Guys everything points to BOTH walking for NOTHING

It seems like Z is definitely gone from everything that's been reported, but I'm still confident they'll keep Whit.

They still have 12 days to get a deal done. Now, if March 7th rolls around and there's still no deal, then the odds of him remaining a Bengal probably aren't very good.
Reply/Quote
I went with Z because with Lewis here for at least a few more years, we aren't winning anything and Whit only has a few left in him, as much as I love the guy!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I went Whitworth, without hesitation.  You just don't send a man who has been at the top of his position, a team leader, not to mention the 2nd highest rated Tackle in Pro Football down the road without having his clear heir apparent on the team.  The Bengals do not.

At this point, Ogbuehi is looking like a blown pick.  A bust.  Fisher, however is showing some promise, and might find his NFL career at RT or, perhaps even RG.  Did anyone even stop to consider how bad the LT class is, in this year's draft?  The past few years of the spread offense being so prolific in the college game is catching up.  The NCAA isn't producing the volume of 'plug and play" OL that can handle the NFL style of ball. 

We have a potential fill in for Zeitler on the roster, his name is Trey Hopkins.  We have nobody able to step up and handle the duties of a LT on the roster.
THIS!!!
Reply/Quote
Can we franchise Whitworth?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 04:51 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Can we franchise Whitworth?

13 million for an Olineman, if youre franchising Whit, then locking up Zeitler is a must. If you don't then you just look silly.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2017, 10:02 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: 13 million for an Olineman, if youre franchising Whit, then locking up Zeitler is a must. If you don't then you just look silly.

Not if you're worried about losing both in FA. Rather franchise Whit than risk losing him. Zeitler is gone, people need to accept that now and save themselves the trouble 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There is no reality on this planet where Zeitler is comparable to Whit in skill. Zeitler is a good guard, Whit is an elite LT. That's a world of difference.

Exactly.

If Westerman = the guard equivalent of Ogbuehi, I'm not sure there's much difference. The "pocket" would've collapsed from the middle on every play before Dalton could even set his feet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: There is no reality on this planet where Zeitler is comparable to Whit in skill. Zeitler is a good guard, Whit is an elite LT. That's a world of difference.

Exactly
5. Andrew Whitworth, LT, Cincinnati Bengals (89.0)

Perpetually one of the league’s most consistent and reliable tackles, Andrew Whitworth has once again been the best lineman on the Cincinnati Bengals’ roster, as well as one of the league’s best. Whitworth has surrendered four sacks, but only 13 total QB pressures this season, despite Andy Dalton holding onto the ball longer than he typically has in the past. Whitworth is getting up there in age (he turns 35 on Dec. 12), but that has yet to have a detrimental effect on his play.

23. Kevin Zeitler, RG, Cincinnati Bengals (85.7)

Cincinnati’s offensive line has had its issues this year, but those issues are coming from specific players along the line, and not the unit as a whole. Kevin Zeitler is having another good season, giving him a remarkably-consistent run of solid play dating back at least three seasons now. Zeitler has only been responsible for a single sack, and has allowed 14 total QB pressures for the Bengals this season while run blocking well and opening up holes for the RBs.

This is a list of the top 25 linemen in the NFL. Whit is ranked higher but not by that much. That is what I meant by similar in skill. I know LT is a more important position and Whit has been better over his career, but how long does he have left? Shouldn't the Bengals invest in the younger player? 
Reply/Quote
Here is the facts. Neither of these guys are going to resign because they will hit free agency. I think they will get Kirkpatrick signed, but I think our entire offensive line is now in rebulid.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote