Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Guard or Tackle - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Guard or Tackle (/Thread-Guard-or-Tackle)

Pages: 1 2 3

Guard or Tackle - bfine32 - 02-22-2017

Lot's of talk about our oline and the move(s) we should make. So I will ask this hypothetical and create a poll (everybody likes a poll). No need to add "we can do this or that" or "we won't do this of that". Also not a thread to express your views of the coaching staff. It is a thread to discuss realistic player options.

A. Sign Z, let Whit walk and work with what we have on the staff for RG/RT

B. Sign Whit. let Z walk and work with what we have on the staff for LT/RT

RE: Guard or Tackle - CageTheBengal - 02-22-2017

This is a no-brainer.

LT trumps every other position on the line imo.

Whit is one of the best LTs in the league if not the best.

He has shown no decline in his play.

With Boling and Whit the left side is a non-issue and locked down. Andy won't have to watch his blind-side as much. With Whit gone now the right and the left side of the line have issues.

We can replace a guard much easier than a LT.

He's a team leader.

He can still bounce to the interior in the future.

RE: Guard or Tackle - Au165 - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lot's of talk about our oline and the move(s) we should make. So I will ask this hypothetical and create a poll (everybody likes a poll). No need to add "we can do this or that" or "we won't do this of that". Also not a thread to express your views of the coaching staff. It is a thread to discuss realistic player options.

I think I'd sign Whit, let Z walk and sign Ronald Leary to a second tier G contract. guy is 27, so still young and a quality guard.

RE: Guard or Tackle - yellowxdiscipline - 02-22-2017

Whitworth... I think its easier to find a RG, then replace a guy like Whit. Its a scary thought to put Andy's blindside in the hands of Ogbeuhi

Can Dennis Roland play RG?

RE: Guard or Tackle - TheLeonardLeap - 02-22-2017

We know Ogbuehi is a hot mess.

Westerman could be good.

RE: Guard or Tackle - Benton - 02-22-2017

I went with sign Whit.

But my two cents: If we're wanting to win now, sign Whit. If we're rebuilding and want to win in a couple years, sign Zeitler.

RE: Guard or Tackle - bfine32 - 02-22-2017

If Whit walks barring FA we are most likely looking at:

Ced-Boling-Bodine-Z-Fisher. The Benefit of this is that we are much younger and we still have the possibility of Westerman unseated Bodine.

If Z walks we are looking at:

Whit-Boling-Bodine- Westerman- Ced. The benefit is the left side is set for the short-term and we have Fisher to sub in at G/T.

RE: Guard or Tackle - CageTheBengal - 02-22-2017

Whatever happened to Trey Hopkins?

I thought the coaches were feeling good about him until he got injured a few years ago. Does anyone think he has a chance of making a push to start?

RE: Guard or Tackle - NATI BENGALS - 02-22-2017

Easy. Sign the one that is 8 years younger than the other.

RE: Guard or Tackle - yellowxdiscipline - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 01:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Whit walks barring FA we are most likely looking at:

Ced-Boling-Bodine-Z-Fisher. The Benefit of this is that we are much younger and we still have the possibility of Westerman unseated Bodine.

Whit-Boling-Bodine- Westerman- Ced. The benefit is the left side is set for the short-term and we have Fisher to sub in at G/T.

Scary...

RE: Guard or Tackle - Hammerstripes - 02-22-2017

Zeitler.

Now, the real answer (and it should have been included in the poll is both)

I went with Z because there is a good chance that Whits last year is next year. So are you really going to let a very good linemen go and only get 1 year out of the other guy?

(02-22-2017, 01:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Whit walks barring FA we are most likely looking at:

Also, keep in mind that next year could be Whit's last year - there's no gauranetees with his age.  Then you would be looking at:

?? - Boling - ?? - ?? - Fisher

That's pretty scary as well

RE: Guard or Tackle - Socal Bengals fan - 02-22-2017

Damn our online is a ***** mess. Can't we sign both. After all we don't have much money invested at all in the Oline. We need to stop being stingy and pay the guys that protect Dalton.

RE: Guard or Tackle - ochocincos - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 01:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Lot's of talk about our oline and the move(s) we should make. So I will ask this hypothetical and create a poll (everybody likes a poll). No need to add "we can do this or that" or "we won't do this of that". Also not a thread to express your views of the coaching staff. It is a thread to discuss realistic player options.

I voted Whit because a top-notch LT is more valuable (at least IMO). If we were talking RT, then I'd vote re-sign Zeitler.

RE: Guard or Tackle - TheLeonardLeap - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 02:01 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Easy. Sign the one that is 8 years younger than the other.

Brian Hoyer is 8 years younger than Tom Brady.

Oh look, the art of GMing is really just as easy as looking at ages! Why is it such an exclusive job?   Ninja

(02-22-2017, 02:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brian Hoyer is 8 years younger than Tom Brady.

Oh look, the art of GMing is really just as easy as looking at ages! Why is it such an exclusive job?   Ninja

Yep, and there's no difference between QB and O-line either.

RE: Guard or Tackle - psychdoctor - 02-22-2017

I went with Big Z for two reasons
1-I want Whit to walk and have a chance for a SB.
2-Big Z helps the Center (which is weak), and RT (which is Weak).  He is younger. 

But TBH Fine, both are probably gone.  Both. 

RE: Guard or Tackle - NATI BENGALS - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 02:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brian Hoyer is 8 years younger than Tom Brady.

Yea you are right. Whit and Zeitler both have many years left in the NFL. What was I thinking making a decision based off of the facts we are debating a young guard coming off his rookie contract and the oldest tackle in the league at 35. 

Dansby used to be good too. Probably just a down year last year. Age and wear and tear has no effect on these guys. You know what they say these NFL players age like fine wine.

RE: Guard or Tackle - bengalhoel - 02-22-2017

Really? Brian Hoyer is garbage and Tom Brady is the GOAT.  Zeitler is comparable to Whit in skill and he is 8 years younger. If you can only have one , you go with the guy who is going to be with you for years, but really, there is no sense of not being able to sign both. This is supposedly the reason we can't sign a big name free agent.

RE: Guard or Tackle - jj22 - 02-22-2017

You have to go with Whit. We just aren't prepared to replace him. Should have been... but I digress. I'm more confident in weathering the loss at RG.

Only person happy about our current Oline situation is Bodine. Too much going on with LT, RG, RT to place any focus on upgrading center.