Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther..do we lose him this off season?
I was reflecting on all the positive attention on the D...high position on all the ranking, development of young players on all levels, some high quality talent drafted in last 2 years, etc,etc...

..and I realised that actually - even on this board - Paul Guenther has been flying under the radar for the job he's doing.

Do we think there's a real risk he gets a HC shot next season?  If so what are the possible candidate teams?...is he a Marv replacement?

I know after 2015 both him and Hue were in high regard but don't know if Paulie G actually got an interview anywhere.
Reply/Quote
Good question. I think he is up to take Marvins seat. However, although he's capable of running a defense, I'm not sure he is capable of running a team?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's the issue. It's a different skillset being a HC than a DC. Marvin was a great DC and is a mediocre HC.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 09:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the issue. It's a different skillset being a HC than a DC. Marvin was a great DC and is a mediocre HC.

As if Marvin has excelled at the HC skill set.. Perhaps he would if not for the meddling of one Mr Michael Brown and company. As with the question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.. The world may never know. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 09:40 PM)grampahol Wrote: As if Marvin has excelled at the HC skill set.. Perhaps he would if not for the meddling of one Mr Michael Brown and company. As with the question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.. The world may never know. 

Meh, he knew that was part of the deal, when he signed on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 09:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the issue. It's a different skillset being a HC than a DC. Marvin was a great DC and is a mediocre HC.

True, yet some do make the jump and succeed. 

Would be way more confident in Paul G than Hue by a long shot. 

Like the fact that Zimmer was a big fan of his as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Good chance Hue is available, and if Marvin is done after this year, I'd like to see an offensive mind in there.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 10:43 PM)Brimey Wrote: Good chance Hue is available, and if Marvin is done after this year, I'd like to see an offensive mind in there.

Yep. Counting LeBeau, we've had almost 20 years of defensive minded coaches.

Time to switch things up. I'd rather keep Guenth where he is, anyway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 11:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. Counting LeBeau, we've had almost 20 years of defensive minded coaches.

He will get offered by someone else eventually and not stay where he is for long at this rate.  

Am fine if we went offensive mind, but would not want Hue. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:37 AM)Go Cards Wrote: He will get offered by someone else eventually and not stay where he is for long at this rate.  

Am fine if we went offensive mind, but would not want Hue. 

Maybe, maybe not. Just because a coordinator is doing well doesn't automatically make him a hot HC candidate. The Bengals haven't exactly been a successful team lately, and the hottest candidates are usually from very successful teams.

I do figure someone will look at him eventually, but I'd still go for an offensive coach and just hope Guenth will be around at least another year. We should probably get someone on the staff that can take over for Guenth if we don't have a candidate in mind already.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Has he had any interviews?

Usually guys have one cycle of the interview circuit. Then hired e.g. Next year.
Reply/Quote
Hard to imagine he isn't on the radar of a few teams but I would think that he'd be in line behind a guy like Patricia from New England or I hope he would be. Guess that is the beauty to playing deep into the post season each year, get to keep your coaches since they can't be hired formally till after you are out and most teams like to make their moves quickly.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:53 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe, maybe not. Just because a coordinator is doing well doesn't automatically make him a hot HC candidate. The Bengals haven't exactly been a successful team lately, and the hottest candidates are usually from very successful teams.

I do figure someone will look at him eventually, but I'd still go for an offensive coach and just hope Guenth will be around at least another year. We should probably get someone on the staff that can take over for Guenth if we don't have a candidate in mind already.

Want the best man for the job and do not care what side of the ball he coaches on. 

Just me though. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
For the record I do not hate Marvin and am thankful to him for turning this franchise around from the joke it was becoming. He has not been perfect but has had some exciting teams.

Has been a fun ride except playoff wins.

Just think it is becoming stagnant and time for a change.

Hope he goes into a FO job actually

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think it would be a bad decision on his part to leave. It took him a couple years to catch on and it seems he finally found a groove. I just don't think he has the experience to succeed as a hc yet. He is still calling bonehead plays from time to time
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 11:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yep. Counting LeBeau, we've had almost 20 years of defensive minded coaches.

I'm on the Terry Robiskie train. He became the Titans OC in 2016.

2015: 25th Rushing, t-16th YPC (5-way tie)
2016: 3rd Rushing, t-4th YPC (3-way tie)
2017: 9th Rushing, 2nd YPC

Having a great running game would be an amazing change of pace from the years and years of being a bottom third running team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last yr out defense was less than stellar a lot of people wanted Paulie gone. I'll give credit where it's due but I'm not ready to call him the coach in waiting on a 2-3 team where he has won 2 games
Reply/Quote
I don't hate Marv either, given the circumstances, he's our best option until we move to London.

I don't care for frontgeunt though. He was walking on the beach with zimmer, looked back and realized there was only one set of footprints. Deep as they may have been.

We've had 3 great HC prospects leave in recent years. To pretend the golden coral card holder is one of them is plain lazy.
Reply/Quote
I'd say what about Lazor but if he continues to make the offense work behind that line, I'd nominate him for king, which wouldn't leave him much time for HC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 03:22 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I don't hate Marv either, given the circumstances, he's our best option until we move to London.  

I don't care for frontgeunt though.  He was walking on the beach with zimmer, looked back and realized there was only one set of footprints.  Deep as they may have been.  

We've had 3 great HC prospects leave in recent years.  To pretend the golden coral card holder is one of them is plain lazy.

Pretending PG is still riding Zimmers coat tails is lazy at best. An outright lie is more like it.  I have a feeling PG is gone soon if he's not promoted. Same is true for Lazer if the offense keeps improving and finishes really strong.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote