Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther..do we lose him this off season?
Seems like there's been a trend recently were more offensive minded coaches are getting head coaching jobs. Id say Guenther is safe for at least another year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 10:43 PM)Brimey Wrote: Good chance Hue is available, and if Marvin is done after this year, I'd like to see an offensive mind in there.

I don’t want Hue, he’s overrated
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 02:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm on the Terry Robiskie train. He became the Titans OC in 2016.

2015: 25th Rushing, t-16th YPC (5-way tie)
2016: 3rd Rushing, t-4th YPC (3-way tie)
2017: 9th Rushing, 2nd YPC

Having a great running game would be an amazing change of pace from the years and years of being a bottom third running team.
titans are running the ball but are they winning games?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 08:49 AM)Trademark Wrote: I don’t want Hue, he’s overrated

Hue is what 1-20 in Cleveland. NO ONE should want him.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:42 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Want the best man for the job and do not care what side of the ball he coaches on. 

Just me though. 

In my view, I just want to get as far from Marvin as possible. I think change will revitalize this team, and there is no bigger change than going from defensive minded, uber-conservative Marvin Lewis, to an offensive minded guy. Also, an offensive minded guy will make it a priority to fix this run game, train wreck o-line and dump that ivory tickling lifer.

It has nothing to do with hating Marv or not appreciating him helping turn around the franchise 15 long years ago. It has everything to do with hope for the future in 2018.

(10-11-2017, 02:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm on the Terry Robiskie train. He became the Titans OC in 2016.

2015: 25th Rushing, t-16th YPC (5-way tie)
2016: 3rd Rushing, t-4th YPC (3-way tie)
2017: 9th Rushing, 2nd YPC

Having a great running game would be an amazing change of pace from the years and years of being a bottom third running team.

Those YPC numbers are music to my ears. Great work with Marcus Mariota as well.

That said, he'll be 63 next season and has never been a HC. So he wouldn't have a long shelf life and it also makes you wonder why he's been passed over.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
No Thanks to Hue and our new HC needs to be a disciplinarian from outside the Marvin Lewis coaching tree.............Id be ok retaining Lazor and Pauly G with a new HC but the chances of that are slim to none....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 11:28 AM)corpjet Wrote: No Thanks to Hue and our new HC needs to be a disciplinarian from outside the Marvin Lewis coaching tree.............Id be ok retaining Lazor and Pauly G with a new HC but the chances of that are slim to none....

Maybe Lazor is our next HC.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In my view, I just want to get as far from Marvin as possible. I think change will revitalize this team, and there is no bigger change than going from defensive minded, uber-conservative Marvin Lewis, to an offensive minded guy. Also, an offensive minded guy will make it a priority to fix this run game, train wreck o-line and dump that ivory tickling lifer.

It has nothing to do with hating Marv or not appreciating him helping turn around the franchise 15 long years ago. It has everything to do with hope for the future in 2018.

Those YPC numbers are music to my ears. Great work with Marcus Mariota as well.

That said, he'll be 63 next season and has never been a HC. So he wouldn't have a long shelf life and it also makes you wonder why he's been passed over.

Not sure MB is going to hand over this sort of power you desire to a new coach. 

Marvin has had a few good OL and could have had a better one this year if somebody would pay interior OL. Not sure it is his fault and he certainly uses most early round picks on offensive players and pieces the D together with later round players. 

Now I want what you want badly as well with PA being released. But would only call Marvin uber-conservative when having lead. Then he is the worst, the very worst. But until then, see many shots down field and could probably research the numbers for proof if given the time. But not wasting it here.   

Will be happy if it is an offensive mind (other than Hue) but it is not a requirement for me. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 11:46 AM)Go Cards Wrote: 1. Not sure MB is going to hand over this sort of power you desire to a new coach. 

2. Marvin has had a few good OL and could have had a better one this year if somebody would pay interior OL. Not sure it is his fault and he certainly uses most early round picks on offensive players and pieces the D together with later round players. 

3. Now I want what you want badly as well with PA being released. But would only call Marvin uber-conservative when having lead. Then he is the worst, the very worst. But until then, see many shots down field and could probably research the numbers for proof if given the time. But not wasting it here.   

Will be happy if it is an offensive mind (other than Hue) but it is not a requirement for me. 

1. Well Mike did allow Marvin to completely shape the defensive staff when he was hired, so based on that, I'm assuming he'd let an offensive coach shape the offensive staff at the very least.

2. I agree about the interior line and Mike's tendency to not pay those guys, but maybe an offensive coach would push harder to bring in some talent via the draft. Especially if that becomes a focal point for he and a new OL coach.

3. That's what I meant. Marv gets extremely conservative with a lead. I think it's his defensive mentality. Help the defense stay off the field. But it comes back to bite us sometimes when he gets conservative too soon. He often seems to be protecting a lead even in the 3rd quarter. I think this mentality only gets worse for him in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
I agree with others who believe Bill Lazor could be in the running for a head coach job with the Bengals, if Marvin Lewis is let go. Paulie may be the odds favorite though because he is a player's coach and the defense has been stellar thus far this season.

I appreciate Marvin Lewis changing the culture of the franchise. But I think a change is needed. I also hope the change involves Mike Brown stepping down. One can only hope.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree with others who believe Bill Lazor could be in the running for a head coach job with the Bengals, if Marvin Lewis is let go.  Paulie may be the odds favorite though because he is a player's coach and the defense has been stellar thus far this season.  

I appreciate Marvin Lewis changing the culture of the franchise.  But I think a change is needed.  I also hope the change involves Mike Brown stepping down.  One can only hope.

New coach and new owner. 

That would be the best Christmas ever. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 10:43 PM)Brimey Wrote: Good chance Hue is available, and if Marvin is done after this year, I'd like to see an offensive mind in there.

There's only one person I'd like less than Marvin as head coach.

He's currently 1-20 and coaching in Ohio.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:46 AM)Go Cards Wrote: For the record I do not hate Marvin and am thankful to him for turning this franchise around from the joke it was becoming. He has not been perfect but has had some exciting teams.

Has been a fun ride except playoff wins.

Just think it is becoming stagnant and time for a change.

Hope he goes into a FO job actually

Agree with pretty much everything you have been saying in this thread.   I think Guenther would be a good HC, I'm intrigued by Lazor - but we'll have to see.   I am fine with changing to an offensive minded coach, but I hate to lose Guenther.  He may be safe for another year, but if Lewis is gone (I don't think he will be) I wouldn't want to take a chance on losing him.   I truly believe Guenther's worst moves have been a strong arm from Marvin.

And as much as I love Lewis and appreciate all he's done for this franchise,  It think we need a change.  And I'd be concerned about him controlling the HC from the front office spot.

If Guenther is the guy I think he runs a more open ship - truly open to feedback from other coaches and player, and willing to trust whoever he appoints as the OC.   I think he might continue to have a strong hand in the defensive game plans at least.  He just seems like a smart and creative guy.

I'd hate to lose him.  Of all the guys we've lost the three guys I wish we'd had as a head coach were Zimmer and Joseph - all defensive guys.  And I'd hate to lose Guenther.

I agree that I would not want Hue.   Love the guy, but I'm not sold on him.   I thought he was too cute with his offensive scheme and I think it hurt us.   I think we finally have the OC we have been looking for.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 09:29 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good question. I think he is up to take Marvins seat. However, although he's capable of running a defense, I'm not sure he is capable of running a team?

There were those here who said Paulie could never bring this defense to the level Zimmer had them at, and he has. You never know until you know..... I think he will get a shot somewhere, I would be fine with it being here. Not sure who the successor to DC is though.... if you listened to Hue's press conference yesterday, he said he had all the faith in the world with Kizer, and was behind him 100%. Today they announce Kizer is benched. No thanks to Mr. Jackson coming here....
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 03:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: Pretending PG is still riding Zimmers coat tails is lazy at best. An outright lie is more like it.  I have a feeling PG is gone soon if he's not promoted. Same is true for Lazer if the offense keeps improving and finishes really strong.   

Really? PG is a terrible coordinator. He was a terrible linebackers coach under Zimmer. We’ve played some really bad offenses...like really bad. Browns don’t really need any explanation...Houston started a rookie with about a bland playcalling as you can get and he beat us on a long run with numerous poor missed tackles. Green Bay beat us barely with a whole slew of backups on their o-line. It’s easy to not give up a whole lot of stats against a team when your offense turns the ball over with short fields like they did against Baltimore.

Granted I think we have a lot of talent on our defense and this team is capable of performing as a top defense in the league but PG is really good at calling some head scratching plays every game. If our d-line isn’t getting pressure than forget about it. Things like dropping our DEs in coverage never seem to pan out. He absolutely still rides the coattail of Zimmer. I really can’t stand when he blitzes but has his corners 7-10 yards off the receivers and when it’s 3rd and short and the corners are 7-10 yards off the line of scrimmage. It’s just pure situational playcalling that he messes up time and time again. He doesn’t disguise his defense nearly enough...so much so that I can almost always predict what other offenses will do based upon the situation and formation he’s running.

I really feel like the guys like Atkins make PG look better than he really is. There’s a very noticeable difference when we have different guys subbed in. I know there will always be a slight drop off but it’s not slight with us. A seasoned vet QB and good coaching will always outcoach and outplay PG’s defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 10:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hue is what 1-20 in Cleveland. NO ONE should want him.

Yeah 1-20 with an NCAA roster, give him a decent team and see what he can do
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:11 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yeah 1-20 with an NCAA roster, give him a decent team and see what he can do

That's just it though. He has some input into that roster too.

Here he's going to be a major part of the scouting process. It isn't just a matter of coaching here. You have to scout too.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There were those here who said Paulie could never bring this defense to the level Zimmer had them at, and he has. You never know until you know..... I think he will get a shot somewhere, I would be fine with it being here. Not sure who the successor to DC is though.... if you listened to Hue's press conference yesterday, he said he had all the faith in the world with Kizer, and was behind him 100%. Today they announce Kizer is benched. No thanks to Mr. Jackson coming here....

That's what he's supposed to say lol what you want him to say? The FO handcuffed me with a pathetic roster. We picked the last somewhat capable QB in the draft cause he was all that was left and we needed the arm. He was supposed to be raw and need time to learn but he's the best of a bad situation. He wouldn't be starting on any other team in the league. Even his college coach said he needed more time to mature 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's just it though. He has some input into that roster too.

Here he's going to be a major part of the scouting process. It isn't just a matter of coaching here. You have to scout too.

That's true, but when you bring in a baseball FO that wants to tank like it's the MLB then all you get is draft classes to make your team. He's had what, 2 drafts? That's not much time to draft AND develop his players. That said I haven't been crazy about some of their picks so far 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There were those here who said Paulie could never bring this defense to the level Zimmer had them at, and he has. You never know until you know..... I think he will get a shot somewhere, I would be fine with it being here. Not sure who the successor to DC is though.... if you listened to Hue's press conference yesterday, he said he had all the faith in the world with Kizer, and was behind him 100%. Today they announce Kizer is benched. No thanks to Mr. Jackson coming here....

Hue is not  a good HC. He has proven that already.

Reply/Quote