Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had dinner next to Frank Pollock
(01-24-2021, 01:57 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: IMHO, LaRosa's puts too much sugar in their sauce. But it's not bad. I grew up on the west side. Used to take dates to the original LaRosa's alot. 

That was exactly what my grandpa (a very old school Italian from Chicago) always said about their pizza.

Also, fellow Westsider here. The Boudinot location is our go to if we do want LaRosa’s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Came up to Cincy to see my brother today, and we went for an early dinner at LaRosa's out in Amelia. Frank Pollock was sitting with a lady at the table next to us. Seemed very mild mannered, quiet, and polite. Still pretty well put together physically as well.

I would have been "that cripple" that rolled by him, made sure he saw me, and, when he said hi (nobody can just let a smiling cripple roll by without at least saying "hi:), I would have typed back "hi, how are you," and just struck up a normal conversation.

After all that, I might have typed "I'm a BIG fan!  I can't wait to see how the line looks under you!"

ThumbsUp

LaRosa's is so MONEY!  Now I want a pepperoni and sausage calzone with banana peppers on the side and a small pizza with spicy sausage and banana peppers on the side!  I just started getting mushrooms on my pies so maybe mushrooms, too!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Came up to Cincy to see my brother today, and we went for an early dinner at LaRosa's out in Amelia. Frank Pollock was sitting with a lady at the table next to us. Seemed very mild mannered, quiet, and polite. Still pretty well put together physically as well.

Rep for being able to pick Frank Pollack outta a crowd. Now that I think about it, I don't have the slightest clue what Jim Turner looks like either. I wouldn't be positive that I was looking at Paul Alexander or Mary's brother from There's Something About Mary...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 02:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was exactly what my grandpa (a very old school Italian from Chicago) always said about their pizza.

Also, fellow Westsider here. The Boudinot location is our go to if we do want LaRosa’s.

Yep, wasn't Boudinot the original one? They eventually built one in Miami Heights, but it wasn't as nice. Just sort of felt like any other pizza store. 

I haven't heard "Boudinot" in ages. Brings back memories from senior year post-homecoming game. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 02:28 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Yep, wasn't Boudinot the original one? They eventually built one in Miami Heights, but it wasn't as nice. Just sort of felt like any other pizza store. 

I haven't heard "Boudinot" in ages. Brings back memories from senior year post-homecoming game. 

It is indeed.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How did he handle the ketchup bottle?

Gold lol
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 02:19 AM)jason Wrote: Rep for being able to pick Frank Pollack outta a crowd. 

I think his "Frank The Tank" shirt he was wearing was the dead give away.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 01:55 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: In case you ever venture out to Salida, CO, you need to try Amica's. Their pizza is probably the best I've ever had.  Plus, they're a micro-brewery.  :andy:

I looked at their website. We went to a pizza place similar here called “Roots by Tree Hill Farms.” I enjoyed it as it’s not your cookie cutter pizza selection or toppings and sauces. I liked it, my wife not so much. The sauce was a little sweet for her. 

Reply/Quote
Little Ceasers is the best pizza, with the worst ingredients. Jerry

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg4nu7UuUoMly3qkKpzis...w&usqp=CAU]

PS. I was not paid for an honest review of their pizza.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just saw Frank Tweeted out that he had dinner next to Sled; said he seemed like a jerk.

Ok, that was funny.  And I don't think Sled is a jerk in any way, but it still made me laugh pretty hard.  
Reply/Quote
Cool story, Sled. While on the subject of pizzas, I won't say it is the best, but like Skyline, there are times i crave a Marion's pizza from here in Centerville.

Talk about nostalgia....when I was a kid and Karen didn't have to work in the morning, all the summer swim teams would go to Marions (there were three around town then, more now). My first real kiss was in back of Marions. My first boob might have been there, too. Swimming paid for my college, but those experiences of going to Marians are some of the best memories. We would see the kids from other teams amd talk about how fast some of the older kids were and just all sit around and have a great time.

As far as my absolute fav pizzas go, I would have to say the Mellow Mushroom has some amazing pizza, and Myles Pizza Pub at BGSU was also amazing. They closed, but I heard they sold the "recipe" to another restaurant so you can still get it.

Myles pizza is so huge. A large feels like it weighs 10 lbs. My roommates and I were some pretty big eaters, and two larges wouldn't be finished by 6 guys. And we were 9.000 calorie a day guys. The pizza had a caramelized cheese on the top and TONS of ingredients. They had something called the Chinese Chicken Pizza that had tons of pulled chicken, teriyaki sauce, and almond slivers. Sounds weird, it was awesome. They also had a breakfast pizza that had bacon, eggs, and sausage.

My dad and I used to stop there on the way home from attending the Detroit Auto Show each year in January. Now, I guess it is held in the summer? Covid took care of this year's....My dad and I had been going to that show together for over 30 years.

If you get a chance, try Marions or Myles Pizza. You won't regret it.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of pizza, anyone remember Zino's Firehouse in Clifton? I loved that place when I was going to UC
Reply/Quote
Have any of you ever had a MOD pizza?

It's like a sub shop where you tell them what sauce, cheese, and toppings(which are unlimited)which they assemble in front of you.

It takes about 10 minutes in the fired oven and your thin/med crust pie is ready.

Pretty good and quickly made to order. They also have sauces for the top, or dipping slices.

Of course they have signature pizzas but creating your own is where it's at.  Especially for no additional cost!

https://modpizza.com/

[Image: MOD-Pizza-Interior_Hillsboro-OR-1024x681.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if anyone else on this board went to Eastern KY University, but in the early 80's "Archie's" pizza in Richmond was like heaven in a pie. They had the dudes that spun the dough and threw it in the air. Probably THE best pizza I've ever had, and they served chilled Beer pitchers to anyone old enough to have a library card. Ah, the good old days when EKU was a Playboy Magazine Top 5 party school.......
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 12:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Have any of you ever had a MOD pizza?

It's like a sub shop where you tell them what sauce, cheese, and toppings(which are unlimited)which they assemble in front of you.

It takes about 10 minutes in the fired oven and your thin/med crust pie is ready.

Pretty good and quickly made to order. They also have sauces for the top, or dipping slices.

Of course they have signature pizzas but creating your own is where it's at.  Especially for no additional cost!

https://modpizza.com/

[Image: MOD-Pizza-Interior_Hillsboro-OR-1024x681.jpg]

they are like buffet joints, like chipotle and subway and everything else that is out there doing the same. Their pizzas are good btw.
Reply/Quote
Whenever I make the trip back to NKY, I'd prefer a Papa Dino's pizza to LaRosa's...although I think their pizza is much better than people on here are saying.

All that said, I think LaRosa's calzones can't be touched. Pepperoni, Ground Beef and 3 cheese. Yum.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 12:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know if anyone else on this board went to Eastern KY University, but in the early 80's "Archie's" pizza in Richmond was like heaven in a pie. They had the dudes that spun the dough and threw it in the air. Probably THE best pizza I've ever had, and they served chilled Beer pitchers to anyone old enough to have a library card. Ah, the good old days when EKU was a Playboy Magazine Top 5 party school.......

Woke up on the sidewalk once in Richmond. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Interesting where these threads can go. I think that whatever your go-to pizza joint was in your teens/20's will always live in your heart as the best. I went to Ohio Wesleyan in the late 60's and it was Pizza Villa on S. Sandusky St. in Delaware. Sunday nights when the fraternity house kitchens were closed you could hardly get in. Then for the occasional trip to Columbus, it was the Varsity Club right next to the Horseshoe. Went back not long ago for a friend's induction into Ohio football coach's hall of fame, ended the night at the VC. When some kid bartender told us it was closing time, we told him we were closing this place down before he was a gleam in his daddy's eye.
Reply/Quote
Back in the 90s I used to travel to southern Ohio to visit my girlfriend's family and we used to get Giovanni's pizza when there.

It was pretty good but I want to say they might've gotten greasy the last time I had one.

Anyone try that place? They're quite an expansive chain now and am sure they vary from location to location.
Reply/Quote
I will say that when they served LaRosa's at PBS, I didn't care for it. But at their restaurants, I love it.
Reply/Quote