Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had dinner next to Frank Pollock
SO are we going to have a pizza discussion on a Bengals board without mentioning End Zone? I hear they have really good wings.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How did he handle the ketchup bottle?

LMAO! Best Reply!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 04:44 PM)samhain Wrote: SO are we going to have a pizza discussion on a Bengals board without mentioning End Zone?  I hear they have really good wings.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 03:59 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Back in the 90s I used to travel to southern Ohio to visit my girlfriend's family and we used to get Giovanni's pizza when there.

It was pretty good but I want to say they might've gotten greasy the last time I had one.

Anyone try that place?  They're quite an expansive chain now and am sure they vary from location to location.

Giovanni's vary a bit from location to location, as they are independently owned and operated. Some are pretty good, others not so much.  A college friend bought the one in Rio Grande Oh.  He said that he still uses the same recipes and purchases his ingredients from the same vendors as the original owners of that local shop.  I'm moving back to Rio Grande in a year or two, and found it important to verify that the taste was going to be the same as I remembered.  Giovanni's was my go to joint for many years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 03:59 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Back in the 90s I used to travel to southern Ohio to visit my girlfriend's family and we used to get Giovanni's pizza when there.

It was pretty good but I want to say they might've gotten greasy the last time I had one.

Anyone try that place?  They're quite an expansive chain now and am sure they vary from location to location.

(01-24-2021, 11:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Giovanni's vary a bit from location to location, as they are independently owned and operated. Some are pretty good, others not so much.  A college friend bought the one in Rio Grande Oh.  He said that he still uses the same recipes and purchases his ingredients from the same vendors as the original owners of that local shop.  I'm moving back to Rio Grande in a year or two, and found it important to verify that the taste was going to be the same as I remembered.  Giovanni's was my go to joint for many years.

I just rented a new office space next to Giovanni's in Fairborn, Ohio. I believe that is the original one.
Reply/Quote
In Lexington we go to a restaurant called Saul Goods. It isn't a pizza place but they have pizzas on their menu. The Saul Meats (all the meats) is the best pizza I've ever had. They had three locations in Lexington but they're down to just one now (thanks Covid pandemic).
Reply/Quote
Ahhh, I don't live in the Cincinnati area anymore. Oh how I miss LaRosa's pizza.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 12:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know if anyone else on this board went to Eastern KY University, but in the early 80's "Archie's" pizza in Richmond was like heaven in a pie. They had the dudes that spun the dough and threw it in the air. Probably THE best pizza I've ever had, and they served chilled Beer pitchers to anyone old enough to have a library card. Ah, the good old days when EKU was a Playboy Magazine Top 5 party school.......

EKU alum here....that was before my days as an undergrad, but I remember their pizza. Tom's too. Apollo's is still around, and has started expanding over the last few years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Anyone try Gionino’s? I believe the closest one from Cincy is in Dayton. I know they’re scattered throughout Ohio. They serve Italian fried chicken as well. I’m not from Ohio but I always get me some Jet’s when I’m near the city.
Reply/Quote
Joe's pizzeria in Dayton, OH kicks some serious ass. Best curled-up pepperoni's you'll find.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 04:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: EKU alum here....that was before my days as an undergrad, but I remember their pizza. Tom's too. Apollo's is still around, and has started expanding over the last few years.

Some Frat brothers of mine were attempting to track down the original "Archie's" recipes and were going to reopen it. Last I heard they had a lead on some of the owners, but not sure how far they got with the idea.
Reply/Quote

Back in the early 80s I used to go to a family owned joint in Norwood, OH owned by the DeLuca family.   Lot of sports figures used to frequent it back in the 70s.   They had several original Bengals helmets and jerseys and I think they had Jim Otto's (Raider's center) jersey too.

It was pretty greasy, but it was SO good.  Best Italian sausage on a pizza ever.   A true gut bomb but worth every searing remembrance on the lower esophagus.  Pretty sure I permanently damaged the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus.  But it was so good I'd eat a large by myself when I was young and still burned calories.

The place was called Sorrento's.  Most of the family is dead (all heart attacks I believe) and they had a major fire there, but it reopened by someone from the family a couple of years ago.   I have not been back to sample it.

Anyone old enough to remember it?
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Myles pizza is so huge.  A large feels like it weighs 10 lbs.  My roommates and I were some pretty big eaters, and two larges wouldn't be finished by 6 guys.  And we were 9.000 calorie a day guys.  The pizza had a caramelized cheese on the top and TONS of ingredients.  They had something called the Chinese Chicken Pizza that had tons of pulled chicken, teriyaki sauce, and almond slivers.  Sounds weird, it was awesome.  They also had a breakfast pizza that had bacon, eggs, and sausage.  

My dad and I used to stop there on the way home from attending the Detroit Auto Show each year in January.  Now, I guess it is held in the summer?  Covid took care of this year's....My dad and I had been going to that show together for over 30 years.  

If you get a chance, try Marions or Myles Pizza.  You won't regret it.

I was visiting a friend in Portland about 15 years ago for a Seahawks game and he took me to Flying Pie pizza which was only two blocks away from his house, so we walked. I bought two beers for while we waited and three extra large pizzas to go, one was just a cheese pizza for the kids and it shocked me with a $105 bill. One of the pizzas did have shrimp on it but that was a pretty big tab for just three pizzas and a couple of beers, but I was quiet and said nothing about it. After having to carry two of the pizzas for two blocks, my arms were getting pretty tired and I'm a strong dude. I was there for three days and two nights and we still didn't finish off the pizzas even after snacking on them the entire time. On the way out the door to the airport, and grabbing a slice for the flight home, it hit me. They didn't rip me off, I ripped THEM off. I've never seen a non-deep dish pizza that was so thick and full of ingredients that was also thoroughly cooked. I now judge all pizzas based off of comparisons to those three pizzas.

My Step-Dad (RIP) built a bar in Covington in the early to mid-70s(The Distillery) and many of of his patrons would order pizza to be delivered while they played pool, poker or horseshoes so he decided to put in a pizza oven to supply his customers. He said it was a big mistake because once the local apartment buildings learned that there was fresh pizza in the neighborhood, he went from a bar owner that was often a bartender(a job he loved) to a full-time pizza cook. They would see him show up and before he could unlock the door, he could hear the phone ringing inside. He never thought that it would take off like it did so he put the oven in downstairs and he couldn't hire a pizza cook because the entire downstairs floor was his office and VIP room where the big money poker games and pool was played. Some kids got to eat pizza maybe once a week . . . I had pizza brought home three or four times a week. Good times. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:43 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I was visiting a friend in Portland about 15 years ago for a Seahawks game and he took me to Flying Pie pizza which was only two blocks away from his house, so we walked. I bought two beers for while we waited and three extra large pizzas to go, one was just a cheese pizza for the kids and it shocked me with a $105 bill. One of the pizzas did have shrimp on it but that was a pretty big tab for just three pizzas and a couple of beers, but I was quiet and said nothing about it. After having to carry two of the pizzas for two blocks, my arms were getting pretty tired and I'm a strong dude. I was there for three days and two nights and we still didn't finish off the pizzas even after snacking on them the entire time. On the way out the door to the airport, and grabbing a slice for the flight home, it hit me. They didn't rip me off, I ripped THEM off. I've never seen a non-deep dish pizza that was so thick and full of ingredients that was also thoroughly cooked. I now judge all pizzas based off of comparisons to those three pizzas.

My Step-Dad (RIP) built a bar in Covington in the early to mid-70s(The Distillery) and many of of his patrons would order pizza to be delivered while they played pool, poker or horseshoes so he decided to put in a pizza oven to supply his customers. He said it was a big mistake because once the local apartment buildings learned that there was fresh pizza in the neighborhood, he went from a bar owner that was often a bartender(a job he loved) to a full-time pizza cook. They would see him show up and before he could unlock the door, he could hear the phone ringing inside. He never thought that it would take off like it did so he put the oven in downstairs and he couldn't hire a pizza cook because the entire downstairs floor was his office and VIP room where the big money poker games and pool was played. Some kids got to eat pizza maybe once a week . . . I had pizza brought home three or four times a week. Good times. 

Cool story.  Yeah, if there was any pizza leftover, it was AWESOME heated up the next day.  Whenever my folks made it up to BG for a swim meet (which was actually quite common), they would take my roomates and I to Myles and we would kill one pizza and take one home to eat the next day.  

There was a place in Toledo called "The Distillery" in the late 80s and early 90s.  Big place.  I worked up there in the summers and would usually end up there in the evening.  
Reply/Quote
Man, I miss LaRosa's.  It was also my first job and while there are better pies out there, it's still pretty good.  We've got a pretty good NY style pizza place around the corner from us here in Florida that's every bit as good as some of the pizza I've had in NY.  Lately though, we've been eating Jet's Pizza which is Detroit style deep dish and it's some good stuff.

Thank god we have a Skyline though. I missed that when we lived in Colorado.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2021, 11:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Go to an actual good pizza place like Adriatico’s... Tongue

I've been to Cincinnati once, back in 11/11/12 when the Giants were in town. I made a road trip out of it with me and my co-worker (a Giants fan). 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Back when I lived in the Queen City, Pomodori's pizza in Clifton was my go to place. Hand tossed wood fired pizza at it's best! That said often times I liked to have a simple cheese pizza from LaRosa's, very good. My girlfriend really misses the steak hoagy's mostly from Papa Dino's in Florence Ky. can't find a steak pizza hoagy in California that we have found. I like those square pizzas a Jet as well. Buy Cincinnati chili packets online to make chili cheese dip on game days and for 4 ways. And for my favorite Cincinnati treat Graeter's raspberry chocolate chip can be bought at Ralph's a local Kroger owned grocer.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 03:40 AM)WestCoastBengal Wrote: Back when I lived in the Queen City, Pomodori's pizza in Clifton was my go to place. Hand tossed wood fired pizza at it's best! That said often times I liked to have a simple cheese pizza from LaRosa's, very good. My girlfriend really misses the steak hoagy's mostly from Papa Dino's in Florence Ky. can't find a steak pizza hoagy in California that we have found. I like those square pizzas a Jet as well. Buy Cincinnati chili packets online to make chili cheese dip on game days and for 4 ways. And for my favorite Cincinnati treat Graeter's raspberry chocolate chip can be bought at Ralph's a local  Kroger owned grocer.

Those Cincinnati Chili packets are awesome. My Mom had a pretty good recipe that she picked up from McCormick's Spices website that she used for years but once those packets became available that was what she would make because it was much easier.

Sometimes she'll make a thicker version and most of that is used for nachos and as a dip.

Place a wide but thin layer of nacho chips on a plate
Spread a light amount of cheese and spoon small amounts of chili throughout the layer

Repeat those steps two more times but each time make the layers of chips not as wide
Final layer of cheese is the largest amount of the whole process
90 seconds to two minutes in a microwave
If preferred, top off with splashes of hot sauce, diced tomatoes and diced onions.
Only sick individuals put guacamole on nachos
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
One time at Speedway in Fairfax,Ohio I saw Mike Brown pumping his gas. He was a little ahead of me and walked in before me to pay. He paid with cash which was super Old school to me. Kinda caught me off guard. He left, and I said to the cashier " Was that Mike Brown ?" He replied "yeah, he comes in all the time."

BTW Bilbo's Pizza in Kalamazoo, MI tops my list so far.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 10:14 AM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: One time at Speedway in Fairfax,Ohio I saw Mike Brown pumping his gas. He was a little ahead of me and walked in before me to pay. He paid with cash which was super Old school to me. Kinda caught me off guard. He left, and I said to the cashier " Was that Mike Brown ?" He replied "yeah, he comes in all the time."

BTW Bilbo's Pizza in Kalamazoo, MI tops my list so far.

At first I thought you were going to say he bought pizza at Speedway!

Then I wondered what free agent prospect was in town.Smirk
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote