Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haha watch this video
https://amp.indystar.com/amp/804759001

The story speaks for itself but the video attached is pure gold.

Gregg Doyle is a must follow on Twitter even though he writes about the colts.

Quote:Doyel: The Colts had to dig deep to lose this game

Gregg DoyelUpdated 2 hours ago
Story highlights

Colts at Texans, 1 p.m. Sunday, CBS
CINCINNATI – Tarell Basham was strutting and dancing, because that’s what you do when you play for the Indianapolis Colts. You strut and dance, preen and pose. You don’t deserve to do any of that – my God, you’re the Colts – but this team routinely does the implausible. Even now, two months into a season that rolls along like a blooper reel, this team celebrates itself.

Basham, a rookie linebacker, had just chased down Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton on third-and-6 for his first career sack. It was midway through the fourth quarter of a game the Colts were winning by six points. He’s a rookie, he was feeling good, and he was dancing. Might have been the Funky Chicken. Whatever it was, it was too soon.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett (7) is sacked by Cincinnati Bengals defensive end ...more

Mykal McEldowney/IndyStar

Because the Colts were about to Colt all over themselves.

To lose this game, the Colts had to dig deep. They had to call a stupid play, they had to execute it with extraordinary incompetence, and then they had to hope the similarly awful Bengals didn’t Bengal all over themselves.

This 2017 season being the imperfect storm that it is, all of those things happened. And this being the Colts, it happened immediately.

Two plays after Basham sacked Dalton and did the Funky Whatever, two plays after he was chased to the sideline by teammates smacking him playfully on the head – where he was engulfed by still more teammates pounding happily on his body – the Colts turned victory into a 24-23 loss to the Bengals.

You saw the decisive play, I’m guessing: Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett threw a short pass toward The Invisible Man, played this week and apparently every week by receiver T.Y. Hilton. Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap batted it high into the air, chased it down and rambled 16 yards into the end zone for touchdown.

Afterward, after the Colts found the Charlie Brown-iest way to lose a game, coach Chuck Pagano was despondent. A week ago, after a 27-0 loss to Jacksonville, Pagano stalked into his post-game news conference in a fury, disgusted and seething and glaring wide-eyed at reporters as he was saying things like “when you get your (butt) knocked down, you get up off the mat and you fight. Period. You don’t tuck your tail like a coward. You fight.”

A week later, after this 24-23 loss to the Bengals, Pagano was morose and muttering and making no eye contact when he was saying things like “this is a tough one” and “sometimes it doesn’t work out” and “we got the short end of the stick again.”

Pagano was miserable not just because the Colts should have won this game, but because he thinks they deserved to win. And let’s be clear: They did not deserve to win. Neither did the Bengals. Look, we’ve all seen games where we’re thinking: Too bad somebody had to lose.

This was the opposite.

Too bad somebody had to win.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) is sacked by Indianapolis Colts defensive end Henry Anderson (96)... more

Mykal McEldowney/IndyStar

Pagano didn’t see it that way, but then, that's Chuck. He sees what he wants. He thought the Colts played well enough to win, and he wasn’t the only one in that locker room on Sunday.

“I think we played all three phases well today,” said Brissett.

“We did everything right, but couldn’t come up with a win,” said Hilton.

“We did a lot of good things,” said Pagano.

The defense was excellent, but the offense produced just 331 yards – which over the course of this season would rank 28th in the NFL – thanks to a receiving corps that really needs to be traded for a large pizza or whatever General Manager Chris Ballard can get for these guys before Tuesday’s trade deadline. On special teams, the Colts had one punt blocked (it led to a Cincinnati field goal) and allowed another punt to be returned 29 yards. Colts return men brought back three kickoffs for an 18-yard average.

The Colts did not play “well” in all three phases. They did not do everything, or too terribly much of anything, “right.” They didn’t do “a lot” of good things. But enough about that. Let’s talk about the play that decided this game.

First, the call. Deep in their own territory, with a young quarterback who has been under duress all day, on second-and-6 with 7:05 left and the clock needing to churn, the Colts called for a dangerous pass play. That’s on offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, but Pagano is wearing a headset for a reason, right? Maybe he’s not listening to Chud. Maybe he’s listening to Bobby McFerrin singing “Don’t Worry Be Happy.”

Whatever he was hearing, Pagano let Brissett try a high-risk, minimal-reward pass that the 6-6 Dunlap swallowed whole. Who knew that might happen? Other than everybody, I mean. Dunlap led the NFL in 2016 with 15 passes batted down – seven more than anyone else – and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he scolds Dunlap because he tries to bat passes “way too much.”

So: Stupid play call.

Share MediaShow Caption
Poor pass, obviously, by Brissett. And poor blocking by Colts guard Joe Haeg, whose job on the play is to keep Dunlap’s hands engaged. It took a village to screw up that play, but the Colts found a way. They’re the village people.

Thing is, there were some bright spots for the Colts. Tight end Jack Doyle caught 12 passes for 121 yards and a TD. Defensive tackle Henry Anderson blocked a field goal and recorded a sack and had two other tackles for loss. Running back Marlon Mack turned a short pass into a 24-yard TD burst. Cornerback Pierre Desir chased down Bengals running back Joe Mixon after 65 yards to prevent a touchdown, and spent much of the day helping the Colts hold All-Pro receiver A.J. Green to three catches for 27 yards.

Plus: Frank Gore had 101 yards from scrimmage to become the ninth player in NFL history to reach 17,000; the other eight are in the Hall of Fame. Gore also passed Barry Sanders for sixth all-time in carries, another list where everyone ahead of him is enshrined in Canton. Speaking of Canton, kicker Adam Vinatieri moved into a tie with Gary Anderson for second on the all-time NFL scoring list with 2,434 points.

Wait, what am I doing? Finding the bright side in a regurgitated game the Colts somehow lost to the horrible Bengals to drop to 2-6? Maybe I’ve been around Pagano too much.

Remember how he walked into his news conference Sunday, despondent and muttering in a monotone as he stared downward? Well, he talked his way into a better mood. By the end of his news conference, the Chuck we know was back and in business.

“If you don’t give up, it will turn,” Pagano said, breaking into a smile and making eye contact around the room. “When that is, I don’t have a crystal ball. But I know if you go the other way, I know what the outcome will be. That’s not this team. They will do never that.”

Don’t worry, is what I’m here to tell Colts fans.

Be happy.

Find IndyStar columnist Gregg Doyel on Twitter: @GreggDoyelStar or at facebook.com/gregg.doyel.
Reply/Quote
Lol, basically, the Bengals suck but the Cots suck even more.

Pretty spot on analysis really. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 12:45 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lol, basically, the Bengals suck but the Cots suck even more.

Pretty spot on analysis really. Smirk

I had heard he roasts the Colts every week. I will read his game breakdowns now for the rest of the year.
Reply/Quote
Greg Doyel used to write articles for CBSsports.com. He's hilarious and pulls no punches. Unfortunately, they replaced him with guys like Bill Reiter, who is "PC" and writes scummy click-bait articles.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have to disagree with the statement about Brissett being "under duress all day"...Until someone called in the "B" squad of Lawson and Smith, he had all friggin' day to let a big, slow TE get wide open. MJ gets no pressure and neither does Dunlap. I don't know why, but they should be the backups and and Smith and Willis should be rotating in at LDE as well as RDE with Lawson.

I know Dunlap made the play of the day, but his pass rush most of the game was nonexistent. His sack was where the QB scrambled toward him, then upfield, for a loss of about a yard, but it was credited as a sack. I like Dunlap's ability way more than MJs, but I don't see the effort. Wonder why? (Golf clap, let's go!- I have chills)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to disagree with the statement about Brissett being "under duress all day"...Until someone called in the "B" squad of Lawson and Smith, he had all friggin' day to let a big, slow TE get wide open. MJ gets no pressure and neither does Dunlap. I don't know why, but they should be the backups and and Smith and Willis should be rotating in at LDE as well as RDE with Lawson.

I know Dunlap made the play of the day, but his pass rush most of the game was nonexistent. His sack was where the QB scrambled toward him, then upfield, for a loss of about a yard, but it was credited as a sack. I like Dunlap's ability way more than MJs, but I don't see the effort. Wonder why? (Golf clap, let's go!- I have chills)

Um, you did watch yesterday, correct?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he scolds Dunlap because he tries to bat passes “way too much.”

IF THIS IS TRUE THEN SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUNCH MARVIN LEWIS IN THE FACE.
Reply/Quote
I think Colts deserved to win yesterday.

They played with a backup QB

Their lines were better than ours on both sides.

Their DC completely outcoached our OC and took advantage of our awful o line with pass rushing schemes and calls on our running plays.

They lost on a completely fluke play.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to disagree with the statement about Brissett being "under duress all day"...Until someone called in the "B" squad of Lawson and Smith, he had all friggin' day to let a big, slow TE get wide open.  MJ gets no pressure and neither does Dunlap.  I don't know why, but they should be the backups and and Smith and Willis should be rotating in at LDE as well as RDE with Lawson.

I know Dunlap made the play of the day, but his pass rush most of the game was nonexistent.  His sack was where the QB scrambled toward him, then upfield, for a loss of about a yard, but it was credited as a sack.  I like Dunlap's ability way more than MJs, but I don't see the effort.  Wonder why?  (Golf clap, let's go!- I have chills)

Agreed. You look at a box score and see 4 sacks and you'd think there was pressure all day, but there really wasn't. We got a couple sacks very early, disappeared for a long stretch, then added a couple more late.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Um, you did watch yesterday, correct?

You were the one that used to break down PFF rankings...why don't you ask them how he did?  That pick six was huge, but most of the game he was a non-factor, like I said in the original post. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:03 AM)Tomkat Wrote: and Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he scolds Dunlap because he tries to bat passes “way too much.”

IF THIS IS TRUE THEN SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUNCH MARVIN LEWIS IN THE FACE.

One of the rare occurrences where I agree with Marv.  It isn't that he is looking to bat passes, it is that he stops rushing the passer.  
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 03:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You were the one that used to break down PFF rankings...why don't you ask them how he did? That pick six was huge, but most of the game he was a non-factor, like I said in the original post.

He was third ranked with an 84 or something Wink

He had over hald a dozen pressures and bullrushed his man into Brissett twice.

Then there was the sack, another batted pass and the pick 6.

Super disruptive, like always. Now, the right side on the other hand...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree that was an unwatchable dumpster fire where both teams deserved to be hung.
Reply/Quote
You all make it sound as if the Bengals were actually trying to win. No, they're merely trying to screw up the draft pick order and can't even do that right..
Congratulations Bengals. You will pick behind Cleveland and Indianapolis and a few others..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:05 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Greg Doyel used to write articles for CBSsports.com. He's hilarious and pulls no punches. Unfortunately, they replaced him with guys like Bill Reiter, who is "PC" and writes scummy click-bait articles.

Greg Doyle is a putz. He was a local Cincinnati sports radio talk show host (not from the area so he's happy to sensationalize to dump on Cincy teams) and was canned when the stations syndicated. He's a notoriously bitter, bitter Bengals hater and takes every chance he can get to crap on Mike Brown and the Bengals organization. There's a reason the station kept Mo Egger and Ken Broo. Doyle was lucky to have ended up on CBS's site for a time and now writes for a rag. He's the Dave Shula of Cincy talk radio. Given far too much tread.

And before anyone accuses me of being a homer just because Doyle craps on the Bengals, I'm all for free press and guys giving their opinions good or bad. I don't think everything the Bengals do is great, nor awful. But Greg Doyle is a hack, knee jerk basher, and the air waves have been better since he's been gone.

I respect the local guys who have stuck it out and have worked their butts off to bring Cincy sports fans podcasts and now a day time lunch hour as well as after work stuff. Their work is starting to crack back open doors that shut over a decade ago and I'm really happy for any successes that come their way. They're passionate guys who, regardless if I agree with them or not, really effort to provide content. Doyle's a low hanging fruit picker who usually ends up with balls in his mouth.

On IHeart Mo & James have a ton of Podcasts and update almost daily. Also on IHeart the newspaper guys have the Bengals Beat Podcast as well. All of that content is really good. Greg Doyle... is not. He looks like a douche... and is, in fact, a douche.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 06:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Greg Doyle is a putz. He was a local Cincinnati sports radio talk show host (not from the area so he's happy to sensationalize to dump on Cincy teams) and was canned when the stations syndicated. He's a notoriously bitter, bitter Bengals hater and takes every chance he can get to crap on Mike Brown and the Bengals organization. There's a reason the station kept Mo Egger and Ken Broo. Doyle was lucky to have ended up on CBS's site for a time and now writes for a rag. He's the Dave Shula of Cincy talk radio. Given far too much tread.

And before anyone accuses me of being a homer just because Doyle craps on the Bengals, I'm all for free press and guys giving their opinions good or bad. I don't think everything the Bengals do is great, nor awful. But Greg Doyle is a hack, knee jerk basher, and the air waves have been better since he's been gone.

I respect the local guys who have stuck it out and have worked their butts off to bring Cincy sports fans podcasts and now a day time lunch hour as well as after work stuff. Their work is starting to crack back open doors that shut over a decade ago and I'm really happy for any successes that come their way. They're passionate guys who, regardless if I agree with them or not, really effort to provide content. Doyle's a low hanging fruit picker who usually ends up with balls in his mouth.

On IHeart Mo & James have a ton of Podcasts and update almost daily. Also on IHeart the newspaper guys have the Bengals Beat Podcast as well. All of that content is really good. Greg Doyle... is not. He looks like a douche... and is, in fact, a douche.

[Image: latest?cb=20150201114959]

Seriously though...we could probably use more guys like that in Cincy media. Mike Brown is a joke of an owner and should be called out more often.

When I lived around Cincy (moved away in 2011), I always noticed how soft the local media is on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Quote:and then they had to hope the similarly awful Bengals didn’t Bengal all over themselves.

Whom amongst us hasn't Bengaled all over themselves a time or two? At least while drunk, I mean.

Viewing that game Sunday should could have been substituted for waterboarding terrorist suspects. The crowd was 'meh,' the whole game swung on a fluke turnover and a crap team barely survived a shit team. By the Detroit game PBS will be the emptiest stadium not in the witness protection program.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 03:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was third ranked with an 84 or something Wink

He had over hald a dozen pressures and bullrushed his man into Brissett twice.

Then there was the sack, another batted pass and the pick 6.

Super disruptive, like always. Now, the right side on the other hand...

I think that rating was inflated by the pick six, which was huge.  He had a sack where the QB basically scrambled towards him and was touched down just short of the LOS, but still technically a sack.  His "pressures" were very inconsistent and he lost containment on his side for the rushing attack many times as well.  I am telling you in person, the entire defensive line got gashed over and over.  It was putrid, aside from Dunlap's one big play.

The series after the pick six, they looked fired up and were blowing the Colts off the ball and Smith made a few big plays at the end.  All the Colts needed was the 35 yard line or so, but the D finally stood their ground.  I think it helped having Chris Smith in the game.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 06:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: latest?cb=20150201114959]

Seriously though...we could probably use more guys like that in Cincy media. Mike Brown is a joke of an owner and should be called out more often.

When I lived around Cincy (moved away in 2011), I always noticed how soft the local media is on the Bengals.
Agreed on them being softer towards the Bengals. However, I feel like they're forced to be nice. I remember someone was critical of the team and his press credential was pulled. He wrote about it, and then he got it back with the team citing a miscommunication. That was the only mention. If the Bengals pulled credentials on the press, it won't make a blip on the national radar. Brad Johansen was trying to find out how long Marvin's extension was during the infamous press conference. He was suddenly removed from the radio broadcasts. Not a blip on the radar. So softball questions are lobbed so there's some kind of coverage of the team.
Plus, would anyone expect Mike or Marvin to actually answer any hardball questions? They would brush them off and/or giggle to something else.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 09:05 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed on them being softer towards the Bengals. However, I feel like they're forced to be nice. I remember someone was critical of the team and his press credential was pulled. He wrote about it, and then he got it back with the team citing a miscommunication. That was the only mention. If the Bengals pulled credentials on the press, it won't make a blip on the national radar. Brad Johansen was trying to find out how long Marvin's extension was during the infamous press conference. He was suddenly removed from the radio broadcasts. Not a blip on the radar. So softball questions are lobbed so there's some kind of coverage of the team.
Plus, would anyone expect Mike or Marvin to actually answer any hardball questions? They would brush them off and/or giggle to something else.

I'm with you 100%. I've always felt like the Bengals bully the local press and that's why the coverage is soft and there are no pieces that rip them. No hard questions are asked. 

Could you imagine the Bengals (and the Brown family) in New York, Chicago or Houston?
Reply/Quote