Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hakeem Nicks in for a workout
I'm wondering how this got missed..or maybe I missed it here.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000650678/article/hakeem-nicks-works-out-for-bengals
I'm not against it. If they could resurrect his career Hicks could potentially add some fire to the mix..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think most would be shocked if this guy was given any type of deal.

Reply/Quote
Trying to catch lightning in a bottle with some guys who used to be good. Nothing wrong with leaving no stone unturned.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The Bengals do have a knack resurrecting some careers. Sadly, not many recently on the offensive side of the ball.

Like I said in the FA thread, bring in both Nicks and Williams to compete.

Can't be any worse than Bryant or Coles

Reply/Quote
I thought he disappeared because of injuries, but from what I can tell he was healthy last year.

He was cut by the Titans before the season started. He was not picked up by the Giants until November and did nothing for them.
Reply/Quote
He only had seven receptions last season, but he only had 14 targets, too. 2014 was only slightly better (38 of 69).
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind giving him a look at.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Not really a fan of this. Only 7 TDs in the last 4 years. He really isn't that good anymore.

I get it, he's pretty young (28) and a former 1st rounder, but simply not that good anymore. It'd be better to draft a receiver and get an improvement rather than a guy who, let's be honest, might lose his job to someone already on this team.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 11:02 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Not really a fan of this. Only 7 TDs in the last 4 years. He really isn't that good anymore.

I get it, he's pretty young (28) and a former 1st rounder, but simply not that good anymore. It'd be better to draft a receiver and get an improvement rather than a guy who, let's be honest, might lose his job to someone already on this team.

but is a result of circumstance? the year he was in indy wasnt luck hurt or having a bad season

the few years before the giants OL was horrid and the offense struggled greatly.

Never hurts to kick the tires.
Reply/Quote
Oh god no...

I live in upstate New York, and I've seen plenty of Giants games the past several years and this guy... Is abysmal. Eli manning isn't anything special but a vast majority of his interceptions were off Nicks' hands or were picked because he either ran the wrong route or completely quit on the play.

Nicks reminded me a lot of a poor mans Andre Caldwell
Reply/Quote
For those criticizing the potential acquisition of Nicks and/or Williams...yes, they haven't been good recently, but they were good at one time. They've shown more than any option the Bengals have behind Green and LaFell...which is nothing. This also shouldn't prohibit the use of gadget plays for speedy Alford this coming season.

I'd feel much more comfortable with a roster of Green, LaFell, Nicks/Williams, Alford, high draft pick, Wright/draft pick/Kumerow/Tate than I would with Green, LaFell, Alford, high draft pick, and two of Wright, Kumerow, Tate, and draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
depending on the deal, I don't mind this. Nothing at all wrong with having options available.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 11:30 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: but is a result of circumstance?  the year he was in indy wasnt luck hurt or having a bad season

the few years before the giants OL was horrid and the offense struggled greatly.

Never hurts to kick the tires.

Quite the opposite. Luck had over 4,700 passing yards and 40 passing TDs. Luck had a great year in 2014. I think you're thinking of last year. Nicks was cut from the team last year. That's when Luck had a down year and was hurt.

In 2013 I'll certainly give you that. That offense was dreadful and it's hard for anyone to produce. 2012 he didn't have a bad year.

2015 he didn't do much, mainly because he was low on the depth chart but still.

My gripe about this is that he isn't an upgrade over Sanu nor Jones in my opinion. I'd rather draft Treadwell, Docston, or Coleman. Put LaFell in the slot and add one of those three young receivers. I believe LaFell can play at a similar, if not better level than Sanu. I don't see Nicks having the same production as Jones had.

Reply/Quote
The coaches must not be totally convinced that drafting one of these WRs in the first round is such a good idea. Could they be that unimpressed with them?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 01:14 PM)Shady Wrote: The coaches must not be totally convinced that drafting one of these WRs in the first round is such a good idea. Could they be that unimpressed with them?

Or that there's a drop off in talent once some of the first few receivers go.

There's Treadwell, Docston, Thomas, Shepherd, and Coleman. Then there's kind of a drop off after that. Might be looking for insurance so they aren't stuck with Tate being the #3 guy.

The Giants, Rams, Vikings, and Texans have all been linked to wide receivers in the 1st round.

Redskins and Lions could be wild cards as well for receivers.

So who knows what's going through their heads. But they've met with Treadwell, Docston, and Coleman multiple times. Only other player they met with multiple times this year was Butler.

Reply/Quote
Nicks is awful. Although so is his college teammate, Brandon Tate, and we employ him too. Another teammate of theirs, Greg Little...we employed him when he sucked as well.

Russell Bodine is from North Carolina too...and he, well, you guessed it...sucks.
Reply/Quote
I'm very much open to adding more veterans. Competition never hurt anyone. That said, the closer we get to the draft, the more I like this guy Coleman. Looks like a young Steve Smith with his speed and physicality. The drops are a concern, but he really could be a huge problem for opposing defenses.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Lets just call Chad..... im sure hes still in shape.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 01:25 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Or that there's a drop off in talent once some of the first few receivers go.

There's Treadwell, Docston, Thomas, Shepherd, and Coleman. Then there's kind of a drop off after that. Might be looking for insurance so they aren't stuck with Tate being the #3 guy.

The Giants, Rams, Vikings, and Texans have all been linked to wide receivers in the 1st round.

Redskins and Lions could be wild cards as well for receivers.

So who knows what's going through their heads. But they've met with Treadwell, Docston, and Coleman multiple times. Only other player they met with multiple times this year was Butler.

The links between the Lions and these WRs in the first round baffles me. They signed Jones and Kerley, and they still have Tate. That's quite a bit of talent. You'd think they'd be more attracted to an OLineman or basically anyone to improve their weak defense. 

The other teams I can certainly see being interested in a WR in the first. If they all go in that direction, which they could but probably won't, you'd think we'd be screwed, but I really like Sterling Shepard and Kolby Listenbee. I don't know if Shepard would be there for us in the 2nd, and I'm not sure he'd be worth a 1st round pick. I feel the same way about Michael Thomas. Listenbee is probably a guy we could get in the 4th, if he falls that far. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 01:35 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Nicks is awful. Although so is his college teammate, Brandon Tate, and we employ him too. Another teammate of theirs, Greg Little...we employed him when he sucked as well.

Russell Bodine is from North Carolina too...and he, well, you guessed it...sucks.

Giovani Bernard also played there. He sucks too.

Right?
Reply/Quote