Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hal McCoy says Reds will finish last in 2016 also
...and I agree....I have disagreed with him in past and going into 2015.....but trading Latos, Leake, Cueto, Chapman, Frazier...and McCoy says Phillips and Bruce to be traded very soon....Yeah, as bad as the Reds were in 2015, 2016 sounds even worse....Pete Rose once said, Reds fans just don't watch to see us play, they watch to see us win....Tell FOX TV OHIO and all commercial sponsors there probably won't be many viewers and very poor TV ratings in 2016 as the Reds secure last place in April.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Gee Hal.....thanks detective.....no shit!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Only because they can't finish worse than that. It's going to be embarrassing.
Reply/Quote
Who was it who said last year that the Reds were great at making all the right moves and the Bengals were still the Bungles? The Reds are destroying what was left of a halfway decent team and have pretty much sunk this team completely, while the Bengals got better still this year. I've never seen either of them blow up a team quite like this.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:17 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Who was it who said last year that the Reds were great at making all the right moves and the Bengals were still the Bungles? The Reds are destroying what was left of a halfway decent team and have pretty much sunk this team completely, while the Bengals got better still this year. I've never seen either of them blow up a team quite like this.

Anybody who didn't see this coming hasn't been paying attention.  The Reds went for it, choked away their best shot at a championship and now have to rebuild.  It's a shame Phillips didn't go to Washington; the Reds are stuck with his contract and the centerpiece to the Frazier deal now has nowhere to play except in AAA.
Reply/Quote
Let's just hope that Cody Reed gives us some hope for the future.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 12:17 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Who was it who said last year that the Reds were great at making all the right moves and the Bengals were still the Bungles? The Reds are destroying what was left of a halfway decent team and have pretty much sunk this team completely, while the Bengals got better still this year. I've never seen either of them blow up a team quite like this.

Bengals get some help from NFL wanting competitive balance and profit sharing of TV revenue.....Baseball could care less about such things and would love it if Yankees win every year as other teams go bankrupt. .....and why football has passed baseball as America's favorite sport. ....That the Bengals lost for 12 years after Mike Brown inherited the team is amazingly cheap and awful, and the NFL is not set up for a team to flounder like that. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 09:22 PM)kevin Wrote: ...and I agree....I have disagreed with him in past and going into 2015.....but trading Latos, Leake, Cueto, Chapman, Frazier...and McCoy says Phillips and Bruce to be traded very soon....Yeah, as bad as the Reds were in 2015, 2016 sounds even worse....Pete Rose once said, Reds fans just don't watch to see us play, they watch to see us win....Tell FOX TV OHIO and all commercial sponsors there probably won't be many viewers and very poor TV ratings in 2016 as the Reds secure last place in April.

Well at least wont have to spend any time watching them on TV next year.

I might go to a game if they do a dollar beer day.. only way i could handle it now.

Bright side is we should have one hell of a minor league team
Reply/Quote
I'm not a Reds fan, but I see Lance McCallister constantly talking about them on Twitter. Is there anything this team can do to make him upset? Every single move seems to be the right one in his mind.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 06:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm not a Reds fan, but I see Lance McCallister constantly talking about them on Twitter. Is there anything this team can do to make him upset? Every single move seems to be the right one in his mind.

Despite the weird obsession Reds fans have with blaming Walt Jocketty for, well, everything and anything...he's been very good with trades.
He got Choo for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorius.
He got Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon.
Anthony Desclafani for Mat Latos.
Mat Latos for Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal (both PED guys)

he's made a lot of very good moves.
Most people hate him for the moves he never made (because that's all on him, nothing to do with other teams) 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Despite the weird obsession Reds fans have with blaming Walt Jocketty for, well, everything and anything...he's been very good with trades.

Most people hate him for the moves he never made (because that's all on him, nothing to do with other teams) 

True enough, but my beef with Walt lies in drafting and player development.  

How on earth does a farm system become so completely bereft of position-player talent?  This franchise hasn't been able to develop a decent LF since Adam Dunn.  When they do develop an outfielder, they come to the majors unable to hit situationally and strike out a lot.  Look at Bruce, Hamilton, Stubbs.  Just no discipline whatsoever and swing out of their shoes at 3rd strikes.  

I give the team credit for going for it.  No doubt they did, and they knew they'd pay a price eventually.  This is all fine with me.  I can deal with a year or two of rebuilding.  I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the farm system and everyday eight players.  People reference teams like Chicago and Houston, even Pittsburgh when citing being patient for a big rebuild, but we literally have no one close to the kinds of stud prospects they had in the pipeline.  To worsen things, we have nobody on the big league roster that anyone wants to trade for to acquire talent with.  The Chapman lifeline is blown.  A Phillips or Bruce trade is a salary dump moreso than a talent acquisition.  

I think this team is royally f'd for many years to come.  The biggest bright spot for me is early draft slotting and real chances obtain blue chip prospects over the next two years.  They have the second pick this year and have a real chance of being bad enough to get the first pick next season.  Unfortunately, unlike the NFL, MLB prospects take a lot longer to develop in most cases.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well at least wont have to spend any time watching them on TV next year.

I might go to a game if they do a dollar beer day.. only way i could handle it now.

Bright side is we should have one hell of a minor league team

Yes, could be a big year for Dayton Dragons fans.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Gotta let Peraza play. What about playing BP in LF, until Winker is ready. We are going to lose anyway and it keeps his bat in the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2015, 02:39 AM)samhain Wrote: People reference teams like Chicago and Houston, even Pittsburgh when citing being patient for a big rebuild, but we literally have no one close to the kinds of stud prospects they had in the pipeline.  

Houston won fewer than 60 games for three straight seasons.  Sad to say but the Reds have not yet begun to do the bulk of their rebuilding.  Hopefully they can find nab some decent prospects when/if they trade Chapman and /or Bruce
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2015, 11:35 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Despite the weird obsession Reds fans have with blaming Walt Jocketty for, well, everything and anything...he's been very good with trades.

It's been over 20 years since they won a playoff series and got swept at home by the giants the last time they went, and swept by phillies two years before that. There W/L's have gotten consistently worse since he's been here. 

Even if he's good at making trades (which I would say he's ok at), the object is to get to and win in the postseason. He's utterly failed at that. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 10:48 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It's been over 20 years since they won a playoff series and got swept at home by the giants the last time they went, and swept by phillies two years before that. There W/L's have gotten consistently worse since he's been here. 

Even if he's good at making trades (which I would say he's ok at), the object is to get to and win in the postseason. He's utterly failed at that. 

He's put them in incredibly good positions to win. You can't predict Cueto getting hurt in the first game, or Votto shredding his knee....
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's put them in incredibly good positions to win. You can't predict Cueto getting hurt in the first game, or Votto shredding his knee....

Not to mention that on paper, acquiring Shin Soo Choo was exactly what the Reds needed to be a legitimate World Series team.  Nobody could see Cueto being hurt all season or Ludwick would get hurt on Opening Day
Reply/Quote
The Reds will finish last in all of MLB, not just the NLC.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2015, 06:21 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The Reds will finish last in all of MLB, not just the NLC.

If they aren't making the playoffs, they may as well get high draft picks to help speed along the rebuild
Reply/Quote
Hal McCoy says that grass is green.
Reply/Quote