Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halftime adjustments
Last night was the best job this coaching staff has done making adjustments at halftime in recent memory. Let's face it, at halftime this team was being outplayed. If it wasn't for the starks penalties we would have been tied or losing at the half.

But then halftime came and went.

After that it was a whole new team. Paulie G especially knocked it out of the park in getting Manziel contained. And how about Marvin winning challenges and staying aggressive on 4th downs? Kudos to this entire team from top to bottom last night.

With solid coaching like we saw last night coupled with the immense talent on this team, something special is brewing in the Queen city.

Reply/Quote
There were definitely a number of good halftime adjustments last night. We seem to be better at that this season and I hope it continues.

I think you are right, there is something special about this team. From the coaches to the players, this is a different team than we've seen before and I'm loving it!!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Last night was the best job this coaching staff has done making adjustments at halftime in recent memory. Let's face it, at halftime this team was being outplayed. If it wasn't for the starks penalties we would have been tied or losing at the half.

After that it was a whole  new team.  Paulie G especially knocked it out of the park in getting Manziel contained.  And how about Marvin winning challenges and staying aggressive on 4th downs? Kudos to this entire  team from top to bottom last night.  

With solid coaching like we saw last night coupled with the immense talent on this team, something special is brewing in the Queen city.

Also, he rewarded the Defense by keeping them aggressive, even up by as 14, to hold Cleveland to 7 yards most of the second half. Usually, he gets up by 2 scores and he goes into a soft prevent 
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:43 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: Also, he rewarded the Defense by keeping them aggressive, even up by as 14, to hold Cleveland to 7 yards most of the second half. Usually, he gets up by 2 scores and he goes into a soft prevent 

Yep, which is how we often allow teams to get back in the game on us. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i think the browns and the bengals both wanted the same half time adjustment.. Manziel to stay in the pocket...

Well we know who that worked out for.

Granted Gipson dropping passes made the day harder for manziel.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Last night was the best job this coaching staff has done making adjustments at halftime in recent memory. Let's face it, at halftime this team was being outplayed. If it wasn't for the starks penalties we would have been tied or losing at the half.

After that it was a whole  new team.  Paulie G especially knocked it out of the park in getting Manziel contained.  And how about Marvin winning challenges and staying aggressive on 4th downs? Kudos to this entire  team from top to bottom last night.  

If they would have called the obvious PI call on Marvin Jones, we probably score from the 1 yard line.  
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think the browns and the bengals both wanted the same half time adjustment.. Manziel to stay in the pocket...

Well we know who that worked out for.

Granted Gipson dropping passes made the day harder for manziel.

^This^

Still, holding them to 35 yards or whatever and 2 1st downs = great job on D
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 11:23 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Last night was the best job this coaching staff has done making adjustments at halftime in recent memory. Let's face it, at halftime this team was being outplayed. If it wasn't for the starks penalties we would have been tied or losing at the half.

After that it was a whole new team. Paulie G especially knocked it out of the park in getting Manziel contained. And how about Marvin winning challenges and staying aggressive on 4th downs? Kudos to this entire team from top to bottom last night.

I was gonna post this same thing but you beat me too it.

How many times over the past 10,000 years has the other team made the halftime adjustments and the Bengals have not?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:55 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: How many times over the past 10,000 years has the other team made the halftime adjustments and the Bengals have not?

Not nearly as often as some people try to claim.  the past two years the bengals have ranked 7th and 11th in points bscore in the third quarter, so on offense we have clearly been better at making halftime adjustments than most other teams in the league.

The whole "lack of halftime adjustments" has been a bit of a myth.  I think it is mainly because of the epic failures we have had in the second half of our playoff games.  Everyone remembers those and forgets that we don't usually do that bad in the second half of our regular season games.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 12:55 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: I was gonna post this same thing but you beat me too it.

How many times over the past 10,000 years has the other team made the halftime adjustments and the Bengals have not?

Well when you average it over 10,000 years which is like 9,951 to many. its probly a small margin
Reply/Quote
I keep hearing how awesome Johnny was in the 1st half, and then Pettine made him stay in the pocket in the 2nd half. No. The Bengals didn't allow him to leave the pocket in the 2nd half.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Agree the difference from the first to second half was we kept the Midget contained on defense. He did nothing from the pocket. Great job Pauly and the rest of the defense!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
In the past the Bengals were not good at making half time adjustment. It was an obvious weakness which it appears is no longer an issue. Kudos to ML and his staff.

Pettine's comment about Manziel needing to learn to throw from the pocket is probably based on what the Bengals have done to him twice. 

The scrambling is great when you have to do it. But if you do it to much your going to get killed. So you got to learn to throw from the pocket.

And the Bengals have figured out that he can't throw from the pocket very well so we are going to make him do it until he can. Which is extremely hard for a guy who is vertically challenged such as he is. It seems to me his best plays (chunk plays) occur mostly out of the pocket when he is improvising. Can't be a consistent winner playing like that in the NFL in my opinion.

Who Dey!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:32 PM)tigerseye Wrote: In the past the Bengals were not good at making half time adjustment. It was an obvious weakness which it appears is no longer an issue. Kudos to ML and his staff.

Pettine's comment about Manziel needing to learn to throw from the pocket is probably based on what the Bengals have done to him twice. 

The scrambling is great when you have to do it. But if you do it to much your going to get killed. So you got to learn to throw from the pocket.

And the Bengals have figured out that he can't throw from the pocket very well so we are going to make him do it until he can. Which is extremely hard for a guy who is vertically challenged such as he is. It seems to me his best plays (chunk plays) occur mostly out of the pocket when he is improvising. Can't be a consistent winner playing like that in the NFL in my opinion.

Who Dey!!!!!!

Yeah.  The analysts seemed pleasantly surprised by his performance.  I can't say that I was at all impressed.  When he isn't ad-libbing like he did in college, he is a pretty average talent. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I keep hearing how awesome Johnny was in the 1st half, and then Pettine made him stay in the pocket in the 2nd half.  No.  The Bengals didn't allow him to leave the pocket in the 2nd half.

And when Johnny did leave the pocket, he ran right back to it and tried re establish the pocket. Lmao. Just terrible coaching by Pettine. He's got Johnny so focused on the pocket that he tried to re establish it. Comedy gold right there. 

You've gotta let some players do what they do best. 

It's sorta like when Adam Jones lost yardage last night on that punt return. Yeah it sucked but with him, you have to let it go. One bad play isn't gonna change the dozens of other great returns he's had and will have. I'm in no way comparing JFB to Adam jones. 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I keep hearing how awesome Johnny was in the 1st half, and then Pettine made him stay in the pocket in the 2nd half. No. The Bengals didn't allow him to leave the pocket in the 2nd half.

little of both..

Browns Coach said at half time he wants johnny to stay in the pocket and make plays.

Marvin said we gotta keep him in the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:11 PM)corpjet Wrote: Agree the difference from the first to second half was we kept the Midget contained on defense.  He did nothing from the pocket.  Great job Pauly and the rest of the defense!

I can only reflect on how it took Zimmer 3 years to gel the defense here, and last year, in his FIRST year as DC, WITHOUT Burfict and the real Geno, how Guenther was verbally assaulted.

Many defended him because of the reasons above, and I think he is now starting to prove that point.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I can only reflect on how it took Zimmer 3 years to gel the defense here, and last year, in his FIRST year as DC, WITHOUT Burfict and the real Geno, how Guenther was verbally assaulted.

Many defended him because of the reasons above, and I think he is now starting to prove that point.

i think dispite missing those guys we were pretty good vs the pass and on 3rd downs last year even being last in sacks.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think dispite missing those guys we were pretty good vs the pass and on 3rd downs last year even being last in sacks.

+1.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2015, 01:38 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Yeah.  The analysts seemed pleasantly surprised by his performance.  I can't say that I was at all impressed.  When he isn't ad-libbing like he did in college, he is a pretty average talent. 

Pretty much. Hence why I was confused why we didn't pressure him on the last drive. His footwork falters so bad under pressure. Watching Dalton and him is day and night. For instance, use the 29 yard pass Dalton had to Jones under pressure. He stands in, feet never change, nearly perfect. Manziel's throws were so off on a consistent basis. 

The NFL wants to sell him and are going to do so until he is just out of the NFL (Tebow). The guy's nickname is 'Football' for crying out loud. All the commentators wanted some kind of duel to the end, to heroically build him up. It is ridiculous. I wish they would get over it.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote