Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank Fraley OL coach interview
Hank Fraley most recently OL coach for the Detroit Lions is interviewing for the open job for the Bengals

Dave Birkett reports on the Lions for the Detroit Free Press

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/hank-fraley

Hank Fraley
OFFENSIVE LINE
Biography
Hank Fraley enters his third season with the Lions and his first as the team's offensive line coach. He spent the 2018-19 seasons as Detroit's assistant offensive line coach.

His coaching resume includes experience coaching the offensive line at both the collegiate and professional level. His first two seasons in Detroit were highlighted by assisting former Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson, in producing an effective running game led by the talent upfront on the offensive line. In the 2019 season, the o-line assisted four different running backs accumulate at least 200 rushing yards on the season, which was an NFL-high. In Week 7 of 2018, Detroit's offensive line went on to help put together a season-best, 248 rushing yards at the Miami Dolphins. The performance on the ground marked the most rushing yards the Lions posted in a game since 249 rushing yards against the Indianapolis Colts on Nov. 23, 1997.

Prior to coming to Detroit in 2018, he most recently served as the offensive line coach at UCLA in 2017. He entered the NFL coaching ranks when he was named the assistant offensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings in 2014, where he worked for three seasons (2014-16). While assisting with the offensive line, Fraley helped the unit produce one of the NFL's top rushing attacks in 2015.

With an offense featuring RB Adrian Peterson, the Vikings offensive line paved the way for Peterson to rush for an NFL-leading 1,485 yards in 2015, while the team finished fourth in overall rushing that season. Despite losing veterans C John Sullivan and T Phil Loadholt to injuries during the preseason, Minnesota's offensive line finished the 2015 season as the only NFL team to have the same starting offensive line in all 16 games.

Prior to joining the Vikings, Fraley served as the offensive line coach at San Jose State in 2013. He began his coaching career in 2012 when he was named the offensive line coach at the University of San Diego.

A former lineman himself, Fraley played 11 seasons in the NFL after entering the League as an undrafted free agent in 2000 out of Robert Morris (Pa.). He went on to play with the Philadelphia Eagles (2000-05), Cleveland Browns (2006-09) and St. Louis Rams (2010). Primarily a center during his playing career, Fraley started for the Eagles (2001-05) before being traded midway through the 2005 season to the Browns. As a mainstay along the offensive line, he helped Philadelphia win four-consecutive NFC East titles between 2001-04 and reach four-consecutive NFC title games. The Eagles advanced to Super Bowl XXXIX against New England following the 2004 regular season.

After joining the Browns in 2006, Fraley played under current Lions Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson and started all 16 games despite joining the team at the end of the preseason.

A standout athlete at Robert Morris, Fraley was an All-Northeastern Conference selection from 1997-99, helping his teams win conference titles each season. He had his No. 75 retired by the school in 2001 and became the first Robert Morris alum to play in the Super Bowl. He was enshrined in the school's Hall of Fame in 2006 and honored by the Northeast Conference in 2010.

Fraley and his wife, Danielle, have four sons, Trent, Mason, Travis and Beau, and one daughter, Scarlett.

_FRALEY'S COACHING BACKGROUND _

Detroit Lions 2018-

Offensive Line 2020

Assistant Offensive Line 2018-19

UCLA 2017

Offensive Line 2017

Minnesota Vikings 2014-16

Assistant Offensive Line 2014-16

San Jose State 2013

Offensive Line 2013

University of San Diego 2012

Offensive Line 2012

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 10:41 AM)pally Wrote: Hank Fraley most recently OL coach for the Detroit Lions is interviewing for the open job for the Bengals

Dave Birkett reports on the Lions for the Detroit Free Press

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/hank-fraley

Hank Fraley
OFFENSIVE LINE
Biography
Hank Fraley enters his third season with the Lions and his first as the team's offensive line coach. He spent the 2018-19 seasons as Detroit's assistant offensive line coach.

His coaching resume includes experience coaching the offensive line at both the collegiate and professional level. His first two seasons in Detroit were highlighted by assisting former Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson, in producing an effective running game led by the talent upfront on the offensive line. In the 2019 season, the o-line assisted four different running backs accumulate at least 200 rushing yards on the season, which was an NFL-high. In Week 7 of 2018, Detroit's offensive line went on to help put together a season-best, 248 rushing yards at the Miami Dolphins. The performance on the ground marked the most rushing yards the Lions posted in a game since 249 rushing yards against the Indianapolis Colts on Nov. 23, 1997.

Prior to coming to Detroit in 2018, he most recently served as the offensive line coach at UCLA in 2017. He entered the NFL coaching ranks when he was named the assistant offensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings in 2014, where he worked for three seasons (2014-16). While assisting with the offensive line, Fraley helped the unit produce one of the NFL's top rushing attacks in 2015.  

With an offense featuring RB Adrian Peterson, the Vikings offensive line paved the way for Peterson to rush for an NFL-leading 1,485 yards in 2015, while the team finished fourth in overall rushing that season. Despite losing veterans C John Sullivan and T Phil Loadholt to injuries during the preseason, Minnesota's offensive line finished the 2015 season as the only NFL team to have the same starting offensive line in all 16 games.

Prior to joining the Vikings, Fraley served as the offensive line coach at San Jose State in 2013. He began his coaching career in 2012 when he was named the offensive line coach at the University of San Diego.

A former lineman himself, Fraley played 11 seasons in the NFL after entering the League as an undrafted free agent in 2000 out of Robert Morris (Pa.). He went on to play with the Philadelphia Eagles (2000-05), Cleveland Browns (2006-09) and St. Louis Rams (2010). Primarily a center during his playing career, Fraley started for the Eagles (2001-05) before being traded midway through the 2005 season to the Browns. As a mainstay along the offensive line, he helped Philadelphia win four-consecutive NFC East titles between 2001-04 and reach four-consecutive NFC title games. The Eagles advanced to Super Bowl XXXIX against New England following the 2004 regular season.

After joining the Browns in 2006, Fraley played under current Lions Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson and started all 16 games despite joining the team at the end of the preseason.

A standout athlete at Robert Morris, Fraley was an All-Northeastern Conference selection from 1997-99, helping his teams win conference titles each season. He had his No. 75 retired by the school in 2001 and became the first Robert Morris alum to play in the Super Bowl. He was enshrined in the school's Hall of Fame in 2006 and honored by the Northeast Conference in 2010.

Fraley and his wife, Danielle, have four sons, Trent, Mason, Travis and Beau, and one daughter, Scarlett.

_FRALEY'S COACHING BACKGROUND _

Detroit Lions 2018-

Offensive Line 2020

Assistant Offensive Line 2018-19

UCLA 2017

Offensive Line 2017

Minnesota Vikings 2014-16

Assistant Offensive Line 2014-16

San Jose State 2013

Offensive Line 2013

University of San Diego 2012

Offensive Line 2012

Thanks for the information.  Not a guy that the board will go screaming "Hey!  We got Fraley!", but would still seem a massive upgrade.  Then again, one hot divorcee that helped me coach in flag football one summer would probably be an upgrade.  At least the team would love to watch her snapping drills.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anyone is better than Jim Turner.
At least Fraley being a ex-player can relate better to the,players
Jim Turner and his Lee Emery act from Full Metal Jacket
Really didnt go over too well.
Reply/Quote
Just to provide some number on the guy. Stafford was sacked 38 times this year. They had 1,500 rushing yards on 4.1 per carry. The Lions seem to have the same weaknesses as we do; guard play. Their LT, Taylor Decker, seems to be pretty good. PFF has him at an 82, and Ragnow is an 80. Their guards were both in the 50s/60s. Tyrell Crosby is their RT, and he was a 5th round pick. He is graded out in the 60s.

Just a note that I watched zero tape on these guys. I just went and looked at their PFF numbers. This is literally just a glance at what he did this year.
Reply/Quote
this was a comment from T Taylor Decker

"He's going to have that insight for the guys, especially playing on the inside," Decker said of Fraley. "Just seeing how he goes about our meetings so far, and I've known this about him from him being an assistant o-line coach, he's very, very detailed.

"Very detailed with how he has plays drawn up, with how his concepts are worded towards us, with how his techniques are worded in his presentations. So, I think it'll be great and I'm super excited for him and we were all super excited when he got that job. He deserves it because the dude works really hard. We're excited to have Old Hank."

Reply/Quote
I know absolutely nothing about this guy other than what is in the OP, but I can’t say I’d be terribly excited about a coach from one of the only other teams as historically bad as us. The last coach we hired from the Lions didn’t even finish out his first season here...

Reply/Quote
setting those High expectations round here.
Reply/Quote
I ran across this article when I was looking him up.  It is an old one from his playing days with the Eagles but thought it was a good look at his mindset as a player.

His nickname was Honeybuns which is far better than Piano Man  

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/01/a-beautiful-mind/302856/

Reply/Quote
Given that he's a former C, you would think he'd be the cerebral-type and given that Ragnow's been excelling, could be a good pickup.

Not saying that people should be over the moon about him, but if we decide to roll with Price as the starter, this just might be the tonic to get him to be serviceable/at Hopkins' level, but we'll see.

Goose left out a few things; Lions QBs were sacked 42 times in 582 dropbacks, which is a 7% sack rate (compared to ours, which is 48 in 581 dropbacks; 8.2%); don't have the total pressure numbers. We also ran for more yards, but ran it 50 times more.

If we have better players, the numbers will be better anyways (of course), but there's no reason why Fraley can't help elevate that, if he gets hired.

Wouldn't be a bad choice.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 12:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Given that he's a former C, you would think he'd be the cerebral-type and given that Ragnow's been excelling, could be a good pickup.

Not saying that people should be over the moon about him, but if we decide to roll with Price as the starter, this just might be the tonic to get him to be serviceable/at Hopkins' level, but we'll see.

Goose left out a few things; Lions QBs were sacked 42 times in 582 dropbacks, which is a 7% sack rate (compared to ours, which is 48 in 581 dropbacks; 8.2%); don't have the total pressure numbers. We also ran for more yards, but ran it 50 times more.

If we have better players, the numbers will be better anyways (of course), but there's no reason why Fraley can't help elevate that, if he gets hired.

Wouldn't be a bad choice.

Thanks for the assist truck, appreciate it.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Good to see we are already interviewing..
Reply/Quote
Can't say I'd be floored if we hired him, but honestly I'd just like to not remember the name of our Oline coach for once. Position coaches shouldn't be the controversial coaches on your team, after all. Much like offensive linemen, they're at their best when you never really hear their name.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 12:08 PM)pally Wrote: I ran across this article when I was looking him up.  It is an old one from his playing days with the Eagles but thought it was a good look at his mindset as a player.

His nickname was Honeybuns which is far better than Piano Man.

I'd rather be called Piano Man than Honeybuns.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
He is a nobody. This is the only type of guy we will be able to get.

But everyone starts out as a nobody so I will give him a fair chance if we hire him.
Reply/Quote
I guess I'm not overly interested in who is hired. A new OL coach was needed, but even the greatest OL coach hire isn't going to overcome the shortcomings of Taylor and coordinators as coaches. The '21 season is dependent on Zac greatly improving as a coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is a nobody. This is the only type of guy we will be able to get.

But everyone starts out as a nobody so I will give him a fair chance if we hire him.

Yep. Taylor already has shown he can't bring in established coaches. But at this point, its better than Turner for the simple fact he doesn't have a bullying scandal attached to his name. 
Reply/Quote
Only has one season as the OL coach, but several years as assistant OL coach, as well as OL coaching stints at the college level. Detroit's LT seemed to speak about him in glowing terms. Makes me wonder if he is actually good, on the rise, and possibly just a victim of "we're cleaning house" on behalf of the Lions?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I disagree that he is a nobody. He's a qualified NFL OL coach, and we haven't had that for the last couple years.

Also, some of those names Lapham and others have thrown around are unrealistic. Callahan and Peters from the Browns are probably both still under contract, so there's no way the Browns would let them come here. I was really intrigued by Peters but unless he signed a one year deal (unlikely) it's just unrealistic. And Frank Pollack isn't going to return to a team that chose not to renew him two years ago. It has nothing to do with our ability to hire a good coach (that has always been overstated), only the fact of his prior history here. He'll have lots of options.

Haley is definitely one of the better options that is actually available.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, here are the PFF grades for each of their starting OL:
LT Taylor Decker - 82.0 overall (85.8 pass, 72.9 run)
LG Jonah Jackson - 57.1 overall (51.6 pass, 61.5 run)
C Frank Ragnow - 80.3 overall (74.8 pass, 80.9 run)
RG Oday Aboushi - 66.6 overall (65.3 pass, 68.0 run)
RT Tyrell Crosby - 64.2 overall (68.1 pass, 56.9 run)

All solid as pass blockers except for Jonah Jackson.
All solid as run blockers except for Tyrell Crosby.

As a whole, more balanced than what the Bengals put out with Turner.

Also, as Fraley was a former Center, he may put more emphasis on that position.
Fraley was also assistant OL coach when Ragnow was drafted, and Ragnow has become a consistent stud.

I would consider Fraley an upgrade over Turner if Fraley is the hire.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote