Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Happy Constitution Day! Annenberg Annual Civics Survey
Trump Era in stats--The Annual Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey

Americans Are Poorly Informed About Basic Constitutional Provisions
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/americans-are-poorly-informed-about-basic-constitutional-provisions/

More than half of Americans (53 percent) incorrectly think it is accurate to say that immigrants who are here illegally do not have any rights  under the U.S. Constitution;

More than a third of those surveyed (37 percent) can’t name any of the rights guaranteed under the First Amendment;

Only a quarter of Americans (26 percent) can name all three branches of government.

Both sides don't do it--at least to the same degree on the same questions.

The APPC survey, conducted Aug. 9-13 among 1,013 adults in the United States, finds that 53 percent think that people who are here illegally do not have any rights under the Constitution. That incorrect belief is especially strong among self-identified political conservatives – 67 percent think it is accurate, compared with 48 percent of moderates and 46 percent of liberals.

Only 26 percent of respondents can name the three branches of government (executive, judicial, and legislative), the same result as last year. In the presence of controls, people who identified themselves as conservatives were significantly more likely to name all three branches correctly than liberals and moderates. The 26 percent total was down significantly from APPC’s first survey on this question, in 2011, when 38 percent could name all three

This one is especially disturbing.

Contrary to the First Amendment, 39 percent of Americans support allowing Congress to stop the news media from reporting on any issue of national security without government approval. That was essentially unchanged from last year. But the survey, which followed a year of attacks on the news media, found less opposition to prior restraint (49 percent) than in 2016 (55 percent).

Too little too late?

“Protecting the rights guaranteed by the Constitution presupposes that we know what they are. The fact that many don’t is worrisome,” said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC) of the University of Pennsylvania. “These results emphasize the need for high-quality civics education in the schools and for press reporting that underscores the existence of constitutional protections.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I'm going to ask my students these questions at the end of the year and see how much better they do.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Here is the link to this year's: https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/civics-knowledge-survey-willingness-protect-supreme-court/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
That's pretty sad
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

When I started covering small local governments nearly 20 years ago, almost every meeting would have a packed audience. People came and complained. They asked questions. They voiced support. In communities as small as 600, you'd have 15-30 people at a council meeting.

Now, that same town, you've usually got two people. And most folks don't even realize what meetings are open or closed.
(09-18-2018, 08:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Here is the link to this year's: https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/civics-knowledge-survey-willingness-protect-supreme-court/

oops. Well more people can name all three branches of gov. this year. Bpat is making a difference.
i'm sure on a full test I'd miss some, but those examples are ridiculous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-18-2018, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: i'm sure on a full test I'd miss some, but those examples are ridiculous.

What number of justices does the Constitution set for the Supreme Court?

That should be easy.
Some more cuts to the education budget should fix this right up.
(09-18-2018, 11:09 AM)Dill Wrote: What number of justices does the Constitution set for the Supreme Court?

That should be easy.

None

"Contrary to the First Amendment, 39 percent of Americans support allowing Congress to stop the news media from reporting on any issue of national security without government approval. "

I dont agree with the wording of that statement. But since i have been mature enough to feel patriotic i have felt the general public doesnt have the right to know national security secrets.

But that statement is too broad for my liking
Reality tv shows imbedded with troops is the dumbest shit in the world. I still cant believe we allow any of that out. Documentaries on our elite weapons, future weapons, training techniques, etc...

Im all about not sharing any of that stuff
(09-18-2018, 08:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Here is the link to this year's: https://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/civics-knowledge-survey-willingness-protect-supreme-court/

The level of knowledge is disturbing.

That being said, anyone else have an issue with this sentence from the report?

Quote:The survey found that a substantial majority of Americans is knowledgeable about some issues, including impeachment and pardons:
While we sit here and snidely say: "I cannot believe how ill-informed those folks are"; what does it really matter?

Some folks are just more concerned with putting food on the table. They'll leave whether the House and Senate must confirm a SCJ to those that do it for a living or folks that have enough time on their hands to worry about such trivialities.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-19-2018, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: While we sit here and snidely say: "I cannot believe how ill-informed those folks are"; what does it really matter?

Some folks are just more concerned with putting food on the table. They'll leave whether the House and Senate must confirm a SCJ to those that do it for a living or folks that have enough time on their hands to worry about such trivialities.

Can't tell if you are joking.
(09-19-2018, 08:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: None

Timed out! LOL And I think I saw you use your cell phone.
(09-19-2018, 11:14 PM)Dill Wrote: Can't tell if you are joking.

I am not joking.

Now you know.

(09-19-2018, 11:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: While we sit here and snidely say: "I cannot believe how ill-informed those folks are"; what does it really matter?

Sadly i can not tell if that is serious. Sounds like you suggest the working poor blindly throw their support behind a party just because...
(09-19-2018, 11:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sadly i can not tell if that is serious. Sounds like you suggest the working poor blindly throw their support behind a party just because...

Nah, they just work to earn a living and they realize when that living gets better or worse. No one said they were poor. They could give 2 shits about the names of the branches of government.

Do you know why a carpenter's pencil is flat?

(09-19-2018, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, they just work to earn a living and they realize when that living gets better or worse. No one said they were poor. They could give 2 shits about the names of the branches of government.

Do you know why a carpenter's pencil is flat?

I have some good guesses.

On the other hand. I can go look up the guilty pleas for all the people who worked for the head con. And i dont even have to guess anymore about what stuff is.

When you comprehend things for what they actually are. Its wild