Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Knocks
I know we aren't one of the teams that could be forced to take part but do you think there will be any way we would volunteer to do the show this coming season.
We must be an attractive proposition with us having the 1st pick and probably taking Joe.
Reply/Quote
I don't think many teams including the Bengals would volunteer again because of the distraction and how intrusive it can be. That is why they had to put those rules in place to force certain teams and to feature different teams. So even if the Bengals wanted to volunteer they may not be given the offer as it seems the NFL and HBO wants to feature different teams and the Bengals have already done it twice.

After a 2-14 season my opinion is the Bengals don't need that distraction when the coaches and players have a ton to work on to improve. And that work does not necessarily need to be front and center on a major TV show. Personally I hope they force the Steelers to do it this year. But my guess it will be the Cardinals because of Kyler Murray's second year and possibly Larry Fitzgerald's final season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Better chance at "All-or-Nothing" series on Amazon.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Better chance at "All-or-Nothing" series on Amazon

That is a possibility, I really liked the couple of seasons when we appeared on the show. 
Reply/Quote
I’d be totally down. I want a look at Taylor and his staff.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be totally down. I want a look at Taylor and his staff.

Here's a look at Zac Taylor and staff..   Cool

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's a look at Zac Taylor and staff..   Cool

The guy's behind him are talking about how bad he sucks... Loud enough that he can hear them. He pretends that he doesn't though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's a look at Zac Taylor and staff..   Cool

Can’t see the image, and I’m not sure I want to lol

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:32 PM)jason Wrote: The guy's behind him are talking about how bad he sucks... Loud enough that he can hear them. He pretends that he doesn't though.

They were opening what they thought were bonus checks, only to find vouchers to Denny’s.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 08:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: They were opening what they thought were bonus checks, only to find vouchers to Denny’s.

The last Denny's in the Dayton area shut down a few years back. There are some things money can't buy. I'd take the voucher. I'm not sure the staff deserves them though. Not you Darren Simmons... You get Denny's.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be totally down. I want a look at Taylor and his staff.

"I could show you a good look at a butcher's ass, but I'd rather just take the cow's word for it"

[Image: tommy-callahan.jpg?w=806]
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 04:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't think many teams including the Bengals would volunteer again because of the distraction and how intrusive it can be.  That is why they had to put those rules in place to force certain teams and to feature different teams.  So even if the Bengals wanted to volunteer they may not be given the offer as it seems the NFL and HBO wants to feature different teams and the Bengals have already done it twice.  

After a 2-14 season my opinion is the Bengals don't need that distraction when the coaches and players have a ton to work on to improve.  And that work does not necessarily need to be front and center on a major TV show.  Personally I hope they force the Steelers to do it this year.  But my guess it will be the Cardinals because of Kyler Murray's second year and possibly Larry Fitzgerald's final season.

If you listen to the coaches and players, it really isn't a distraction. There are already so many cameras there, the HK cameras, many of which are hidden, are forgotten about. Besides that, the Bengals won the Division every time they were on the show, so I'm all for that distraction.
Reply/Quote
nope besides this is a chance for them to finally force the Steelers to do the show. I cant imagine them not taking advantage of it

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 08:11 PM)pally Wrote: nope besides this is a chance for them to finally force the Steelers to do the show.  I cant imagine them not taking advantage of it

What are they going to show, the Stealers practicing holding, blindside blocks, targeting?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:47 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I know we aren't one of the teams that could be forced to take part but do you think there will be any way we would volunteer to do the show this coming season.
We must be an attractive proposition with us having the 1st pick and probably taking Joe.

I really hope the Bengals do not volunteer for Hard Knocks this year, as they are one of only two teams (other being DAL) who has been on the show multiple times.

Only the following teams have actually done Hard Knocks (not in order):
- DAL (x2)
- CIN (x2)
- BAL
- CLE
- OAK
- LAR
- TB
- HOU
- ATL
- MIA
- NYJ
- KC

That's not even half of the league.

It'd be interesting to see one of the shady teams like NE or PIT actually be on this show.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I really hope the Bengals do not volunteer for Hard Knocks this year, as they are one of only two teams (other being DAL) who has been on the show multiple times.

Only the following teams have actually done Hard Knocks (not in order):
- DAL (x2)
- CIN (x2)
- BAL
- CLE
- OAK
- LAR
- TB
- HOU
- ATL
- MIA
- NYJ
- KC

That's not even half of the league.

It'd be interesting to see one of the shady teams like NE or PIT actually be on this show.
There is a reason certain teams will probably never appear on Hard Knocks, unless a team volunteers.
These are the rules when a team can be forced to take part

A team can't be selected if it was in the playoffs either of the last two seasons, if it has a first-year head coach or if it has been on the program at any point in the last 10 years.

The 5 teams that could be made to take part in 2020 are :-
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Detroit Lions
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Denver Broncos

Teams like NE who regularly appear in the playoffs won't ever appear on the show
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why Bengals fans wouldn't want to see the Bengals? And don't say it's a distraction, it seems to bring us luck.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 05:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not sure why Bengals fans wouldn't want to see the Bengals? And don't say it's a distraction, it seems to bring us luck.

I thought the same
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 05:45 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: There is a reason certain teams will probably never appear on Hard Knocks, unless a team volunteers.

A team can't be selected if it was in the playoffs either of the last two seasons, if it has a first-year head coach or if it has been on the program at any point in the last 10 years.

• Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Detroit Lions
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Denver Broncos

Teams like NE who regularly appear in the playoffs won't ever appear on the show

These rules were also in place to add variety.  From Wikipedia:

The San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans, and Washington Redskins each declined to be the show's featured team for the 2013 season, while the Cincinnati Bengals accepted, marking their second appearance on the show. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell subsequently said that he wanted more teams to be featured on the series, on "some kind of formal rotation."

Personally I think the made the playoffs in the last two seasons as an exemption is kind of bogus.  If they were really interested in having more teams featured then that rule would not be in place.  I still believe that they had to put those rules in place because most teams are not interested in having their preseason filmed for a show that puts them under the microscope and looks to find some form of drama.  Look at when Hard Knocks featured the Browns in 2018 and what a shit show that was with the thing between Hue Jackson and Todd Haley.

(02-18-2020, 10:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If you listen to the coaches and players, it really isn't a distraction. There are already so many cameras there, the HK cameras, many of which are hidden, are forgotten about.

Sure maybe staff members and players featured say it isn't a distraction.  They are professionals paid by the NFL and their teams. So what should they say when asked how they feel about being on Hard Knocks?  I can tell you what they won't say, "I don't want any part of it."  Because then there is all the bad press to follow.  However Hard Knocks and the NFL has a reputation so far that they have to make rules to force teams to do it.

If Hard Knocks was so hot to gain interest in NFL teams, and not an invasive distraction, then GMs and owners would be lining up to be featured to attract more fans.  Instead there are rules to force teams to be on the show because teams declined.  So maybe it is indeed an unwanted distraction that just isn't openly discussed by team owners, GMs and the players for fear of bad press.

(02-18-2020, 10:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Besides that, the Bengals won the Division every time they were on the show, so I'm all for that distraction.

Correlation does not equal causation.  Big Grin

Again even if the Bengals wanted to volunteer it seems the NFL wants to variety.  So look for the Cardinals or Streelers to be featured this year. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 05:45 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: There is a reason certain teams will probably never appear on Hard Knocks, unless a team volunteers.

• Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Detroit Lions
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Arizona Cardinals
  • Denver Broncos

Thanks for info.
I wasn't aware of the playoff rule, especially since the Bengals were on it in 2013 and had made the playoffs two years in a row at that point.
You'd think playoff caliber teams should be eligible to be selected since they get close but not far enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote