Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardy Nickerson Connection...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/05/hardy-nickersons-son-among-13-bengals-undrafted-free-agent-signings/

Hardy Nickerson our new UDFA linebacker...  Who is the son of Hardy Nickerson  former all pro linebacker.  

Marvin Lewis   now has coached father and son.  (or will when he gets a chance at our new UDFA)

Thought that was a cool story...  Heres hoping this guy can be as successful as burfict and go from UDFA to someday All-Pro (like his dad)
Reply/Quote
That would make for a real nice feel-good story.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm a fan....hope he's this years big college free agent pickup. We do seem to always have 1 or 2 that stand out.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Surprised he went undrafted, but I'm a fan of the pickup.

I'm not saying he'll be a starter or even much of a contributor, but I do think he could offer us some special teams play, a few snaps on D, and could develop into a decent starter.

He was captain as a junior at Cal and as a senior at Illinois, so the leadership ability appears to be there, and I think he could step up in camp and earn a starting spot, and then having two backers (he and Burfict) with leadership qualities on defense could help bring our defense to another level.
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see Marvin coach Hardy Nickerson III
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 10:38 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Can't wait to see Marvin coach Hardy Nickerson III

LOL

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 09:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Surprised he went undrafted, but I'm a fan of the pickup.

I'm not saying he'll be a starter or even much of a contributor, but I do think he could offer us some special teams play, a few snaps on D, and could develop into a decent starter.

He was captain as a junior at Cal and as a senior at Illinois, so the leadership ability appears to be there, and I think he could step up in camp and earn a starting spot, and then having two backers (he and Burfict) with leadership qualities on defense could help bring our defense to another level.

Apparently was taking over the huddle and setting up the D at rookie camps.

He's a bit smallish for NFL LBer  be interesting to see if he can stick I see PS this year at best
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 09:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Apparently was taking over the huddle and setting up the D at rookie camps.

He's a bit smallish for NFL LBer  be interesting to see if he can stick I see PS this year at best

Dhani Jones was smallish, but he was really good the first half of his career, and serviceable toward the end.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 09:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Apparently was taking over the huddle and setting up the D at rookie camps.

Him being smart really helps. I too was concerned with his size. Of the UDFA Linebackers i also like Brandon Bell from Penn State.

(05-22-2017, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dhani Jones was smallish, but he was really good the first half of his career, and serviceable toward the end.

True, smart players can make up for their lack of size and athleticism.
Reply/Quote
Other than Vigil most of our backup LBs have been around a while. Rookies usually make huge strides from their first season to the next. But guys like Dawson, Roach, and Flowers who have been in the league a few years are not suddenly going to get a lot better.

In my opinion almost anyone could get the last LB spot on our roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 10:38 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Can't wait to see Marvin coach Hardy Nickerson III

Marv will probably be around long enough to see it happen. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marv will probably be around long enough to see it happen. 

Marv Jr will be our coach by then lol
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 02:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Marv Jr will be our coach by then lol

Wait...what if Marv really is grooming his son as his replacement? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wait...what if Marv really is grooming his son as his replacement? 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Well, it worked so well the first time with a coach's son, Mike'd probably give it a try.

In all fairness, Dave had nothing to work with.  But damn, that was bad.  Maybe if he'd beaten his dad that night...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I love it because he's stepping in early and taking a leadership role.

Even if Burfict keeps calling the plays, it would be nice to have to generals at backer leading the defense and being able to make adjustments to both sides (assuming he starts or even gets PT, which is a big stretch at this point).
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 04:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love it because he's stepping in early and taking a leadership role.

Even if Burfict keeps calling the plays, it would be nice to have to generals at backer leading the defense and being able to make adjustments to both sides (assuming he starts or even gets PT, which is a big stretch at this point).

Minter is another general, we will see if we can extend him though.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 01:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Minter is another general, we will see if we can extend him though.

Extend Burfict now then minter a bit later once we see how well he fits
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 01:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Minter is another general, we will see if we can extend him though.

Ever heard the saying about Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians?  While all LBs are Alpha by nature, there can only be one true leader.  Some of those other guys are going to have to learn to know their role, stay in their lane, fly in formation, etc.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Extend Burfict now then minter a bit later once we see how well he fits

Sounds good to me.

(05-23-2017, 03:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard the saying about Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians?  While all LBs are Alpha by nature, there can only be one true leader.  Some of those other guys are going to have to learn to know their role, stay in their lane, fly in formation, etc.

Was thinking the same thing. Only one guy can be calling the plays, interesting how the coaches are giving the headset
to Minter right off the bat when Burfict knows the game so well himself and is the intimidator on this Defense.

Maybe this way Burfict can just focus on being the intimidator.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 03:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard the saying about Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians?  While all LBs are Alpha by nature, there can only be one true leader.  Some of those other guys are going to have to learn to know their role, stay in their lane, fly in formation, etc.

(05-23-2017, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds good to me.

Was thinking the same thing. Only one guy can be calling the plays, interesting how the coaches are giving the headset
to Minter right off the bat when Burfict knows the game so well himself and is the intimidator on this Defense.

Maybe this way Burfict can just focus on being the intimidator.

Normally, I'd agree, but it's always good to have a few backers that are the alpha males of the defense because, like I said, there's different sides of the field/defense and adjustments that can be made all over.  We'll want one main guy, but all the backers directing everyone and just inspiring the D with their leadership is always good.

If it was a corner or some other position trying to be a leader, I'd agree, but it's called a linebacking "core" for a reason.
Reply/Quote