Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison HOF?
I'm not positive he gets in. He's peak only lasted from what 2008- 2012? If that. He's definitely a great player, or at least a great player in that system. I don't think he's a first ballot HOFer.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:03 PM)jason Wrote: I'm not positive he gets in. He's peak only lasted from what 2008- 2012? If that. He's definitely a great player, or at least a great player in that system. I don't think he's a first ballot HOFer.

So I went to look up Harrison's lifetime stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm

Here are the players he get's compared too based on his career.

[Image: jh2017.jpg]

Three of those are in the HOF.  Harrison has some name recognition for his disputes with the Commish and that one big play in the Super Bowl.

I think he'll get in.  Probably not first ballot.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I went to look up Harrison's lifetime stats:

Three of those are in the HOF.  Harrison has some name recognition for his disputes with the Commish and that one big play in the Super Bowl.

Yeah. It's really hard to judge him. His best years were monster years. He was feared like few other players in his day. The HOF just sometimes gets goofy. I don't know if they'd hold the other LBs of the Steelers success against him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:53 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah. It's really hard to judge him. His best years were monster years. He was feared like few other players in his day. The HOF just sometimes gets goofy. I don't know if they'd hold the other LBs of the Steelers success against him.

thats where the issue will come into play

If he doesnt get in, it will be because he was compared to the LBs of the 70s, which doesnt make since, but like you said, sometimes they get goofy
People suck
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 01:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I went to look up Harrison's lifetime stats:

If he gets in, and I think he should, there has to be a case for Pat Swilling.  Swilling was as good, or better than, LT for a few years there.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First player in the new HGH wing of the HOF.....

He denies ever using any PEDs.

Of course, it's safe to conclude that there are drugs out there that are not on the ban list or on anyone's radar yet. 

That's how the 'burg does it. Steroids? They weren't illegal "then". Questionable hit? It wasn't illegal "then".

Whatever he's using will be brought to light eventually, and then banned. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
But back on topic...

While he doesn't have the raw numbers, i'd say he has a strong case for it.

Got a late start but was a constant disruption for offenses for a good amount of time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

If it were up to me, I'd probably put him in. Of course, I thought Jerome Bettis would be a first ballot guy. I can't believe Greg Lloyd's not in either. Maybe the years gone by have made him better than he actually was in my memory.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I used to say his career got off too late to allow him to be a HOF despite having a HOF impact throughout the prime of his career. But then he unretired and still can't seem to be stopped. If he's willing to be a role player for the 1st 11 games again before getting playing time that basically makes him a starter week 12 and on, he looks like he can play a few more years. Impossible to keep him out at that point.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:42 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I used to say his career got off too late to allow him to be a HOF despite having a HOF impact throughout the prime of his career. But then he unretired and still can't seem to be stopped. If he's willing to be a role player for the 1st 11 games again before getting playing time that basically makes him a starter week 12 and on, he looks like he can play a few more years. Impossible to keep him out at that point.

Yeah. If he does like Hines and plays 37 more years, he's a shoo-in. 

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:33 PM)jason Wrote: If it were up to me, I'd probably put him in. Of course, I thought Jerome Bettis would be a first ballot guy. I can't believe Greg Lloyd's not in either. Maybe the years gone by have made him better than he actually was in my memory.

Greg Lloyd is my favorite player of all time.  That being said he did not have a HOF career.  He did get utterly robbed when Bryce Paup won DPOTY over him.  Paup led the league in sacks and did **** all else.  Lloyd was a force that year.

As to Harrison, I think he deserves it, I just don't know how much the Steelers number of players in the hall coupled with his feud with the commissioner will hurt.  Then again, if the epitome of locker room cancer, Terrell Owens, can (likely) get in then we've essentially stated that being a complete POS everywhere but on the field doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote
The clowns will have a player inducted into the HOF before the bungals. Does this bungal fans ill? When will the next bungal get into the hall and who will it be? AJ?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:52 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The clowns will have a player inducted into the HOF before the bungals. Does this bungal fans ill? When will the next bungal get into the hall and who will it be? AJ?

If that's the plan I hope he starts performing like a HOF soon. lol
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 01:39 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Greg Lloyd is my favorite player of all time.  That being said he did not have a HOF career.  He did get utterly robbed when Bryce Paup won DPOTY over him.  Paup led the league in sacks and did **** all else.  Lloyd was a force that year.

As to Harrison, I think he deserves it, I just don't know how much the Steelers number of players in the hall coupled with his feud with the commissioner will hurt.  Then again, if the epitome of locker room cancer, Terrell Owens, can (likely) get in then we've essentially stated that being a complete POS everywhere but on the field doesn't matter.
The other issue that may get held against Harrison is the continuous line of good to great Steelers LBs. All the way back to Lloyd, then Foote, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons... Now Dupree and Shazier are coming on. There may be a perception that it is system related. There may be a back jam of guys at the position by then too with guys like Suggs, Willis, Urlacher, and other guys becoming eligible.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:52 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The clowns will have a player inducted into the HOF before the bungals. Does this bungal fans ill? When will the next bungal get into the hall and who will it be? AJ?
Maybe James Harrison?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:05 AM)jason Wrote: The other issue that may get held against Harrison is the continuous line of good to great Steelers LBs. All the way back to Lloyd, then Foote, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons... Now Dupree and Shazier are coming on. There may be a perception that it is system related. There may be a back jam of guys at the position by then too with guys like Suggs, Willis, Urlacher, and other guys becoming eligible.

i would take woodley off that list...he was good in pitt, and then went to oakland and shit the bed
People suck
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:32 AM)Griever Wrote: i would take woodley off that list...he was good in pitt, and then went to oakland and shit the bed
But that's kinda where I was going with that. Harrison wasn't great in Cincinnati either. He wasn't as bad as many of our fans might claim he was. I don't think the Bengals used him overly well. HOF voters may see things like that, and feel the Steelers' LB success is dictated by system. I think Farrior was pretty good in NY too though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 10:05 AM)jason Wrote: The other issue that may get held against Harrison is the continuous line of good to great Steelers LBs. All the way back to Lloyd, then Foote, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons... Now Dupree and Shazier are coming on. There may be a perception that it is system related. There may be a back jam of guys at the position by then too with guys like Suggs, Willis, Urlacher, and other guys becoming eligible.

Could we say the same about Tom Brady?  Pat's went 11-5 in a season without him.  3-1 this season without him.  He's just a plug in for a system that works.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Could we say the same about Tom Brady?  Pat's went 11-5 in a season without him.  3-1 this season without him.  He's just a plug in for a system that works.
A lot of Patriots haters do say that. I don't agree with that assessment for him or Steelers LBs. That year NE went 11-5 they played a very weak schedule.

It doesn't take long to notice that the team's with several HOF players tend to be well run organizations. Then you have the Bengals with one player... Whose prime was 30 plus years ago.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 11:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: An honest question, do you guys think Harrison should make the HOF once he retires? We used to have conversations like this all the time on the old board, I'm interested in what you guys think on this subject.
Sure he'll make it, if he buys a ticket like everyone else.
Ninja

But more seriously...
He's pretty close.
I think he'll end up coaching.
That will eventually put him over the hump.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote