Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has he lost his mind?
What is wrong with this picture? Anybody wish to Google total infections and deaths (reported) on that very same day?

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-lifts-mask-mandate-opens-texas-100-percent

Personally, I think 100% is going too far. I know you won't catch my ass anywhere around that state. I predict by summer they have a huge spike again.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is the ideology of those in charge of Texas, though. This is capitalism. The people are disposable so long as commerce goes on unfettered. We saw it with the power grid and were seeing it with this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 08:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is the ideology of those in charge of Texas, though. This is capitalism. The people are disposable so long as commerce goes on unfettered. We saw it with the power grid and were seeing it with this.

Sad indeed.  
Reply/Quote
At least now every time someone bitches about masks we can tell them to shut up or move to Texas.
Reply/Quote
This is where I wish democrats would get better at flexing the power they do have. If you want to thumb your nose at the CDC guidelines then you lose federal support (Money) for COVID response. If you don't want to listen to their suggestions don't ask them for help. The problem with these individual states doing whatever they want is people are transient and their decisions 100% have an impact on other states, which is why not responding at a federal level from the start was the biggest failure of this whole thing so far.
Reply/Quote
Businesses are smarter than Abbott. Most grocery store chains, drug stores, and big restaurant chains are still mandating masks for workers and customers.

My company sent a memo yesterday that nothing has changed for us and that we're following CDC guidelines not what Texas is doing. The biggest problem is the level of spread that is going to happen over Spring Break....it's going to be bed.
Reply/Quote
Can the Texas power grid even handle opening back up 100% of the state?
Reply/Quote

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:30 AM)Stewy Wrote: Businesses are smarter than Abbott. Most grocery store chains, drug stores, and big restaurant chains are still mandating masks for workers and customers.

My company sent a memo yesterday that nothing has changed for us and that we're following CDC guidelines not what Texas is doing. The biggest problem is the level of spread that is going to happen over Spring Break....it's going to be bed.

Spring break is going to be rough for Texas and Florida, especially. The university I work at actually nixed having a weeklong spring break and opted for individual days sprinkled throughout the semester. Pisses the students off, but it prevents them going to the spring break hotspots and spreading the virus as much.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Spring break is going to be rough for Texas and Florida, especially. The university I work at actually nixed having a weeklong spring break and opted for individual days sprinkled throughout the semester. Pisses the students off, but it prevents them going to the spring break hotspots and spreading the virus as much.

Anything that pisses off college students should be popular with bitter neo-cons, though. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:43 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Can the Texas power grid even handle opening back up 100% of the state?

Hilarious  I wish I could rep this 1,000 times!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 09:30 AM)Stewy Wrote: Businesses are smarter than Abbott.  Most grocery store chains, drug stores, and big restaurant chains are still mandating masks for workers and customers.

My company sent a memo yesterday that nothing has changed for us and that we're following CDC guidelines not what Texas is doing.  The biggest problem is the level of spread that is going to happen over Spring Break....it's going to be bed.

I generally agree with this, but the retailers aren't generally the big spreaders. Opening up bars, restaurants and nightclubs 100% is dangerously irresponsible.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:27 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I generally agree with this, but the retailers aren't generally the big spreaders. Opening up bars, restaurants and nightclubs 100% is dangerously irresponsible.

You mean dangerously freedom!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You mean dangerously freedom!

Like Bels said....this is capitalism. Interest of society be damned.
Reply/Quote
Good way to stop talking about the power grid failure
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:27 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I generally agree with this, but the retailers aren't generally the big spreaders. Opening up bars, restaurants and nightclubs 100% is dangerously irresponsible.

The general public have to go to stores and they are not the big spreaders.

Going to a restaurant or nightclub is 100% a choice.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:45 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Like Bels said....this is capitalism. Interest of society be damned.

Well yeah, but politicians screaming FREEDOM has a more palatable ring to it than "MAKE SOME MONEY AND HAVE SOME FUN IN THE SHORT TERM AND RISK DECLARING BANKRUPTCY WHEN YOUR MEDICAL BILLS MOUNT!"
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good way to stop talking about the power grid failure

Just think of the rates GRIDDY can charge people who need ventilators.  Ventilator fee!  Pay up?
Reply/Quote
1/38th of NYC has died in 15 months out of the entire USA. Why are not all states open 100%?
Reply/Quote
I'm actually curious how this will go.

Abbott has taken Texas and turned it into one gigantic lab experiment to see if the percent of adults vaccinated to this point has exceeded the mark at which new infections don't fill the hospital.

I mean, it's absolutely insane to do it because Biden has already said he expects everyone who wants a vaccine to have one available to them within a few months, so it's a completely unnecessary test to see if we're past that watermark of safety, but it'll at least be interesting to see the results.

I personally would not want to be the guinea pig in that experiment, which is what Abbott is making every resident of Texas by doing this...

Let's see if the state re-spikes or not. I'll be rooting for them.
Reply/Quote