Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has the rebuild begun?
I'm a firm believer that the Bengals are in the process of rebuilding the team. This means letting a lot of the FA's walk and focus on drafting future players. I will be the first to say the rebuild is beginning. I'll be surprised if the Bengals are in contention for another 5 years. You heard it here first.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
If that was true then why go half-assed? I'd trade Dalton to the Browns for their 2 first rounders...if we could get that. Then trade Green, Atkins and Dunlap because they'd be too old by the time the team would be built up again anyway and you could maximize their trade value.

Course have all those draft picks doesn't mean squat since they don't have a true scouting staff to rebuild the team anyway. I wouldn't trust them doing this rebuild either! LOL
Reply/Quote
It's the NFL. Everybody rebuilds every year. Some pretty weak trolling, really.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
True rebuilds don't happen in the NFL. It's a case of you have a good coach and have a good QB or you don't. Teams that have the combination of good coach and good QB = winners. Mediocre coach with decent QB = middle of the pack. No QB or Bad coach = dumpster fire.

Look at Seattle, dumpster fire...gets Russel Wilson and he fits the scheme of Pete Carroll and they are a quality team. Sure, they have a good defense, but honestly in today's NFL it's all about the QB.

Matt Ryan is a great QB, but didn't have the coach and scheme he needed till this year. New coach...and Super Bowl. The Colts were competitive with nothing besides Peyton and Harrison.

The only real rebuild is drafting a new franchise QB and not striking out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they don't resign Zietler, then a complete rebuild of the Oline will be necessary. I am wondering how long that process will take? How many Dalton broken bones and seasons of 2.5 yards avg per rush. Sigh..... who dey.
Reply/Quote
the window has slammed shut on this team we should have beaten the steelers in that playoff game until a couple penalties by burfict and pacman cost us the game. we were the better team that game and that year. we have far too many holes on this current roster going forward now and we put ourselves in a situation where we must ace this upcoming draft. but we will draft some head scratchers a reclamation project and guy a or two who will ride the bench for the first 3 years. fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 12:47 AM)seahawkscheat Wrote: the window has slammed shut on this team we should have beaten the steelers in that playoff game until a couple penalties by burfict and pacman cost us the game. we were the better team that game and that year. we have far too many holes on this current roster going forward now and we put ourselves in a situation where we must ace this upcoming draft. but we will draft some head scratchers a reclamation project and guy a or two who will ride the bench for the first 3 years. fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me etc.

And you know....a HUGE fumble by Hill. But hey, let's keep blaming the guy who was the only reason we were even in the game. 

As to the OP, no we're not in a rebuild. We still have a very solid core group. The only thing we need to rebuild is the coaching staff. 

Reply/Quote
Until we get a coach who can actually COACH UP offensive linemen in the current NFL it's all kind of pointless.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: Until we get a coach who can actually COACH UP offensive linemen in the current NFL it's all kind of pointless.

yup,

and a HC who doesn't still think it's 1982
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: Until we get a coach who can actually COACH UP offensive linemen in the current NFL it's all kind of pointless.

team will never win a playoff game with Marv as coach and Bodine as center.

Bodine will be the center as long as PA is the coach

we know we will lose to Steelers twice next year and either not make playoffs or go out in first game.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 12:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: True rebuilds don't happen in the NFL. It's a case of you have a good coach and have a good QB or you don't. Teams that have the combination of good coach and good QB = winners. Mediocre coach with decent QB = middle of the pack. No QB or Bad coach = dumpster fire.

Look at Seattle, dumpster fire...gets Russel Wilson and he fits the scheme of Pete Carroll and they are a quality team. Sure, they have a good defense, but honestly in today's NFL it's all about the QB.

Matt Ryan is a great QB, but didn't have the coach and scheme he needed till this year. New coach...and Super Bowl. The Colts were competitive with nothing besides Peyton and Harrison.

The only real rebuild is drafting a new franchise QB and not striking out.

I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't call Palmer and Dalton both strike-outs.  I can't imagine most HCs and franchises that wouldn't be able to get a single playoff win out of 13 years of Palmer and Dalton, but that's just speculation.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm a firm believer that the Bengals are in the process of rebuilding the team. This means letting a lot of the FA's walk and focus on drafting future players. I will be the first to say the rebuild is beginning. I'll be surprised if the Bengals are in contention for another 5 years. You heard it here first.

The only problem with your theory is that they would be letting 2 guys go (Dre and Z) that would be part of the rebuild.

This team doesn't need a complete overhaul.  There are a ton of pieces in place already.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 11:40 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm a firm believer that the Bengals are in the process of rebuilding the team. This means letting a lot of the FA's walk and focus on drafting future players. I will be the first to say the rebuild is beginning. I'll be surprised if the Bengals are in contention for another 5 years. You heard it here first.

And the Mr. Obvious Award goes to...

We have the 2nd oldest starting defense in the NFL. Also, we have the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL. It's quite obvious that the Bengals have to rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 11:46 PM)count35 Wrote: If that was true then why go half-assed? I'd trade Dalton to the Browns for their 2 first rounders...if we could get that. Then trade Green, Atkins and Dunlap because they'd be too old by the time the team would be built up again anyway and you could maximize their trade value.

Course have all those draft picks doesn't mean squat since they don't have a true scouting staff to rebuild the team anyway. I wouldn't trust them doing this rebuild either! LOL

There's no way that the Browns would give the 1st overall pick and 12th for Dalton. No way. And honestly...I doubt if Dalton would succeed there.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 12:46 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: If they don't resign Zietler, then a complete rebuild of the Oline will be necessary. I am wondering how long that process will take? How many Dalton  broken bones and seasons of 2.5 yards avg per rush. Sigh..... who dey.

Agreed. They'd need 3 new lineman. Whitworth is already the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL. Even if he stays for 2 years...his play is going to eventually decline.
Reply/Quote
Some good points. However, what are the Bengals doing in the FA market? I know it's early, but you'd think the Front Office would at least state who they want to keep. Look at last year letting Marvin Jones and Sanu walk. Then, they become good players on another team where the Bengals could have used them.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 11:02 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Some good points. However, what are the Bengals doing in the FA market? I know it's early, but you'd think the Front Office would at least state who they want to keep. Look at last year letting Marvin Jones and Sanu walk. Then, they become good players on another team where the Bengals could have used them.

The plan was to keep Marvin Jones last year. They actually offered him more money than the Lions. Had Jones been kept...Iloka was gone. When Jones signed with Detroit, they shifted the money to Iloka.

Oh...they are putting out there who they want to keep. Read between the lines on Bengals.com. Whitworth and Kirkpatrick will be their targets. They'll let Zeitler walk.

Now, if the Patriots offer Whitworth a nice deal...all bets may be off.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And the Mr. Obvious Award goes to...

We have the 2nd oldest starting defense in the NFL. Also, we have the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL. It's quite obvious that the Bengals have to rebuild.

So what? Whit is still one of the best. Look at what Brady just did in the SB, ffs. 

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 10:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't call Palmer and Dalton both strike-outs.  I can't imagine most HCs and franchises that wouldn't be able to get a single playoff win out of 13 years of Palmer and Dalton, but that's just speculation.

I totally agree and I am not calling Dalton or Palmer Strike-outs. Both of them have the ability to win and have been winners, but they are matched up with a head coach that is a little...well not so great at game managing and prep.

It falls under that line of good QB...and decent HC (I say decent because the guy did manage to build some great defenses in Baltimore and he is a good at finding talent, just can't make the in game chess moves work.)

So, take the average HC and give him an above average QB and you find yourself in the middle of the pack or on the high end of that middle. Can get to the playoffs but not enough to get over the hump when playing teams that have good coaching and good QB play. 

The team either needs to get a coach in here that can motivate and game plan (and flush the bad position coaches) or they need to get a guy under center who can just overcome bad coaching to get it done.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't think so.

We have a franchise quarterback. We have one of the elite wide receivers. We have a deadly red zone weapon at tight end (when healthy). We have one of the best interior defensive lineman. We have one of the most feared linebackers in the NFL. We have a pass rushing defensive end that is a monster at batting balls down.

We're not rebuilding. It's time for improvement.

We lack another linebacker outside of Burfict. We need another pass rusher besides Dunlap. We need a speed WR.

We have talent. We have good players. So far, we could lose Kirkpatrick and Zeitler as worst case scenario. Kirkpatrick may be an easier blow (if they keep Pacman). But honestly, we're still in pretty good shape.

The biggest concern, for me, is play calling on offense and actually getting improvements in spots. Can you imagine how much better our defense would be if we had a player like Deion Jones that could cover? Or if we had a pass rusher like Solomon Thomas or Derek Barnett so teams don't completely double team Dunlap and Atkins all game? Or a wide receiver like DeSean Jackson that not only spreads the field but can track balls in the air?

The Bengals aren't in rebuild mode. They're just finally being forced to make improvements over their "solid" contributors.

It's finally time to start out young players.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote