Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have Bengals Ever Not Won A Division Game ???
I've been a fan since 1968, and I don't remember Bengals losing every division game. Not even in 1968 in AFL West, I think they beat the Chargers once. Bengals have had their 4 win seasons or less, but they seemed to always include a division game win.

If anybody knows another season that Bengals got swept by the division teams, please let me know which season.

OK, Bengals haven't been swept yet, there is still the Cleveland Browns game at end of season. This however is not the last place Browns that Bengals got some wins off of in some of Bengals worst seasons. Bengals still have one last chance to avoid The AFC North Sweep.

Again, if anybody knows a season Bengals did not win a division game, please post the season. As a long time fan, I can't remember one.

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 12:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I've been a fan since 1968, and I don't remember Bengals losing every division game.  Not even in 1968 in AFL West, I think they beat the Chargers once. Bengals have had their 4 win seasons or less, but they seemed to always include a division game win.  

If anybody knows another season that Bengals got swept by the division teams, please let me know which season.  

OK, Bengals haven't been swept yet, there is still the Cleveland Browns game at end of season.  This however is not the last place Browns that Bengals got some wins off of in some of Bengals worst seasons.  Bengals still have one last chance to avoid The AFC North Sweep.

Again, if anybody knows a season Bengals did not win a division game, please post the season. As a long time fan, I can't remember one.  

Tiger

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes. 2002 and 1993. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 01:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yes. 2002 and 1993. 

To be fair to Kev, we didn't get to watch many of those games due to blackouts. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
10-20 against the division with Zac. Oof

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 12:56 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: 2002

Thank you.  2002.   The only thing I remember from that awful season was Tampa Warren Sapp sacking Akili Smith and sitting on top of him saying, " I don't feel sorry for you. "   That was in the newspapers.  The story was Smith was getting paid, and Sapp didn't feel sorry for how bad Tampa was beating them.   I also remember a guy at work was trying to give away his season tickets during season.  Our computer expert tech.  He said in 2002 that you couldn't sell them, because everybody was trying to sell them and couldn't.  He offered the free tickets to me and said I could see the new stadium.  I refused because I didn't want to drive 70 miles there and 70 miles back to watch a team as bad as the 2002 Bengals were.  

OK, that was a horrible season. Just 2 wins.  Smith was awful, that was a bad pick. Coaches and Smith would be fired and Marvin Lewis and Carson Palmer brought in.  Gus Ferrotte was at QB in a game at Cleveland and tried to throw the ball with his left hand and worst pass I ever saw, right to a Browns player.  When reporters said he isn't left handed, Gus said he didn't think Browns knew that.  Yes, 2002 was a team to forget.  Fans unable to sell Bengals tickets found they couldn't even give them away.  

Also added was the 1993 Bengals, a team that was called The Bungles by ESPN. Coach Dave Shula, they were awful. You look at the list of players that team had, and almost none belonged in the NFL. Paul Brown had died, and Mike Brown and Family didn't have a clue without Paul Brown in 1993. I remember fans complaining about Klingler at QB, but I felt sorry for him. As soon as the ball was snapped he was getting clobbered every single play. The worst blocking I've ever see on the Bengals, and that is saying something, because this franchise has had bad blocking years, but 1993 there was no blocking at all.

Yes, 1993 and 2002 were very bad teams. I think the 2023 team is far better and it would be a shame to see them join those teams on getting division swept.

Yes, games blacked out in 1993 and 2002 was actually a good thing. In 1993 I remember playing tennis one Sunday and we had the game on radio as announcers saying Klinger getting hit as soon as the ball was snapped every play. That was the worst blocking team I ever saw. 2008 Bengals blocking was awful also, but 1993 was the worst. 1993 and 2002, those were the Bungles years, as per ESPN. Bengals were called the worst franchise in all of sports that decade, not just NFL, worst in all of sports. So blackouts were a good thing some seasons. As a Fan, I had been spoiled by good blocking in 1970's and 1980's. 1990's started to show me how bad a team looks with no blocking. The worst was drafting Ki Jana Carter and as he was still getting hand-off in backfield, he was hit by 3 Detroit Lions and career injured due to that awful blocking. It was as if there was no offensive line at all. Defenses really teed off on Bengals QBs and RB's. The old rules, so defenses could really lay the hits on, it was still legal.

1993 and 2002 were two of the worst teams to ever walk onto an NFL field. I can't say that about 2023, but they could join this group of getting division swept.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 12:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I've been a fan since 1968, and I don't remember Bengals losing every division game.  Not even in 1968 in AFL West, I think they beat the Chargers once. Bengals have had their 4 win seasons or less, but they seemed to always include a division game win.  

OK, Bengals haven't been swept yet, there is still the Cleveland Browns game at end of season.  This however is not the last place Browns that Bengals got some wins off of in some of Bengals worst seasons.  Bengals still have one last chance to avoid The AFC North Sweep.

Tiger

Good news is, if the Browns win this week, they clinch the #5 seed and will have nothing to play for in week 18.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 01:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 10-20 against the division with Zac. Oof

with two division championships... interesting twist.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: with two division championships... interesting twist.

2 Division Championships
2 (probably 3) 4th places

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 12:52 PM)kevin Wrote: I've been a fan since 1968, and I don't remember Bengals losing every division game. Not even in 1968 in AFL West, I think they beat the Chargers once. Bengals have had their 4 win seasons or less, but they seemed to always include a division game win.

OK, Bengals haven't been swept yet, there is still the Cleveland Browns game at end of season. This however is not the last place Browns that Bengals got some wins off of in some of Bengals worst seasons. Bengals still have one last chance to avoid The AFC North Sweep.

Tiger

Yup! This year is about to make it the 3rd time.
Reply/Quote
If we beat the Chiefs I expect us to beat the Browns in the last game.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 01:29 PM)kevin Wrote: Thank you.  2002.   The only thing I remember from that awful season was Tampa Warren Sapp sacking Akili Smith and sitting on top of him saying, " I don't feel sorry for you. "   That was in the newspapers.  The story was Smith was getting paid, and Sapp didn't feel sorry for how bad Tampa was beating them.   I also remember a guy at work was trying to give away his season tickets during season.  Our computer expert tech.  He said in 2002 that you couldn't sell them, because everybody was trying to sell them and couldn't.  He offered the free tickets to me and said I could see the new stadium.  I refused because I didn't want to drive 70 miles there and 70 miles back to watch a team as bad as the 2002 Bengals were.  

OK, that was a horrible season. Just 2 wins.  Smith was awful, that was a bad pick. Coaches and Smith would be fired and Marvin Lewis and Carson Palmer brought in.  Gus Ferrotte was at QB in a game at Cleveland and tried to throw the ball with his left hand and worst pass I ever saw, right to a Browns player.  When reporters said he isn't left handed, Gus said he didn't think Browns knew that.  Yes, 2002 was a team to forget.  Fans unable to sell Bengals tickets found they couldn't even give them away.  

Also added was the 1993 Bengals, a team that was called The Bungles by ESPN.  Coach Dave Shula, they were awful.  You look at the list of players that team had, and almost none belonged in the NFL.  Paul Brown had died, and Mike Brown and Family didn't have a clue without Paul Brown in 1993.   I remember fans complaining about Klingler at QB, but I felt sorry for him.  As soon as the ball was snapped he was getting clobbered every single play.  The worst blocking I've ever see on the Bengals, and that is saying something, because this franchise has had bad blocking years, but 1993 there was no blocking at all.  

Yes, 1993 and 2002 were very bad teams.  I think the 2023 team is far better and it would be a shame to see them join those teams on getting division swept.

Yes, games blacked out in 1993 and 2002 was actually a good thing.  In 1993 I remember playing tennis one Sunday and we had the game on radio as announcers saying Klinger getting  hit as soon as the ball was snapped every play.  That  was the worst blocking team I ever saw.  2008 Bengals blocking was awful also, but 1993 was the worst.  1993 and 2002, those were the Bungles years, as per ESPN.  Bengals were called the worst franchise in all of sports that decade, not just NFL, worst in all of sports.  So blackouts were a good thing some seasons. As a Fan, I had been spoiled by good blocking in 1970's and 1980's.   1990's started to show me how bad a team looks with no blocking.  The worst was drafting Ki Jana Carter and as he was still getting hand-off in backfield, he was hit by 3 Detroit Lions and career injured due to that awful blocking.  It was as if there was no offensive line at all. Defenses really teed off on Bengals QBs and RB's.  The old rules, so defenses could really lay the hits on, it was still legal.  

1993 and 2002 were two of the worst teams to ever walk onto an NFL field.  I can't say that about 2023, but they could join this group of getting division swept.

Yeah, my guy Klingler didn't get a fair shake.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we beat the Chiefs I expect us to beat the Browns in the last game.

If we take care of the Chiefs, I expect a perfect score vs AFCN.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 03:01 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Yeah, my guy Klingler didn't get a fair shake.

Boy had a gun, he could throw & throw hard. He never had a shot at being decent.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: with two division championships... interesting twist.

Leonard Leap “ damn that Zac Taylor he won the division 2 years in a row and AFC Championship as well but he didn’t beat Cleveland” He makes my day with some of his non stop criticism of Zac. Gotta hand it too him he longs for the great Marvin Lewis years lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 05:16 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Boy had a gun, he could throw & throw hard. He never had a shot at being decent.

Dude, I was in the DP in the early 90s, in full on Bengals gear, freezing ass cold with snow flurries, and watched Klingler get sacked 9 times! He may have had good arm, and I was excited about the pick at the time as well, but he had concrete feet. He ended up shell shocked and could never decide when to release the ball.  Huge bust!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 05:16 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Boy had a gun, he could throw & throw hard. He never had a shot at being decent.

Yes, but Jeff Blake replaced him and had immediate success. I agree that the disastrous 1993 season ruined Klingler.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2 Division Championships
2 (probably 3) 4th places

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Lol

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.  Wasn't it 1998 when we went 3-13 but that 3 included 2 wins against the Steelers?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we beat the Chiefs I expect us to beat the Browns in the last game.

Not sure what happen this season to give you such high hopes. We can’t beat the Browns with a healthy Burrow, and still can’t beat their 4th string QB. The way I’m looking at it, if we can’t get one lousy win in our division, we definitely don’t belong in the play offs.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 01:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: Good news is, if the Browns win this week, they clinch the #5 seed and will have nothing to play for in week 18.  

Actually, if Cleveland wins tonight and then Miami beats Baltimore on Sunday, Cleveland could then win the division if they can beat us and the Steelers can beat the Ravens (they split with the Ravens but would have a 4-2 division record versus Baltimore's 3-3).  Granted, that's a lot of ifs and relies on Baltimore dropping their last two games, but I'm sure they'll schedule our game and their game at the same time so the Browns will have to go pedal-to-the-metal against us.  But, if (when) Cleveland wins tonight we have to hope for a Baltimore win on Sunday for the Browns to have zero incentive come week 18.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote