Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have Hopes of a New Coach Coming In and Turning Us Around?
Why isn't Coughlin our coach? Why did the Bengals pick Lewis in 2003?

People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

The Bengals' personnel department is the league's smallest. Coughlin had 11 people in his personnel department in Jacksonville, where he was general manager and offensive coordinator.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/10/wwwben1a10.html
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why isn't Coughlin our coach?

People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

The Bengals' personnel department is the league's smallest. Coughlin had 11 people in his personnel department in Jacksonville, where he was general manager and offensive coordinator.

Lord have mercy, we do not need Grandpa Coughlin. 
Reply/Quote
That was from 2004...but it shows the thought process. Any coach who comes in and wants to change to much...will not be hired in favor of a more agreeable coach.

A guy like Zimmer for instance wouldn't fit in well here.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why isn't Coughlin our coach?

Because he's in his 70s?
Because it's unlikely a guy in his 70s — who hasn't had success in 5 or 6 years — would likely spearhead a successful 3-4 year rebuilding.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think a new coach would help but he would be hamstrung by Mike Brown. For instance we need 4 new offensive lineman and we don’t really use free agency so even if we draft 2 lineman in the 1st 2 rounds we would be relying on multiple rookies to turn the online around immediately and they might not pan out in later years because the draft is a crab shoot. Or even if they become good overtime other holes will open in the roster and we would again have to rely on the draft to fill the majority of them.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was from 2004...but it shows the thought process. Any coach who comes in and wants to change to much...will not be hired in favor of a more agreeable coach.

A guy like Zimmer for instance wouldn't fit in well here.

Right on all accounts.  Who knows how this would have all panned out had Coughlin been brought into the fold in 2003.  He may very well be in the FO by now (like in Jacksonville) after a successful stretch on the sidelines having built us into an actual contender.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right on all accounts.  Who knows how this would have all panned out had Coughlin been brought into the fold in 2003.  He may very well be in the FO by now (like in Jacksonville) after a successful stretch on the sidelines having built us into an actual contender.

Yep...but he wanted that front office right off the bat. Which is why he didn't come. He didn't think he could win here the way the system was setup.

In a lot of ways a guy like Lewis was the perfect fit for the Brown family. He had been passed over for other HC jobs. He has a pleasant demeanor. (He got angry at a press conference and walked out laughing.)
Reply/Quote
Maybe Cowher will come here?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Cowher will come here?

LOL.....boy that would ramp up the intensity between Pitt and Cincy wouldn't it?  Like Pitino to Louisville and the BBN.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 05:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Cowher will come here?

We already have a Steeler fan as a coach... why would we want another to replace him?
Reply/Quote
The link is broken now, but we essentially got Marvin because Coughlin didn't know if he could win here with the size of the personnel dept and presumably wanted a GM.
Reply/Quote
It may be possible, but I highly doubt any coach will win a championship with this current front office.

I actually agree with a conservative approach to free agency. They cost a lot of money, and they often flop with the new team. The only way to be a consistently good team in the NFL is to concentrate and build through the draft. But if you do build a roster with enough talent to compete for a championship you have to step up in free agency and sign one or two top quality guys to fill the final holes.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It may be possible, but I highly doubt any coach will win a championship with this current front office.

I actually agree with a conservative approach to free agency.  They cost a lot of money, and they often flop with the new team.  The only way to be a consistently good team in the NFL is to concentrate and build through the draft.  But if you do build a roster with enough talent to compete for a championship you have to step up in free agency and sign one or two top quality guys to fill the final holes.

You know Fred, when we talk about spending in free agency...many people point to the Redskins. I don't think anyone advocates signing the most expensive guy.

What we want is 2-3 Tier B guys for a few years at positions of need. Or...maybe keep Whitworth and Zeitler if external free agents aren't our thing.

As far as the draft, teams that want to draft well generally have a large scouting department.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Because he's in his 70s?
Because it's unlikely a guy in his 70s — who hasn't had success in 5 or 6 years — would likely spearhead a successful 3-4 year rebuilding.

He would bring what we need the most and that's discipline. If I learned tomorrow he was our new HC? I would be stoked. Age doesn't scare me. If anything, he has a ton of experience to turn this organization around. Will be tough killing all the molded thinking Marvin has let grow in the organization. 

Ok, there is 1 old guy that scares me. MB! He's like that loser that marries your daughter who ain't worth spit but there's nothing you can do about it.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He would bring what we need the most and that's discipline. If I learned tomorrow he was our new HC? I would be stoked. Age doesn't scare me. If anything, he has a ton of experience to turn this organization around. Will be tough killing all the molded thinking Marvin has let grow in the organization. 

Ok, there is 1 old guy that scares me. MB! He's like that loser that marries your daughter who ain't worth spit but there's nothing you can do about it.

The context of this was when the Bengals interviewed Coughlin, Marvin, and Mularkey. So 16 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The context of this was when the Bengals interviewed Coughlin, Marvin, and Mularkey. So 16 years ago.

Yes, I knew this when I was typing. I would trust him if he was named coach tomorrow just by what he would bring to the table. Yes, I know that wont, can't happen. I was just sayin.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 12:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why isn't Coughlin our coach? Why did the Bengals pick Lewis in 2003?

This article says that Coughlin not also being named GM was the potential sticking point...

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1486759.html

That would follow because Coughlin was the Jag's GM and HC and being just a HC would be a step down.  Coughlin didn't coach anywhere the year after being fired.

Keep in mind that Tom's "action plan" hinged around him being GM, HC, and OC.  Wearing that many hats, he would need a large support staff.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: This article says that Coughlin not also being named GM was the potential sticking point...

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1486759.html

That would follow because Coughlin was the Jag's GM and HC and being just a HC would be a step down.  Coughlin didn't coach anywhere the year after being fired.

Keep in mind that Tom's "action plan" hinged around him being GM, HC, and OC.  Wearing that many hats, he would need a large support staff.

Yes. I read similar.

I read where he wanted to bring our scouting Dept up to 11 which was the low end of the NFL and a GM. Interesting that the GM was him.

Those were sticking points.
Reply/Quote
Old retreads shouldn't be an option. It's an evolving game in a renaissance right now and going for someone who still has an "old school" mentality is not a way to win. If we aren't going to be the most well staffed in terms of numbers, or the best facilities, we need to be the most innovative.
Reply/Quote
I said it on other thread. Urban Meyer. The guy said he would only coach two nfl teams bengals or browns. He's spent almost his entire life in Ohio and has succeeded everywhere he has gone.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote